Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So are Reading really a better project ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Exactly, which makes your initial statement a bit narrow minded in all honesty.

It is a forum where people are free to express their feelings. I may be right, I may be wrong.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The fact is we should have gone up last season,quite comfortably and worry we won't get such a good opportunity again for years.

And why didn't we go up? Squad not good enough, wasn't that? Budget not good enough, wasn't that either? Manager insists on drab defensive formation and lacks a plan B, more than likely.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So Poyets not that good then? make your mind up

The team let him down really. Poyet persuaded Kuszczak, Bridge, Vicente, Upson, Lopez and many others to play for BHAFC. Not sure many other managers could have, at the time.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The team let him down really. Poyet persuaded Kuszczak, Bridge, Vicente, Upson, Lopez and many others to play for BHAFC. Not sure many other managers could have, at the time.

:lol: priceless. The players let Poyet down :ffsparr: Poyet had a ridiculously strong team, credit to him for building it (and TB for funding it) but the problem was he didn't use it well enough. You can't be going away to near relegated Bristol City and playing 1 winger and 1 striker, not take a single shot all match and expect to be good enough to get promoted. Drab turgid football. Sometimes it was beautiful, but sometimes it was dross.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The fact is we should have gone up last season,quite comfortably and worry we won't get such a good opportunity again for years.

Which would suggest gus underachieved with the squad we had.

Too early to be writing Oscar off as an inferior alternative and would be nice to see him afforded the same luxury poyet had with time to develop the team and squad to fit his style.

As far as I am concerned Oscar can have this season to develop his style and add players to fit his way of working. I doubt we will better last seasons finish this time around as Oscar has not had the championship season under his belt that gus had.

However I am far happier with Oscar at the helm and generally feel positive about the Albion post poyet

Time to move on

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Poyet being a bottle job at home was the issue in my opinion more worried about the Poyet CV than taking risks.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Whatever way you slice it Poyet is big shoes to fill. I am not sure Garcia is the Man to do this. It is a massive gamble. He got a team the league in 26 games in Israel. It is a different ball game here and the league is light years ahead of the Israel league and a thousand times more competative. Poyet moulded a team that were the best in the league for the second half of the season which had the joint lowest defeats and goals conceeded. It is a shame the wheels came off so spectacularly but I think the relationship between Poyet and Bloom was breaking down at the end of 2012, remember when one of our strikers, Barnes , I think, missed a one on one at Home and Poyet turned to look at Bloom and shrugged his shoulders. Bloom brought in Barber, maybe as a way of forcing Poyet's hand as they hate each other. I don't think either side have come out of it very well and Bloom is not infallible just because he has a bulging wallet.

36 games actually. The league their splits after 26 games and the last 10 games are played between the top 6 for the championship. His side only lost 1 of those last 10 games.

Also where is the actual evidence that Poyet and Barber hate each other, no-one has been able to provide any evidence of this. Just because Barber was at Spurs when Poyet was let go doesn't mean it's automatically the case. In football, more often than not, when the manager goes most of his backroom staff also leave. Poyet knows this and will get no-where in football if he holds grudges. In his recent interview on Sky he mentions wanting us to continue to do well so he doesn't come across someone who holds a grudge.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yes, Reading is a better project with much greater likelihood in being promoted with both parachute payments and rich owners to support such a mission. It's not as romantic or classy in the longterm, but for the next few years it could well be filled with high drama and greater prospects.

This, though there is more an element of risk in going there as if you arent doing well, say if Gus had his usual bad spell for however many matches during November and December and Reading slumped to 15th - he would be sacked as they have higher expectations than us.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The crux for me:

Reading now = better prospect than us.
5 years' time = with the completed academy and the Amex fully bedded in, we'll be the better prospect and project for a manager.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Whatever way you slice it Poyet is big shoes to fill. I am not sure Garcia is the Man to do this. It is a massive gamble. He got a team the league in 26 games in Israel. It is a different ball game here and the league is light years ahead of the Israel league and a thousand times more competative. Poyet moulded a team that were the best in the league for the second half of the season which had the joint lowest defeats and goals conceeded. It is a shame the wheels came off so spectacularly but I think the relationship between Poyet and Bloom was breaking down at the end of 2012, remember when one of our strikers, Barnes , I think, missed a one on one at Home and Poyet turned to look at Bloom and shrugged his shoulders. Bloom brought in Barber, maybe as a way of forcing Poyet's hand as they hate each other. I don't think either side have come out of it very well and Bloom is not infallible just because he has a bulging wallet.

Never has so much conjecture been incorrectly put across as gospel fact.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
We still are a work in progress, when we get the Academy thoroughly operational. Then I think our project will be bigger then Reading's, but till then with their parachute payments and their Russian Owner, they will always have a bigger chance to get promoted to the Promise Land then we do at this present time.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Lets not forget Poyet did waste a fair sum of the transfer kitty by our standards this did cross my mind every time he moaned about budgets.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Reading are a better prospect than us this season. He is right. The rest, not sure. I am still in a funk over all this as Poyet is a better manager than Garcia by a long way and I think that will be proved this season. So Poyet is stirring the pot, it is hardly a suprise is it ?

FFS give Oscar a chance. We've played one game!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here