Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So are Reading really a better project ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This thread needs some fresh blood to step up with some opinions, it's a bit of a merry go round at the moment.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I can see many more old Poyet binfests in the months/years to come.

don't go back to the OP, we're having a good old Poyet binfest here :thumbsup:

but if you want to, yes I imagine we have a smidgeon more potential. However we don't know the potential extent of the investment by the new owners. But we're probably more similar clubs than most think.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Just because you've had your say..there may be others waiting in the wings

yep you never know the famous source might appear and really give us something to get our teeth into

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Where does it say that?

The original argument was about our budget, BW said we have a top six budget.

glasfryn said;

your job for your source has now been done mate more intrigue more people doubting whoever(but mostly in your case Gus) if you did set out to blacken the name of our last manager you have done a creditable job ...go slap your source on the back and have a drink together and whisper in his/her ear that if anyone finds out who it is the shite will really hit the fan .......or should that be customer

Oh and your source has probably shut up because he/she is sick of reading your shite on here

I said, glasfryn makes it sound like Poyet deserved an open cheque book? And it sounds like you do too?

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
yep you never know the famous source might appear and really give us something to get our teeth into

NOT Ernest :nono:

Edit just noticed you said source not SAUCE

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The original argument was about our budget, BW said we have a top six budget.

glasfryn said;

I said, glasfryn makes it sound like Poyet deserved an open cheque book? And it sounds like you do too?

I don't really care about any budget ..........it was aimed at the continual slagging off of Gus by bw

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
In my opinion we are a bigger club than Reading but they have been in the top flight, have millions to spend and was the Mad Stad going to be expanded to 40k plus in the future?.........so yes they are a bigger project.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
According to Gus Poyet...

Reading are a better project

"Everyone was agreed. Tony Bloom gave me permission to talk to the club. They made me an unbelievable offer, very difficult to refuse, and I was loyal and decided to stay.
"So how can you explain that somebody says to you he wants to leave and a week later he has got the chance to go to a Premiership club with a better deal, with a better project and he stays? It's not common sense, that's for sure.

Do you agree....

Personally I think he just did not want a relegation on his CV.

my opinion is that reading wanted him but weren't prepared to pay the compo to BHA - he tried to resign to get out of his contract - bloom wouldn't accept his resignation - he talks to Reading who say sorry gus we aint paying the compo and appoint adkins. Bloom Poyet relationship in tatters from that point on. The rest is as they say is history.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

I'm perfectly aware of what the conversation was, you still haven't said where is 'sounds' like either of us were saying Poyet should be given an open cheque book from what was said. For the record, I think he had more than enough money, but that he did ok with what he had.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The lack of any rationality on this board is shocking sometimes.

Did Gus over achieve ? Don't think anyone can say with any certainty exactly what his budget was. I know there are figures in the public domain showing we had a midtable budget but I'm afraid the signings we have made over last season compared to other clubs really don't support that as being accurate.

And if Gus did overachieve does that mean we should put up with his actions ? Certainly not, and it had to be stopped one way or another. Did the club go about it in the right way ? Possibly not but then was Gus acting in an appropriate manner as a manager of our football club... No not towards the end.

At the end of the day Gus was backed by Bloom and he delivered on many of the demands that were expected of him ahead of schedule in many cases and that will never change.

My view is things weren't happening quick enough for Gus and he wanted to push for more funds or a better opportunity and his obvious lack of understanding of FFP and continued quoting of other clubs bigger budgets pushed Bloom to breaking point and something had to give. Under those circumstances he was always obviously going to lose and it's created the situation we find ourselves in.

The 'Poyet years' will always be looked back on with massive pleasure and success for me and I thank him for what he has done to this club, he was the right man and was here at the right time for us. We both helped each other achieve the supposed 'project' goals both the club and Gus had.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
my opinion is that reading wanted him but weren't prepared to pay the compo to BHA - he tried to resign to get out of his contract - bloom wouldn't accept his resignation - he talks to Reading who say sorry gus we aint paying the compo and appoint adkins. Bloom Poyet relationship in tatters from that point on. The rest is as they say is history.

That's a new and not impossible potential scenario, but would the club have allowed Gus to speak to Reading if they weren't willing to pay the compensation. There is also the rumour that Gus was going to sign but changed his mind at the 11th hour.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

No, Reading approached Brighton and we agreed the fee for him to join them, and then we told Gus that Reading are interested and he should take the job.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Nope, I haven't seen one post on this thread by BW that has slagged off Gus.

Maybe I've missed it, if I have can you quote the post that has upset you?

In your desperate attempts to be heard, you must have missed this one:

TBH I used to love the guy, then he started showing his true colours. Suarez, refs, budgets, Leeds love, other club desires, "me me me". However, I've never said he isn't a good manager; just a big-mouthed self-centred self-serving egotist, who lacks appreciation of what he threw away. Goon.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No, Reading approached Brighton and we agreed the fee for him to join them, and then we told Gus that Reading are interested and he should take the job.

At the time I was so pleased Gus didn't take the Reading job, seems it would have been better all round if he had. :shrug:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
TBH I used to love the guy, then he started showing his true colours. Suarez, refs, budgets, Leeds love, other club desires, "me me me". However, I've never said he isn't a good manager; just a big-mouthed self-centred self-serving egotist, who lacks appreciation of what he threw away. Goon.

In your desperate attempts to be heard, you must have missed this one:

beat me to it
I really am getting slow in my old age

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here