Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So all this global warning stuff is a crock of SHIT ?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Interesting programme that last night on C4, looks like the tree huggers are not that good at telling the truth I have to admit that I was willing to fall for it hook line and sinker until expert after expert seemed to dismiss it last night.

I'm going to think really hard in the future about making 'green' decisions where over the past few months I genuinely bought into the whole thing, I almost didnt buy the car I wanted to (even looked at that ridiculous Prius), but now I think I will after all.

Just goes to show there seems to be two sides to ever story.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Rougvie said:
Interesting programme that last night on C4, looks like the tree huggers are not that good at telling the truth I have to admit that I was willing to fall for it hook line and sinker until expert after expert seemed to dismiss it last night.

I'm going to think really hard in the future about making 'green' decisions where over the past few months I genuinely bought into the whole thing, I almost didnt buy the car I wanted to (even looked at that ridiculous Prius), but now I think I will after all.

Problem is, you can always find an 'expert' to endorse the point of view you want to get across. I think you'll find the number of experts who believe in man-made global warming now far outweighs those who don't. Even the Americans say it is, so it must be !

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Re: Re: So all this global warning stuff is a crock of SHIT ?

Tricky Dicky said:
Problem is, you can always find an 'expert' to endorse the point of view you want to get across. I think you'll find the number of experts who believe in man-made global warming now far outweighs those who don't. Even the Americans say it is, so it must be !

Seems to be a lot of 'intelligent' people falling for what they had to say if a snapshot of our dining area this afternoon is anything to go by

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Rougvie said:

Agree. This whole thing has been blown out of all proportion. The earth has gone through numerous ice ages and warmer periods in its life and this is one of the warmer bits.

I wonder quite how many of those experts are being funded, directly or indirectly, by the oil and motor industry. Go have a look, you may be surprised at quite how many of them seem to get some form of financial support from enron.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
readingstockport said:
I wonder quite how many of those experts are being funded, directly or indirectly, by the oil and motor industry. Go have a look, you may be surprised at quite how many of them seem to get some form of financial support from enron.
Fortunately Enron can't even fund itself these days - ExxonMobil however certainly can. Rum bunch.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
readingstockport said:

Aparently none of them recieve any funding at all from energy/motor industry. Paper this morning rates them all as leaders in their field, something WELL dodgy going on, maybe Goverments are trying to make us think Global Warming is a reality as they realise that Oil is running out and we are not going to be that happy when we have to attach windmills to our cars to make them work.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Its a cover up story so the likes of the Amercia and Us can stop the likes of India and China over taking us.

Diatribe

Feb 3, 2007
Rougvie said:

But there is also expert after expert lining up to say the opposite. In fact the majority of the scientific community believe the opposite.

I think that this is just what people would rather hear and believe though. It would be nice to believe we have no impact on our environment... no one would have to feel guilty and we could go on polluting.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
readingstockport said:
Source please? Which paper and a list of the names.

One of the free sheets, there is a list of the experts on the C4 website somewhere, personally I cant be arsed looking, got some new car websites to look at :jester:

The program was produced by a 'director' called Martin Durkin. Here is some information about Mr Durklin from George Monbiot's blog.

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2000/03/16/modified-truth/

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/1997/12/18/the-revolution-has-been-televised/

Now I know Monbiot has an axe to grind as he is an environmentalist but considering these are pretty serious allegations he has made I'm utterly amazed Durkin hasn't sued to have them removed - unless of course they have an element of truth in them.

This one from the independent quotes the fact that of 928 published peer reviewed papers not one doubted man's influence ion climate change.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/climate_change/article2326210.ece

Channel 4 in fact had to apologise for the distortion Durkin introduced into his previous program Against Nature due to his selective editing and misleading of interviewees. You chose, a proven liar and disembler and those he selectively interviews against 99% of the global scientific population.

Rougvie said:
One of the free sheets, there is a list of the experts on the C4 website somewhere, personally I cant be arsed looking, got some new car websites to look at :jester:

There isn't. I've checked, there is no list of the people he interviews so no way to check the claim they aren't funded by the energy industry.

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
Rougvie said:
Aparently none of them recieve any funding at all from energy/motor industry. Paper this morning rates them all as leaders in their field, something WELL dodgy going on, maybe Goverments are trying to make us think Global Warming is a reality as they realise that Oil is running out and we are not going to be that happy when we have to attach windmills to our cars to make them work.

Be very wary of 'experts' of any shape or form

At the end of the day these experts all seem to be rolling in it, and no-one does something for nothing.

Just because they are not funded by the energy/motor industry doesn't mean that they aren't being funded by someone who is heavily dependent on disproving global warming. For instance, aircraft manufacturers, travel industry, manufacturing industry, financial institutions heavily invested into any of these business'. Many universitys get there funding from industry etc.

This also goes for the green movement, for instance someone in the renewable energy industry would be very pleased in proving global warning.

I always ask yourself why they are happy to be seen as the expert, what's in it for them.

I'm a cynic me!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
readingstockport said:

That was the allegation in the programme, and it was flatly denied by all of them. Would be interesting to research it further.

But the founder of Greenpeace surely wouldn't turn that far, would he? ???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: So all this global warning stuff is a crock of SHIT ?

goldstone said:
Agree. This whole thing has been blown out of all proportion. The earth has gone through numerous ice ages and warmer periods in its life and this is one of the warmer bits.

I've said the same thing for ages and been shouted down (on here as well)
The co2 emissions just after World War 2 were much much higher than they are now and the temperature didn't rise at all until the 90's.
All climate change is cyclical. The polar ice starts melting which releases cold water into the Gulf stream which is what keeps us mild and so we get colder and the polar ice caps start freezing again. Instead of it taking 10 years it takes 100 years or so.

I have to chuckle when the media say it has been the warmest Feb (or whatever month it is) for 50 years as that says to me there was a warmer Feb, 50 years ago.

Even Uncle Spielberg said something on here the other day about it being the warmest winter for 400 years when Fahrenheit only invented the thermometer 300 years ago.
:dunce:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Safeway said:
Yorkie, was it like REALLY cold in the last Ice Age? :)

It was. I'm so glad there were so many woolly mammoths around as they made good eating and the hairy skin was great for making warm clothes.
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here