Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow v GDP

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If, as they say, this weather disruption is costing us £1bn a day in lost business, surely it makes sense to invest in our infrastrucutre to keep us running in these circumstances. I know we have little money to spend, but this would pay for itself very quickly. We can't fix everything, but keeping our trains running and airports open has to be a priority, no ?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
If, as they say, this weather disruption is costing us £1bn a day in lost business, surely it makes sense to invest in our infrastrucutre to keep us running in these circumstances. I know we have little money to spend, but this would pay for itself very quickly. We can't fix everything, but keeping our trains running and airports open has to be a priority, no ?

Don't be so sensible! :thumbsup:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Often wonder where these figures come from, I assume it is loss of trade from shops & Businesses ? if so if they don't come in and buy today, then they come in the next day, more of a cash flow irregularity than loss of trade isn’t it ?
Also I assume it for wages for those who could get into work ? then wages/salaries are a fixed overhead.

Think the governments just like to big up the figures for some reason.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Also I assume it for wages for those who could get into work ? then wages/salaries are a fixed overhead.

But the work doesn't get done. Agree about consumables etc., but if we don't work, the project will take longer and therefore cost more.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The figures quoted weren't government figures, they came from the association of insurers.

I do agree however that they're ludicrous figures and bear no resemblance to reality.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I hate how everything like this has to be turned into a number the biggest tragedy of this is not financial, it's human in those people struggling to get home and to family for Xmas.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The figures quoted weren't government figures, they came from the association of insurers.

I do agree however that they're ludicrous figures and bear no resemblance to reality.

As the reailty is impossible to calculate, it is also impossible to argue against the figures, but I agree they sound unlikely.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thing is you KNOW if we spend a load on being "snow-ready" we won't get any more snow for another 8 years and EXACTLY THE SAME PEOPLE who are complaining we aren't ready enough or well equipped enough would be complaining about all the money we wasted preparing for snow that doesn't come.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Often wonder where these figures come from, I assume it is loss of trade from shops & Businesses ? if so if they don't come in and buy today, then they come in the next day, more of a cash flow irregularity than loss of trade isn’t it ?

I'm not quite sure how it works but I don't think it is as simple as saying "ah, no problem. We'll make the money tomorrow." You could say this about most of the finances "ah, no worries, we'll pay the debt off next year." Also, all the time Britain is closed for business other Euro countries are still racking up the cash.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think the other thing is the perception abroad. We look like an ill-prepared country which cannot be arsed to rise to a challenge...which is not a good advertisment for investment. The response from BA and BAA was utterly pathetic to be honest and for once I agree with Boris.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I hate how everything like this has to be turned into a number the biggest tragedy of this is not financial, it's human in those people struggling to get home and to family for Xmas.

It's a shame for them, and not easy, but I think "tragedy" is a bit strong.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thing is you KNOW if we spend a load on being "snow-ready" we won't get any more snow for another 8 years and EXACTLY THE SAME PEOPLE who are complaining we aren't ready enough or well equipped enough would be complaining about all the money we wasted preparing for snow that doesn't come.

This. We hardly ever have snow like this: I can't remember it being so bad in my lifetime. We're not a Scandinavian country where such weather is routine, unless some boffin can produce irrevocable evidence that a period of severe cold winters is starting.

To prepare fully for every extreme of weather on the basis of what we've experienced this year would cost a phenomenal amount. Fleets of snowploughs for every town, most of which would sit redundant all year every year but still require maintaining. Larger fleets of gritters and more roads gritted? How much would councils have to pay in wages, fuel and other costs for that? Then if you're preparing for extreme snow simply because we might get it one day a year, it's only right to prepare for all other rare weather extremities. Sandbags for every town in case of a sudden torrential downpour? Improved flood defences for all coastal & riverside areas? Build new reservoirs everywhere for the once-in-a-blue-moon heatwave?

We're not unique in this: parts of France, Germany and Italy have also ground to a halt this week. It's just that we're the ones who seem to think we should never, ever be momentarily beaten by nature and moan most about it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This. We hardly ever have snow like this: I can't remember it being so bad in my lifetime. We're not a Scandinavian country where such weather is routine, unless some boffin can produce irrevocable evidence that a period of severe cold winters is starting.

To prepare fully for every extreme of weather on the basis of what we've experienced this year would cost a phenomenal amount. Fleets of snowploughs for every town, most of which would sit redundant all year every year but still require maintaining. Larger fleets of gritters and more roads gritted? How much would councils have to pay in wages, fuel and other costs for that? Then if you're preparing for extreme snow simply because we might get it one day a year, it's only right to prepare for all other rare weather extremities. Sandbags for every town in case of a sudden torrential downpour? Improved flood defences for all coastal & riverside areas? Build new reservoirs everywhere for the once-in-a-blue-moon heatwave?

We're not unique in this: parts of France, Germany and Italy have also ground to a halt this week. It's just that we're the ones who seem to think we should never, ever be momentarily beaten by nature and moan most about it.

I agee, but that is really my point. "IF" it is costing us so much, spending an amount, presumably a few tens of millions, would be recouped if we saved only a singles days worth of work. Whilst this is the worst I remember it, and I think I'm older than you, this is the second bad year running to my mind - although according to the news this is the 4th bad year running, I don't remember those.

It was only a discussion point really, I'm not sure we should spend it, I am just frustrated at not bieng able to know if I'm going to get to work and back each day by train. Shoreham to London is 50 miles, not 5,000, I ought to be able to plan with some confidence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I agree to a point but the general UK response to a bit of bad weather is to give up. As someone pointed out on here, when we had the last period of snow Southern were still running a reduced service and stopping all services at 10pm 4 days after the snow had cleared and temps were above 0. And as Boris pointed out...they could do a lot more and should rise to challenges...not shrink.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We're not unique in this: parts of France, Germany and Italy have also ground to a halt this week.

At the first sight of snow BA cancelled all flights to all short haul destinations on Saturday, including my flght to Berlin. Lufthansa on the other hand were still flying. Whilst other countries had problems they still tried. BA simply gave up as soon as they could. They're an embarrassment.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Too simplistic. Trade lost in some sectors (we own a pub) is trade lost forever. This weather is the pits.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Lost business? Pfft! My Co-op loves the chaos caused by the snow. Takings consistantly up between 50%-100% when there's a good covering of snow on the ground.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Lost business? Pfft! My Co-op loves the chaos caused by the snow. Takings consistantly up between 50%-100% when there's a good covering of snow on the ground.

But that's not "extra" business overall though is it ? Presumably that is just people shopping there rather than somewhere else, or stocking up instead of shopping later.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I agree to a point but the general UK response to a bit of bad weather is to give up. As someone pointed out on here, when we had the last period of snow Southern were still running a reduced service and stopping all services at 10pm 4 days after the snow had cleared and temps were above 0. And as Boris pointed out...they could do a lot more and should rise to challenges...not shrink.

This. Or at the very least get the information out quickly to all.

In this digital age there is no need for the example of people turning up at a train station: "Are there any trains?" "Dunno maybe, maybe not, think so, maybe a bit later, or alot later, not sure"

If no trains then say NO TRAINS.

Plus saying one thing on websites and staff saying something else is absolutely criminal in this day and age.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here