Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snow next week

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton rarely gets snow, too close to the sea. I used to work in Crawley, and it was always noticeable when driving there in wintry spells that the snow started more or less at the top of Handcross Hill. Yet Mid Sussex and further south would be largely untouched (except for Woodingdean, which is most unfair).

The far east of Sussex- bastard Hastings!!-, and most of Kent usually get any snow that's about, something to do with cold North Easterly winds I'm sure.

We just NEVER get good snow any more. I remember a couple of QUALITY snowfalls during my childhood. Once was when we lived in Seaford. And I can still remember the excitement of school being cancelled in Hurstpierpoint because there was a massive FOUR INCHES on the ground.
:lolol:

School being cancelled was almost as good as the snow itself. I think it lasted for about a week too, which is all great fun when you're eight years old.

Damn global warning, they just don't make winters like that any more :(

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Definitely going to snow in north Essex tonight :clap2:

The last time we had decent snow in January up here, about 3 years ago, the M11 was gridlocked for 17 hours.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bry Nylon said:
Definitely going to snow in north Essex tonight :clap2:

The last time we had decent snow in January up here, about 3 years ago, the M11 was gridlocked for 17 hours.

And loads of quite pathetic people, many of whom probably made rather unnecessary journeys, and then were caught out by freak weather, proceeded to moan all night at the overstretched council workers and emergency services for their "poor" response...

We are SO lame when it comes to weather in this country :lolol:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Tom Hark said:
* RUNS TO MR. SHAH'S MINI-MART TO LAY IN THREE MONTHS WORTH OF PROVISIONS IN ANTICIPATION OF THE SIX-FOOT SNOWDRIFTS IN BN1 *

Is that Mr Shah's at the end of Havelock Road? Christ, is he still going?

I wouldn't buy three months' worth of provisions at his ripoff prices....

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
edna krabappel said:
And loads of quite pathetic people, many of whom probably made rather unnecessary journeys, and then were caught out by freak weather, proceeded to moan all night at the overstretched council workers and emergency services for their "poor" response...

We are SO lame when it comes to weather in this country :lolol:

just out of interest what is deemed an unnecessary journey???

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
this so co , cold snap is infact nothing, the weathermen said " winter is here " er why, , because it is not going to be record breaking mild for a few days, this morning the so called cold weather is in fact quite heavy rain and 7c 45F , consider the average day max is 6C 43F so it is well above normal, tonight will fall to 1C 34F , gee wiz , how cold, that is infact average for late Jan and tomorrow's cold day has been downgraded from 3C 37F to 5C 41F and dry, Weds will be 4C 39F and dry and it will get warmer from Thursday, I remember 1987 max daytime temperature was -8C 18F and at nights it regularly fell below -10C 14F and there was 6 inches of snow which lasted for 3 weeks.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Uncle Spielberg said:
I remember 1987 max daytime temperature was -8C 18F and at nights it regularly fell below -10C 14F and there was 6 inches of snow which lasted for 3 weeks.

I remember that winter very clearly as well. Back then it was known as 1986.

I started a new job in Portslade about two days before the first big snow fall and ended up having to walk from and to Kemp Town.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We had 3 or 4 severe winters mid 80's with 4-7 inches of lying Snow even in Brighton. Temperatures by day of -8C max but oftern -2/-3C max and night temps of -10C was not unusual. Now a daytime max in late Jan of 7C 45F is regarded as " cold " :lolol: and the min tonight of 1C :lolol: , we will never see those winters again and now to get a slight frost overnight is a " winter event " , there is no snow and there will be no snow as temps by day are going to be 5C and night min 1C and this is the cold snap :lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Uncle Spielberg said:
Brighton will not see any snow and infact the temperatures aren'rt ven going to be particularly cold, just back to where they should , winter temperatures from 1/11 are about 10 f above normal and Jan is by far the warmest since records bgean 400 years ago , a full 9F above normal, it will feel cold because it won;t be exceptionally mild for a few days thats all.

Mon 8C 46F
Tues 4C 39F
Weds 4C 39F
Thurs 6C 43F
Fri 8C 46F

Normal for time of year 6C 43F

There may be some snow on Northern and Scottish hills thats all. Expect to Carol Kirkwood on top of the Yorkshire Moors at 2000 feet with some snow saying how cold it is sometime next week.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Uncle Spielberg said:
We had 3 or 4 severe winters mid 80's with 4-7 inches of lying Snow even in Brighton. Temperatures by day of -8C max but oftern -2/-3C max and night temps of -10C was not unusual. Now a daytime max in late Jan of 7C 45F is regarded as " cold " :lolol: and the min tonight of 1C :lolol: , we will never see those winters again and now to get a slight frost overnight is a " winter event " , there is no snow and there will be no snow as temps by day are going to be 5C and night min 1C and this is the cold snap :lolol:
Why dont you post ur silly goal smileys whith the ball rebounding back in to your unlucky swede, ru this good at forecasting money markets and investments:lol:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Uncle Spielberg said:
there is no snow and there will be no snow as temps by day are going to be 5C and night min 1C and this is the cold snap :lolol:

Yeah, that worked out then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here