Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking in public places

What should Britain do about smoking in public places?

• Keep it

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Ditch it

Votes: 27 65.9%

• Total voters

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Having been living in New Zealand for the past eight months (they banned smoking in public places on 10/12/04) I reckon that they should do the same in England. I was a smoker when I got here but quit in January. It's so much better, when you go for a night out you can get up in the morning and your clothes don't stink. It's so much nicer being in a pub without a thick layer of smoke everywhere. And I thought this when I was still smoking by the way.

What are your views please.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I only ever smoke if I go to the pub and it's pretty poor that in 2005 non-smokers who want to go to the pub have to sit in acrid conditions resembling some Victorian ale house. The sooner it's banned in pubs the sooner I can sever the booze/fags association and quit. There should be no smoking in public places and I'm amazed that you can still smoke, for example, in the Arndale Centre in Eastbourne.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I smoke, but stopped smoking in resturants a couple of years ago.

I don't go to pubs - not for about 5 years, anyway.

I smoke in the street, my car, my flat & Withdean.

I find lager breath offensive at Withdean so it works both ways there IMO.

This is a government bloody perfected clamp down or should I say so called clamp down. Why don’t they just go to the main source and ban the manufactures? Oh, shit, They can’t do that because they’ll lose all that tax they charge the public, even thou they are trying to ban the public from smoking in public. Am I talking in riddles here? Thought not.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Because people have a right to smoke if they want to. Why should they ban the manufacturers? Cars kill people but you cant ban them. And yes, you are talking in riddles, couldn't really work out what you were trying to say to be honest.

All this talk of smoking is making me want a cigarette again:nono:

Stumpy Tim

A couple of weeks ago New South Wales started a law that forces bars & restaurants to have open-air area's for smokers. Doesn't work at all because everyone wants to sit in the open areas because of the sun. It forces non-smokers into the dingy parts.

Ban smoking in restaurants & bars is the way forward

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Stumpy Tim said:
A couple of weeks ago New South Wales started a law that forces bars & restaurants to have open-air area's for smokers. Doesn't work at all because everyone wants to sit in the open areas because of the sun. It forces non-smokers into the dingy parts.

Ban smoking in restaurants & bars is the way forward

Yes Timothy, but I believe the question was "What should Britain do about smoking in public places?" And I found New South Wales a lot sunnier than Britain, so your point is not valid. Please only reply in future when you have something sensible to say.

:thumbsup:

I'm not bitter at all about you being able to stay in the sunny Southern Hemisphere whilst I have to leave.

:angry:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I understand both sides of the argument here having been a smoker for over 20 years (but now clear for 14)

I would have been incensed if smoking had been barred when I was a smoker. It doesn't worry me if someone smokes near me now. I grew up in a house where 3 adults smoked all the time.
I don't think smokers should be treated like lepers.

I also understand that people who don't smoke don't want to inhale other people's cigarettes.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I haven't smoked since my niece was born a few months ago, and had pretty much stopped prior to that.

I feel much better for having quit, which is nice, and entirely my choice.

My views about smoking in what are called "public" places are these. These "public" places are, in the main, privately owned premises. It is therefore up to the proprietor to decide the smoking policy for it, not the government.

Generally speaking businesses will follow the prevailing mood, so smoking in offices is virtually unheard of these days outside of designated areas. The same can be said for restaurants too, because people don't like smoking while they're eating. It is just common sense really, and pubs are more than capable of making common sense decisions about smoking too, whather it is in providing non-smoking areas, or improving ventilation.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
As someone who is in the middle of giving up (8 days & counting!!) i feel that the prevailing mood is one of apathy.

Those who smoke are up in arms about the possibility of a blanket ban but it seems to have worked in Ireland.

Is Brighton still going to be the guinea pig for this ??

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I would find it much easier to remain a non-smoker if there was a public ban, I have trouble only when I go to pubs or clubs. Its then I get the urge to smoke never anywhere else.
Ban as soon as possible please.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I think banning it entirely is a bit too strong for me - bit like a Nanny state..... but being able to have smoking and non smking areas in public places is preferable...

I get annoyed when people moan in pubs about smokers - my opinion is if you don't like smoke in pubs then don't go.......

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
jevs said:
Make the smoking of cigarettes, pipes, cigars etc totally illegal full stop.

From an ex-smoker of 18 months :clap2:

Yes, that's a great idea. I personally would love to see the violence and crime associated with other illegal drugs extended to tobacco dealing. :rolleyes:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
tedebear said:

I get annoyed when people moan in pubs about smokers - my opinion is if you don't like smoke in pubs then don't go.......

That's not a brilliant argument.

Im sure many people here would like to go to pubs for drinks with friends, but don't because of all the smoke there. I don't think it's fair that smokers can smoke in pubs and make massive clouds of shit that prevent non-smokers being able to go there.

And smoking and non-smoking areas rarely work as lots of pubs have poor extractor fans and so the smoke goes to the non-smoking areas anyway.

Then again, i suppose it is your own right to be able to smoke, so banning it could be an infringment of your human rights :rolleyes:

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
tedebear said:

That really is a pathetic statement.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Artois said:
That really is a pathetic statement.

Its not really...

I don't smoke - but I accept the pub is a place where people go to smoke and have beer?? Why is it my god given right to demand that cahnges now - if I don't feel like being smoked on I don't go??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here