Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking in public in Scotland is going to be illegal

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As a reformed smoker who smoked 20 -30 half corona cigars a day, I virtually chain smoked from getting up to going to bed, I have joined the holier than thou because I have given up, and they are the worst but I feel that smoking should most definitely be banned in any public cafe, restaurant or pub that sells food.

I gave up when the doctor told me I had mouth cancer and if I didnt stop smoking not to book a holiday for next year as you will lose your deposit. That was in 1995 and I am still here to plague LI.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BensGrandad said:
As a reformed smoker who smoked 20 -30 half corona cigars a day, I virtually chain smoked from getting up to going to bed, I have joined the holier than thou because I have given up, and they are the worst but I feel that smoking should most definitely be banned in any public cafe, restaurant or pub that sells food.

I gave up when the doctor told me I had mouth cancer and if I didnt stop smoking not to book a holiday for next year as you will lose your deposit. That was in 1995 and I am still here to plague LI.
There's a million reasons why people shouldn't smoke, I'm not even going to GO there, we all know the risks. And as far as banning smoking around food is concerned - I agree. Personally, I don't like to eat where there is smoke. If I feel a pub is too smokey then I'll choose to eat elsewhere, although you do generally find that when there's food involved, you normally get non-smoking sections anyway.

Its just the whole idea of banning smoking in pubs and bars that I find offensive. Once again its the Nanny State stepping in and telling us what we can and cannot do. We are taxed on what we earn, what we spend, what we buy, what we save, what we drink and what we smoke, and now these fuckers are telling people you're not allowed to go out and smoke in a pub.

Why don't they just f*** off and leave us alone.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:
Its not a non-argument at all. If you don't want to work in a smokey atmosphere, then here's the plan. DON'T GET A JOB IN A BAR.
Thereby completely ignoring my point that not everyone is lucky enough to have the choice of whether or not they work in a bar. It might be the only job they can get but that doesn't mean they should be put at greater risk of cancer.

Easy 10 said:

But the next time you are in a bar, take a look around you. See how many non-smokers appear to be in discomfort, or unhappy at the smoke around them. Try to gauge how much other people smoking in the bar is RUINING the non-smokers evening. I think, if you're honest, you'd see that far from tolerating it, they barely even notice it. But you'd still be willing to BAN these people completely for smoking ?

But thats not necessarily because they don't mind it but more because they have no choice and have been subjected to it for years with no alternative. If you don't want to be in a smoky pub which pub can you go to? As it stands at the moment if you don't like smoky atmospheres then you can't go to the pub because they're all smoky. Where's a non-smokers choice? where's a smokers tolerance for what a non-smoker wants?

Easy 10 said:

Bollocks. Live and let live. This holier-than-thou attitude towards smokers sucks, and it will be the DEATH of pubs in this country if an outright ban ever comes in.

I don't think that would be the case. Has that happened in Ireland, New York, California? Is being able to smoke in a pub that central to the atmosphere? Not for me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Rangdo said:
Thereby completely ignoring my point that not everyone is lucky enough to have the choice of whether or not they work in a bar. It might be the only job they can get but that doesn't mean they should be put at greater risk of cancer.
Sorry, but everyone has a choice as to where they work. If someone has a particular aversion to smoke, then nobody forces them to work in a bar. Its a bit glib to basically say "thats all the work some people can get". If all you can get is bar work, then I'd say you're not looking very hard.

But thats not necessarily because they don't mind it but more because they have no choice and have been subjected to it for years with no alternative. If you don't want to be in a smoky pub which pub can you go to? As it stands at the moment if you don't like smoky atmospheres then you can't go to the pub because they're all smoky. Where's a non-smokers choice? where's a smokers tolerance for what a non-smoker wants?
Non-smoking sections of pubs for starters. They do actually exist. You say that people are subjected to it with no alternative, I say that the vast majority of non-smokers in a pub really couldn't give a toss. Personally, as long as its not being puffed in my face, I don't even notice it. Yes, you DO sometimes get excessively smokey pubs, but thats often down to poor ventilation...and if it IS too smokey, well, I can always go somewhere else. Its easy.

I don't think that would be the case. Has that happened in Ireland, New York, California? Is being able to smoke in a pub that central to the atmosphere? Not for me.
Not for me either, but you will inevitably be driving people away from their local pubs. Sure the Yates's and Wetherspoons will be fine, which is great. If you like that kind of thing. Just don't be surprised if the local pub round the corner ends up with chipboard in the windows because people no longer want to go there because of the rules.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:
Sorry, but everyone has a choice as to where they work. If someone has a particular aversion to smoke, then nobody forces them to work in a bar. Its a bit glib to basically say "thats all the work some people can get". If all you can get is bar work, then I'd say you're not looking very hard.
I don't think so. Some people work in areas that are in high unemployment and low on job opportunities, may not have the skills to do anything else, may need part time work and it's all there is. There are a multitude of reasons why it may be the only job someone can do. It's very arrogant to say that if someone can only get bar work then it's basically their own fault.

Easy 10 said:

Non-smoking sections of pubs for starters. They do actually exist. You say that people are subjected to it with no alternative, I say that the vast majority of non-smokers in a pub really couldn't give a toss. Personally, as long as its not being puffed in my face, I don't even notice it. Yes, you DO sometimes get excessively smokey pubs, but thats often down to poor ventilation...and if it IS too smokey, well, I can always go somewhere else. Its easy.

I think this is the best solution and where we'll eventually end up after a total ban but there are hardly any places that have them. Apart from Yates and Wetherspoons (of which I hate both) I can't think of a single place that has a non-smoking section and they only have them because of the food.
I've got mates that smoke but if I go out with mates that don't or with my girlfriend then we would much rather sit in a smoke free pub. It's more enforced tolerance through lack of alternatives and although they have to put up with it at the moment I would say that most non-smokers, given the choice, would have smoke free pubs.

Easy 10 said:

Not for me either, but you will inevitably be driving people away from their local pubs. Sure the Yates's and Wetherspoons will be fine, which is great. If you like that kind of thing. Just don't be surprised if the local pub round the corner ends up with chipboard in the windows because people no longer want to go there because of the rules.

That would be a bonus. It's a shit hole and if it closed down the police would be able to use their time more productively on Friday and Saturday nights.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I've heard all these arguments before. I'm with Rangdo on this one. We've had a complete smoking ban for a few years now. To begin with all the bars and pubs said their trade would disappear. Guess what, it didn't happen...

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Easy 10 said:
Its just the whole idea of banning smoking in pubs and bars that I find offensive. Once again its the Nanny State stepping in and telling us what we can and cannot do. We are taxed on what we earn, what we spend, what we buy, what we save, what we drink and what we smoke, and now these fuckers are telling people you're not allowed to go out and smoke in a pub.

I sort of agree really - although I detest smoking, and would love to see it banned everywhere, I would understand if it were to be allowed in pubs, but banned outright in restaurants and cafes - non-smoking areas just don't work. No-one should need to smoke around food, it ruins a good meal, but if I go to a pub, I expect there to be people smoking there. It's not ideal, but I wouldn't object to a compromise.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'm an ex-smoker and I applaud the ban. :clap2:

The sooner we get it down here the better! There are two reasons why I support the ban;

1) As any smoker that has tried to give up will tell you, the time when you are most vulnerable is when you are down the pub. You are surrounded by people smoking and the smell of it. After a few beers your ability to resist is severely diminished.

2) I can say with some confidence that if there had been no smoking in pubs then I would have been far less likely to have taken it up in the first place.

If there is to be a compromise then I'd support separate smoking rooms in pubs. Not just a smoking section but a screened off area. Next time you're on a train have a nip down to the smoking carriage. It will be practically empty. What happens is passengers nip down for a smoke and then return to their other seat. Why is that? Possibly because the carriage stinks?

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would agree that it will help to kill off the local pubs. At one of my pubs I did a head count on the smoking and non smoking customers prior to a refurb with the idea of making one of the bars non-smoking. about 75% of the regulars in one bar and 83% in the other were smokers so it would have been commercial suicide to have implemented it. It has got to be banned everywhere in public areas or not at all except in food led establishments and this lead must be taken by an authority i.e council or governmemnt or totally ignored.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
36% of smokers want to quit. That's more than one in three.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here