Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smith - played twice, let in 10?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
And noone is saying Smith played well. He didn't. He let in three goals

Smith did well today and he did the other week at Orient IMO.

First time I have seen Smith and I was quite pleased. He couldn't have done much about the three goals, made some decent saves and catches and I felt his distribution was decent.

I couldn't blame him for the 3 goals in the first half. That was down to dreadful defending!

He pulled off some good saves in the second half.

obviously, i will be reserving judgement until i see him play. but ill probably reckon he is better than kuipers anyway!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
For a start, half of those goals were conceded because Kuipers got himself sent off. Then there was the nine man debacle against Stockport.

Not sure that really answers my point to be honest. Smith and Kuipers are playing behind the same 'defenders' (in the loosest definition of the word). The fact that we went down to nine and ten men respectively in those games has some bearing, but only last season Walsall won 1-0 with nine men and those of us with long memories will recall a 2-0 win at Hull with nine men.

Ultimately, football is reducible to facts and figures. Smith has let in 12 or 13 goals in 2.5 football matches. Unless I am missing something, that is not the form of a goalkeeper in for the long haul.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Smith has let in 12 or 13 goals in 2.5 football matches. Unless I am missing something, that is not the form of a goalkeeper in for the long haul.

Just out of interest, have you seen any of those games? If so, can you tell me how many of those goals you ACTUALLY think he is at fault for? I can think of a couple at most.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
What about the clearance that went about 50 yards up and landed nearer the penalty spot than the half-way line?

The one about 20 seconds after someone kicked him in the knee?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
But Kuipers plays behind the same back four. Twelve goals let in in 2.5 games tells you all you need to know.

Does it? Maybe you ought to actually spell it out for us, coz I'm f***ed if I get what you're insinuating??

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not a big fan of Smith already - looks like a serious LOON - but he had zero in the way of protection from our deeply shitty defence today.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What about the clearance that went about 50 yards up and landed nearer the penalty spot than the half-way line?

That was unfortunate, but the rest of his performance (distribution wise) was very promising. A lot of his place kicks were directed towards our larger players and they weren't having to rush about to get on the end of them.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
The fact he has played very little and no-one knows how many he has actually let in is a tad worrying :lolol: I'd still have him in goal against Wycombe though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Even keepers of calibre such as Steele and Moseley would have been screwed by our abysmal defence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here