Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smart cards Transferable

solex16

Aug 2, 2011
Hi NSC
My mate got 2 season tickets, 1 for his wife who plans not to go too much..
So he said i could use it when she doesn't go..

They are both away for the Donnie game so said i could use both, but the smart cards turned up last Thursday and they reckoned they are non-transferable..so I can't use them?.. is that right?..

Problem is they've already gone away now and not let me have the smart cards..
I've been waiting 14 years for this game and am absolutely gutted..

Please someone tell me what's going on and give me some hope?..

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Strictly speaking they're non-transferable. In reality, it I can't see it would be a problem at the turnstile, especially as they're automated. If you had the smartcards.... don't know how you can get around that particular problem.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I think you're stuffed! Sounds like your mate doesn't want you to have his season tickets.
Unless you can convince him to let you have the cards there's nothing you can do about it.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Hi NSC

They are both away for the Donnie game so said i could use both, but the smart cards turned up last Thursday and they reckoned they are non-transferable..so I can't use them?.. is that right?..

Go to the ticket office before the game, say you've forgot your smartcards, and give your mates name and address and get them to give you a paper replacement for £3.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely NO issue whatsoever in you borrowing a season ticket smartcard from a mate to go to a game, you're not expected to produce a passport or driving licence at the turnstile to prove you are the named person on the card. As long as you're in the same age bracket (ie not trying to enter as an adult on a childs card) then there is no issue.

Not a bad shout from 8ace. Get the FAN number from your mate for his card, make out you're him and have not received the smartcard and get a paper ticket issued on the day. Sure, there'll be some kind of admin fee involved of a few quid for the replacement, but christ it'll be worth it. Just means your mate will have to have a new card issued, paid for by you.

Absolutely NO issue whatsoever in you borrowing a season ticket smartcard from a mate to go to a game.......................

This isn't the case though is it; aren't both parties breaching the ground regulations? With Withdean custom and practice then probably NOT an issue in practice, but then BODS probably never expected the club to backtrack on charging for disabled parking either.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
This isn't the case though is it; aren't both parties breaching the ground regulations? With Withdean custom and practice then probably NOT an issue in practice, but then BODS probably never expected the club to backtrack on charging for disabled parking either.

Most season tickets always have been non-transferable, that's the official line. The unofficial line is that people will swap them around, there's not much that can be done about, no biggy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Put it this way.
One of my mates who is a STH can't make the Gills game on Tuesday. One of my other NON-STH mates is borrowing his season ticket smartcard on the night, after the STH has paid for the game and "activated" it (and is getting the cash value payment of £17 from the non-STH borrower of the card).

The result is another ticket sold and a bum-on-seat that wouldn't have been sold otherwise. The club would have to be TOOLS to act against this, and it'll be happening again and again amongst our (20+) group of STH's in the WSU this season.

Last edited:

Put it this way.
One of my mates who is a STH can't make the Gills game on Tuesday. One of my other NON-STH mates is borrowing his season ticket smartcard on the night, after the STH has paid for the game and "activated" it (and is getting the cash value payment of £17 from the non-STH borrower of the card).

The result is another ticket sold and a bum-on-seat that wouldn't have been sold otherwise. The club would have to be TOOLS to act against this, and it'll be happening again and again amongst our (20+) group of STH's in the WSU this season.

1) Was just pointing out that there is an issue to consider - that is all.
2) With your scenario I do see how the club benefits from an additional ticket sale for non-Championship games.
3) If the misleading of BODS and the entire Disabled access and parking fiasco is not an example of the club planning and behaving like TOOLS then I don't know what is - hence the analogy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1) Was just pointing out that there is an issue to consider - that is all.
2) With your scenario I do see how the club benefits from an additional ticket sale for non-Championship games.
3) If the misleading of BODS and the entire Disabled access and parking fiasco is not an example of the club planning and behaving like TOOLS then I don't know what is - hence the analogy.

Sorry, but I just didn't really link the issue of disabled access / parking with that of the swapping around of season ticket smartcards for certain games, which is what this thread was about.

But for what its worth, I agree that 46 spaces for blue card holders is like some kind of sick joke.

They sell you away tickets without ID, besides I don't carry any of the ID places usually require.

Aren't you proposing here that OP should go to the club shop, attempt to get a duplicate ticket issued on another account on the basis of knowing the A/C Holder's name and address and without their consent? So there's not a potential criminal act here?

Are these scenarios really analogus? I seem to have always needed a fan number to buy an away ticket, certainly was the case last season.

Sorry, but I just didn't really link the issue of disabled access / parking with that of the swapping around of season ticket smartcards for certain games, which is what this thread was about.

But for what its worth, I agree that 46 spaces for blue card holders is like some kind of sick joke.

Sorry from me too; was trying to quickly think of something in the Club's approach that has changed markedly since Withdean for comparison and the disabled access issue came to mind.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Aren't you proposing here that OP should go to the club shop, attempt to get a duplicate ticket issued on another account on the basis of knowing the A/C Holder's name and address and without their consent? So there's not a potential criminal act here?

Are these scenarios really analogus? I seem to have always needed a fan number to buy an away ticket, certainly was the case last season.

They already said he could have the tickets though. In any case, I'd imagine he'd text them or ring them, tell them his plan and ask would they mind. If they so no then they're not really great friends to him.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I hope they are transferable as when I got my helpers season ticket to go with my disabled season ticket I told them I would have about 4 different helpers dependant on who could make the game with me, I was told that allthough the ticket had to go in one name it would'nt be an issue until they start using smart cards with photo ID on them. I hope this is'nt something else the club have decided to go back on they're word with.

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
Anybody can use your smartcard, I will not be going to every game especially evening games due me being in Leeds but my brother and friends are using my smartcard when I'm not there, it's annoying because only people I 100% trust and people that can get the card back to my brother in Worthing will be able to use it, I would have preferred an option where by I could have opted for paper tickets or being able to de activate the smartcard and pay a supplement for paper tickets for certain games, could have been a further revenue stream for the club!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi NSC

It was made clear at the presentations, that while they were not strictly 'transferrable' the club would not be enforcing this rule if supporters wanted to lend their smart cards to family and friends. I would text your friend to see if he leaves a spare key with a neighbour or relative, and see if they can get in to get the tickets for you. Short of that, a brick through one of the windows, whose replacement cost will easily be worth 2 tickets for saturday!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Anybody can use your smartcard, I will not be going to every game especially evening games due me being in Leeds but my brother and friends are using my smartcard when I'm not there, it's annoying because only people I 100% trust and people that can get the card back to my brother in Worthing will be able to use it, I would have preferred an option where by I could have opted for paper tickets or being able to de activate the smartcard and pay a supplement for paper tickets for certain games, could have been a further revenue stream for the club!

To those people you don't trust that much, charge them £10 on top of the match ticket (price for smart card replacement). If they don't return it, just let the club know you have mislaid it and they will issue another. The chances are though that having laid out the extra tenner they will return it, pronto!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here