Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Small plane crashes into building in New York

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Juan Albion said:
The plane was registered to former Blue Jays and current New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle. His passport was found in the street.

This is very sad indeed. RIP Cory.

Why is that sadder than if it was person who wasn't famous in the US for playing baseball?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Voroshilov said:
Why is that sadder than if it was person who wasn't famous in the US for playing baseball?

It's the way the human mind works.

Familiarity makes you grieve more.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
jonny.rainbow said:
It's the way the human mind works.

Familiarity makes you grieve more.

Really I'd never worked that out myself:dunce:

So why are certain people prone to this melodramtic mourning of celebrities -Diana syndrome, and why exactly should we be especially sad for someone who is unknown in the Uk outside a small circle of baseball fans.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Voroshilov said:

It is sad to me because he used to play for my team and I have watched him many times. Simple as that. Same as if we heard the same fate had befallen BobbyZam or Adam Virgo. Why is that so hard to understand?

pigsinspace

Aug 31, 2005
4 years old, f@ck me my writing and computer skills are good.

Add 40 years to the 4 and you might be correct...

Oh I still cant stop crying, what a sad loss for rounders..

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Juan Albion said:
It is sad to me because he used to play for my team and I have watched him many times. Simple as that. Same as if we heard the same fate had befallen BobbyZam or Adam Virgo. Why is that so hard to understand?

It's easy to understand - I'm sorry but i'm not intimately aware of your US sport allegiences, it really is of no relevance to the majority on this board, i would guess

Juan Albion

pigsinspace said:
4 years old, f@ck me my writing and computer skills are good.

Add 40 years to the 4 and you might be correct...

I said 'appears to be.' since you come over as a four year old. Why am I not surprised that you completely missed that?

what a sad loss for rounders..

Oh, wow, that is SO original. Not heard that one before.

Grow up.

Juan Albion

Voroshilov said:
It's easy to understand - I'm sorry but i'm not intimately aware of your US sport allegiences, it really is of no relevance to the majority on this board, i would guess

Not US, Canada, which is where I live. The Toronto Blue Jays are my local team and I watch most of their games. I'm really not bothered about the rest of the board in this instance - I speak for myself, not for everyone else.

pigsinspace

Aug 31, 2005
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=a5jIqjl71yPk&refer=home

he was that much of a great player that the home game was only postponed because of rain.. SO DON'T BANG ON ABOUT IT BEING A GREAT LOSS TO ROUNDERS.... WHERE@S THE RESPECT THEN???????

Oct. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Cory Lidle's death cast a pall gloomier than any rain at Shea Stadium, where friends and former teammates of the pitcher welcomed the postponement of the opening game of the playoff series between the New York Mets and St. Louis Cardinals.

Lidle, of the New York Yankees, died about five hours before last night's scheduled start of Game 1 of baseball's National League Championship Series when his small plane crashed into a 50-story apartment building on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

Players from both teams took a break from their usual game preparations as news of the accident and Lidle's death unfolded on clubhouse televisions. Major League Baseball issued a statement about Lidle's death, and about 20 minutes later postponed the opening game because of heavy rain.

``You've got 30 guys sitting here all watching it, so obviously they're not focusing on the game as much,'' Cardinals pitcher Mark Mulder, a former teammate of Lidle's, said in an interview. ``It's probably a good thing the game was pushed back.''

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Juan Albion said:
Not US, Canada, which is where I live. The Toronto Blue Jays are my local team and I watch most of their games. I'm really not bothered about the rest of the board in this instance - I speak for myself, not for everyone else.

Actually I think you'll find that a few of us do know who he was, I heard about his death watching the Tigers beat the 'A's early this morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here