Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smacking your child - Right or Wrong?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I happen to agree with smacking as part of the parents' discipline arsenal, but that's by the by.

My main beef is this - How the hell does Blair expect to enforce this law? I see no point in creating a law that is not readily enforceable, i.e. no mobile phone usage in cars - I still see plenty of people chatting and texting.

I f***ing hate this nanny state.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
One problem I can see ocuring is dealing with the parents of children that refuse to go to school. I Parent will be in the dock being ask, "Mrs X. time and time again you failed to get your child to school. Why is that?"

"Well Mr Costalotta, I'm no longer allowed to touch my own child anymore for the fear of prosecution. Apart from saying 'Jonny will you please go to school today' there is little else I can do."

???

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I see a lot of people accept the hitting of smaller, weaker, defenceless children far easier than hitting an adult woman.

Both are equally wrong

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can safely say I have NEVER smacked any of my children, ever. All punishments have been non-physical. However I don't want to see it banned as it will do nothing to stop child abuse - all that will happen is some easy target like Yorkie will be hauled up before the Courts for stopping their children from hurting themselves whilst inadequte step-parents (or even natural birth parents) will carry on beating their children as before. After all it's illegal to beat up your wife but certain men still do it don't they?

I think 'reasonable chastisement' is a good description of what should be allowed, what's important is how we interpret the term. No one would now say that birching a child is 'reasonable chastisement' whereas in the 19th century it was ok.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Pavionaire - it is likely to be impossible to enforce - what constitutes a smack ? he danger is it diverts attention from the kids that really need protection. But it does get people discussing what is and what is not necessary or acceptable.

As posted on here by someone earlier - smacking is invariably done to make the parent feel better, but that is only until the guilt sets in.

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
Mmmm - intersting one.

I was smacked as a child, and indeed slippered. It never did me any harm and it worked as a deterrant.

I cannot answer if i would or would not smack my child, but i dont see anything wrong with it (obviously full on beatings are out of order)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
This is part of the pansyfecation of the modern world by people who dont have a clue. Theres a big moral vacuum opening up and there will be a reckoning comming.:angry:

Agree with chappers, if they are gay sell them to vivisectionists.:lolol:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
I was smacked as a kid , hit with a slipper, whacked round the legs with a hoover pipe!

I lived in fear of my mum but respected her, I very rarely got into trouble as I knew the outcome if my mum found out.

I had a mate who was a single parent kid, his mum was so weak ,never hit him ,he was the biggest little shit you could ever meet.

I think ive turned out a well rounded person (those who know me may beg to differ!)

resonable force is acceptable, and is the ONLY language some kids understand!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
It's wrong, how can it possibly be anything but wrong.
I'm a dad who's the primary carer and knackered half the time, but it's still wrong.
Why the hell would you want to HIT a small kid.
It's beyond me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think it is for the government to decide whether smacking should be banned. I was only rarely smacked and I intend on not ever smacking my children, simply because I believe it is not the best way to discipline a child.

However, that is my opinion, and I am not going to pass judgement on, say, knackered, potless, single parents with 4 fighting and arguing boys and who don't have the time or money to try other means of discipline.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Simster said:
I don't think it is for the government to decide whether smacking should be banned. I was only rarely smacked and I intend on not ever smacking my children, simply because I believe it is not the best way to discipline a child.

However, that is my opinion, and I am not going to pass judgement on, say, knackered, potless, single parents with 4 fighting and arguing boys and who don't have the time or money to try other means of discipline.

I agree with your comments on the nanny state but i'm not comfortable with what is implied in your second para. It seems to suggest that smacking children is the logical choice for poor single parents. Myself and one brother and sister were brought up by my mother who earned piss poor Nurses wages. Her choice of very occasionally smacking the backs of our legs was a decision based on her own experiences and ultimately it was effective as we were well behaved children and have grown into law abiding adults.

Your choice (not Mr Blair's) of how you discipline your children is a very personal choice that should not be dictated by personal circumstance.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Banning guns was the start of it. Do they think they can change everyone into musli munching hippies?

The less governments do the better they are IMO.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Funny thing how kids now know their rights. I was in the car with both the kids (aged about 8) and there was some horrible spiteful fracas going on and momentarily I lost my rag and swiped my hand behind my seat into the footwell and made contact.

There was immediate silence. Followed by a rather pleased and knowing:

"you smacked me. I'm going to tell."

Bloomin kids.

Mind you - was that swipe really worse than shouting at them and issuing threats ?

Going on from a comment made by another person - my old man - who didn't smack me at all, bit my brother. He had developed a biting habit, and it was to show him how much it hurt other kids. It aint straight forward.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
magoo said:
:( Please be joking.

There is NO excuse for smacking children. It merely proves the parent isn't even intelligent enough to talk to a child let alone be a parent.

Those that have smacked a child will know the hurt they themselves feel immediately after a smack when looking into the childs eyes.

Violence only teaches violence.

Spot on Magoo.

I know I'm going to be a bit controversial here but my motto for the day is

'Theres no such thing as a bad child only a bad parent'

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Parents are the important factor, but only one factor in bringing up childred. Children are brought up by their community, the other children they meet, the adults, schools, churches, what they see on the streets and on the television. So don't put everything on the parents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here