Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slag Mark McGhee off but......

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
cant believe how badly he has done with Bristol.
Not a good man manager but a good organiser of a football team and has a respected place in our club history

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Thanks in a large part to him (not to mention Leon Knight and Adam Virgo to name but two) we had the one of the best days that I've ever had supporting this football club, so he has my thanks for that, and it seems like he's a top class human being as well from the story posted above.

I hope the club get him along to the Amex for a half time interview soon.

This :whisky:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
cant believe how badly he has done with Bristol.
Not a good man manager but a good organiser of a football team and has a respected place in our club history

Was he that bad a man manager?

Obviously he had a problem with Leon Knight but who hasn't?

I know there were plenty of players that liked him as their manager.

I always liked him and was gutted when he left but things move on.

Also had the best song for a manager - Drinking pints of Whisky.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was he that bad a man manager?

Obviously he had a problem with Leon Knight but who hasn't?

Bit of airbrushing of history, to suggest that Knight was the only player he fell out with.

What about Kuipers? McCammon? for example..

But. Even allowing for all that nonsense, I'm with [MENTION=3883]Stumpy[/MENTION]Tim on this - keeping us in this division on the budget he had was a HUGE achievement. Fair play to the bloke.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm quite surprised how much stick McGhee has got from some. True, he lost he way badly at the end but he took us up - not least by snuffing out a good Brizzle City side in that Play Off final and kept us in the Championship against all the odds.

Apart from that, I agree he was and still is a thoroughly good bloke. I hope we see him guesting at the Amex soon.

I'm quite surprised how much stick McGhee has got from some. True, he lost he way badly at the end but he took us up - not least by snuffing out a good Brizzle City side in that Play Off final and kept us in the Championship against all the odds.

Apart from that, I agree he was and still is a thoroughly good bloke. I hope we see him guesting at the Amex soon.

And one who wanted to stick it out with us,a few others used us as a spring board??? nearly all the others in fact:blush:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He still has a house in Brighton and has been to the Amex several times just to watch our games.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Bit of airbrushing of history, to suggest that Knight was the only player he fell out with.

What about Kuipers? McCammon? for example..

But. Even allowing for all that nonsense, I'm with [MENTION=3883]Stumpy[/MENTION]Tim on this - keeping us in this division on the budget he had was a HUGE achievement. Fair play to the bloke.

Balance that with the centre back the fans wanted to sell on Ebay. Good man management set him on the path to being a fans favourite. From recent photos he looks like he could do with some McGhee nutrition advice again.

Yoda

English & European
keeping us up that season was absolutely incredible.......we were so out of our depth it was unreal

lost the plot a bit the next season with falling out with several players and some of his decisions that season were fairly poor (starting with turienzo and mccammon away to luton, writing games off etc.)...but let's be honest his budget was ridiculously small for a championship club, and he had to sell his best players with no money to really replace them

Sum's his time here perfectly. Could never get my head around his writing games off before a ball was kicked the second season. The previous year we picked up a few good points in those kind of games that kept us up.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I can't.

On 21st December 2004 a Junior Seagull was knocked off his bike and killed. I had the privilege of being asked to look after his funeral. On the 24th December Mark McGhee phoned me at my office to get the contact details of the child's parents. He arrived at their house that night at 6.30pm having travelled from Reading and said to them "I'm not here as the manager of the Albion, I'm here as parent" and sat with them for nearly two hours.

Say what you want of him as a football manager but as a real bloke he's top notch.

I remember Ian, when a club employee lost her mother in appalingly tragic circumstances, He and a huge number of club officials and players attended the funeral. I chatted with him at the time and he was absolutely brilliant.

I have nothing but praise for MM, he was a really great guy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here