Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

slade has fallen into the same trap as adams

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
El-Abd is not a midfielder...............fact, not even opinions, look how many games we have won with him in midfield this season ?...............one that was against Swindon away, where i could have played there and we would still have won as they were awful that day. Virgo is not a midfielder either, nor a forward, he is a center back full stop. If El-Abd plays anywhere I still think the only position he can play is right back as a back up to Whing. Again his record at center back is pretty bad aswell.
El-Abd has no pace and therefore cannot play at right back. But he can play well in midfield as a defensive holding player as Wilkins proved. But if you employ him as such you CANNOT then play Virgo in the same midfield 4 or 5.
IMO Virgo is a versatile squad player who should be used to plug defensive gaps or when we are in desperate need to get a goal you can throw him up front. I agree, he is not a midfielder. The other thing to consider is that some managers are better at getting certain players to perform...Cox played well for McGhee & Wilkins but terribly under Adams. Wilkins got the best out of El Abd which was helped by having Hammond play in that midfield. One of the reasons El Abd hasn't played well in midfield is because he's has no support from a Hammond type player. God we have missed him.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
And how does having El-Abd and Virgo in midfield help with this plan when neither are midfielders?

Unsurprising to see people now defending him putting these two in midfield compared to slating Adams for doing it. All I've heard since Slade has been here is, 'we've now got a manager who knows what he's doing' none of this nonsense of putting players in strange poisitions, he'll put them in their rightfull position' blah blah.

stop defending adams

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
stop defending adams

I'm not defending Adams, I actually don't agree with putting Virgo and El-Abd in midfield (I don't think El-Abd should be playing full stop, but that's another matter). I'm just saying what I find laughable is, everybody was slating Adams for doing this, now Slade has done it they're now justifying it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not defending Adams, I actually don't agree with putting Virgo and El-Abd in midfield (I don't think El-Abd should be playing full stop, but that's another matter). I'm just saying what I find laughable is, everybody was slating Adams for doing this, now Slade has done it they're now justifying it.
Yes but Adams was making the same mistake 8 months after getting the job. Slade is getting the benefit of the doubt because he's only been in charge for about 5 games.

If, after 8 months, he is still playing Virgo out of position and we are heading into non league football, I suspect Slade will be treated the same way. Your self-righteousness about our fans on this board is completely misplaced on this occasion.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The Virgo thing was a joke on Saturday, he was TERRIBLE in centre midfield, hardly touched the ball, he looked tired, he hasnt played for a month, and was not taken off. El Abd was the better of the two, actually winning some tackles, yet he was the one subbed.
To top it off Virgo was made captain

El Abd and Virgo in midfield = JOKE, El Abd and Virgo CAPTAIN when Forster not playing = Bigger JOKE

We looked like a team going down on Saturday, we deserved sweet FA and got exactly that

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I think Slade has realised that we cant play defensively and that likewise every team we play has sussed this as well and so come with a plan to push us back aggressively from the start to unsettle us a nick a goal. The only time we look any good is on the front foot..We must get Murray back asap, pack the defence...for FUCKS SAKE Virgo CB!..and go hell for leather at the opposition.

Even if we concede more goals and lose games at least we will go down all guns blazing.

Best for of defence and all that.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
We want players to have desire to play for the Albion. Now if Jarrett was cast aside becuase of his lack of desire or attitude, then sorry he doesn't play.

We seem to be hoping against hope that a midfield system will work, yet maybe none of our players are upto the job. Adams really should have done something about this pre-season.

The blame lies soley with Adams over this relegation. Slade has inheritated a poor side

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
With Heath and Elphick suspended on Saturday I would hope that Virgo will return to Central Defence (with possibly El-Abd alongside him).

Is Birchall injured? He is not available on Saturday as on International duty. I thought he looked a good player, I dont understand how Virgo and El-Abd are considered in midfield before him at the moment.

Jarrett was an unused sub on Saturday, once again I dont understand why Fraser was used and Jarrett and McLeod not.

I have no idea which of our players, our loan signings, the players on contracts until the end of the season are any good any more. I have sunk into a depression after Saturdays long haul to Scunny. I even got sh*t on by a pigeon sitting outside the Honest Lawyer. It did not prove to be lucky!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm absolutely gutted that Slade has now resorted to playing El Abd and Virgo in midfield, two of our players with limited ability on the ball, I really thought Slade was going to play players in their rightful position. Jarrett overall has been poor but i,d rather see him in midfield than these two. This needs sorting out otherwise we are definitely going down. Virgo at centre back or don't play him at all.
Our last hope is throwing Murray and Forster together now and see what we can muster.

100% correct... anyone can see El-Abd is a mediocre CB and awful midfielder... Virgo is a mediocre CB and a stand-in striker... that is all...

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford

hmm fair enough, but then Slade hasnt been here long. Agree about El Abd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here