Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skys £65 call-out charge

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe it was the SPACE STATION that bumped into your satellite and knocked it out of alignment, did you think of THAT, eh?

Do you know, that hadn't even occurred to me.

Anyone got a number for NASA ?

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
The cancellations department are also known as 'retentions'. Even if you go through with cancelling your subscription, Sky still phone you up during the 30 days notice period and try and tempt you back but you have to be prepared to go through with it if you don't get a good enough deal. All a bit of a charade really.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe it was the SPACE STATION that bumped into your satellite and knocked it out of alignment, did you think of THAT, eh?

You can always trust a woman to state the bloody obvious ! :facepalm:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Do you know, that hadn't even occurred to me.

Anyone got a number for NASA ?

Ask NASA
Public Communications Office
NASA Headquarters
Suite 5K39
Washington, DC 20546-0001
(202) 358-0001 (Office)
(202) 358-4338 (Fax)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I've phoned to cancel twice in the past as the boxes have packed up and both times they came and replaced the HD box for free. I can't see the point in paying nearly £100 a year for the insurance cover as they don't want to lose customers and eventually seem to give you a new box or upgrade your package at no extra cost.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've phoned to cancel twice in the past as the boxes have packed up and both times they came and replaced the HD box for free. I can't see the point in paying nearly £100 a year for the insurance cover as they don't want to lose customers and eventually seem to give you a new box or upgrade your package at no extra cost.

Even dafter is the fact they try to flog you insurance in the first 12 months, when the thing is under standard warranty anyway.

Anyone paying the insurance on them is a bit of a mug really.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ask NASA
Public Communications Office
NASA Headquarters
Suite 5K39
Washington, DC 20546-0001
(202) 358-0001 (Office)
(202) 358-4338 (Fax)

"Houston, we have a problem....our Sky has packed up, and Emmerdale is due to commence in t-minus eight minutes 14 seconds and counting. Request urgent assistance. Over."

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Now this is where i struggle. My situation is that i have and only need a normal SKY+ box. My LCD TV is only HD ready with a DVI (not HDMI connection) and is not 1080. In addition i don't want to fork out for the HD subscription.

I have had the SKY+ plus box replaced 3 times over the past 14 months and each time they have given me a refurbished SKY+ box. Fortunately, i have never paid the call out charge because as Easy 10 describes you just have suggest you might cancel and miraculously they speak to a manager.

My problem is that i don't think they actually make new SKY+ boxes. I might add that i did once try to play real hardball for a good deal on the HD box but the threat to cancel backfired as the young Jock did actully put me through to cancellations dept.

Any ideas on a new strategy?

If your TV only takes a DVI connection you can still hook up a Sky+HD box with a HDMI to DVI cable , Sky are now introducing a basic HD box as well but this doesn't have any Sky+ or anytime features and is a replacement for regular digiboxes where the customer doesn't want Sky+ or to pay for the HD mix.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If your TV only takes a DVI connection you can still hook up a Sky+HD box with a HDMI to DVI cable , Sky are now introducing a basic HD box as well but this doesn't have any Sky+ or anytime features and is a replacement for regular digiboxes where the customer doesn't want Sky+ or to pay for the HD mix.

Yes I knew about that cable option. You also have to use phono cables to tv for the sound. I guess what I really want is an HD BOX with of course the SKY+ functionalty but not the extra outlay for the HD mix.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Am I alone in thinking £65 is not unreasonable? It's not just a call-out charge because it does cover repair and replacement parts. This happened to me recently and I ended up with a new dish and the latest Skybox with bigger memory. And if I remember correctly it includes 90 days warranty.

It's unreasonable on the basis that you are tied to THEIR specific equipment to receive the service and they are contracted to supply it to you.

It's like having a washing machine (you don't get to choose) and also paying for the privilege to use it. When the washing machine goes wrong should I pay for repairs when I am also paying a monthly charge.. bearing in mind that I'm paying for NOTHING because machine won't turn on ? Should I b*llocks.

The contract should include the supply of programmes and the supply of equipment to receive it.

Sky can also well afford to send out an engineer for nothing, their charges and profits are huge.

Last edited:

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
I got this sort of treatment from Sky years ago and told them to stuff the whole thing. I can live without the overpaid prima donnas in the Premiership and I use P2P for all Albion matches when they are on.

Just a question for the Luddites on here: what is P2P? and where and how do you get it?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I don't see the point to switching to virgin - on our package sky is cheaper and we get more channels?? They alwaya waive the fee if you moan and getting spare boxes is easy enough....so if the difference is in the customer service they I'm sticking with sky...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had sky + and multi room and have now cancelled sky will the sky + digibox work in the spare bedroom or will it just be the standard digibox with terestial channels and free sky channels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here