Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sky sports: Villa interested in Biss

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You've misunderstood me. I meant playing AGAINST Barca or Birmingham, i.e. in the Champions League or in the Championship for Newcastle.

I agree 100% with you on Birmingham as a city. I used to have clients based in Colmore Circus and was up there one or two days a week most weeks and Edgbaston cricket was a semi-regular lads trip Lots of good pubs, Balti triangle (and the Indian Brewery) and the market at Christmas. Really enjoyed it.

Made sure I took Junior GB to Villa this season, nice easy trip from London.

I was only joking in my post anyway :) - People really friendly though. I enjoy it here. City Centre living with no commute to go anywhere

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fresh reports that Newcastle may offer £50M. Would certainly test our resolve.

I'm surprised his agent hasn't been able to get any of the Top 6 involved ?
£50 million is a very tricky fee to turn down and if it could be partly spent on improved deals for Trossard, Mac Allister, Maupay and Sarmiento who are out of contract at the same time as Bissouma it would be very tempting to cash in.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Imho
The only team in the world who’d pay 50 million for him as it stands is Newcastle. So any truth in this, and any suggestions he fancies it, we should make this happen.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
If it’s Newcastle and I was Bloom/Barber I’d ask for £75m or go away, we would have literally nothing to lose.
I’d rather Biss stayed here for 18 months and went for free than signed for those *****.
He ‘only’ cost £15m and we’ve easily had our money’s worth. Keeping him for another 18 months if we can plus then sorting out adding more goals could see us in Europe.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Split opinions on this and all told we'll never know his current position, discussions with agents and whether he has actually turned down contract extensions to date.

Considering the short length remaining I would be amazed if we got 50m+, take that and run. This is the ideal scenario in my opinion especially if he refuses to commit his future even in the short-term to us.

If we can't get anything approaching a decent fee and negotiations over an extension are being shut down by his agent then forget it.
Block a move on the grounds of valuation not met and let him play out his contract here on his original wages. It would be an absolute steal for us paying him a pittance for another year.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Anyone else a bit more relaxed about losing Bissouma after the last few games? He is a world class player without a doubt, but we've coped really well without him. If we get a £50m bid in the next week I'd be surprised if it wasn't successful.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Hmm ... Norwich seem to have hit a bit of form so they could rally too. But even if Newcastle did survive, there's no guarantee they'd be a top 10 club. Look at the money that Everton have spaffed in the last few years and they're only just above the relegation zone.

Of course, there is no guarantee even Man U will be a top 10 team next season.

The point I was making was I don’t believe Newcastle can be written off yet and if they survive this year, rebuild in the summer and buy big (which let’s face it is inevitable), then they COULD a make the top 10 next season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If it’s Newcastle and I was Bloom/Barber I’d ask for £75m or go away, we would have literally nothing to lose.
I’d rather Biss stayed here for 18 months and went for free than signed for those *****.
He ‘only’ cost £15m and we’ve easily had our money’s worth. Keeping him for another 18 months if we can plus then sorting out adding more goals could see us in Europe.

But its £50M to a club that lost £69M in it's last set of accounts.
Next summer Trossard, Maupay, Bissouma could all walk for free - so just to maintain our squad level if those 3 went could cost £100M.

How deep are Tonys pockets if we decide not to sell Bissouma this window I guess?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
They were discussing running down contracts in the chelsea spurs match the other day. It is really interesting thinking about different motivations. Basically the player is gambling on not getting injured. If they don’t get injured then it is a great decision. Why let a club take 50 million for you when in 18 months you could get a massive chunk of that yourself? I guess it is all about how much risk a player is prepared to take. Let’s face it, bissouma has earned enough that he probably never needs to work again anyway so it is less of a risk than a league one player (who would not be able to demand a massive signing fee anyway).

They were discussing Rudiger and saying that Chelsea should be treating it like they are signing a player from a different club ie how much would we be willing to pay him? One of the pundits said that the mindset is never like that because you already have them, but in reality in six months you don’t have them anymore than anyone else. With more players appearing to run down contracts I suspect we might see some hefty signing fees.

It is really difficult for clubs because they have an asset that they can sell and to replace it costs loads. We can’t just offer higher wages either because this affects the balance of all negotiations.

I have decided that the best position is to trust the club to do the best thing and get it right. Turned out okay so far but losing Bissouma, Trossard, Alexis and Maupay would be a blow!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
They were discussing running down contracts in the chelsea spurs match the other day. It is really interesting thinking about different motivations. Basically the player is gambling on not getting injured. If they don’t get injured then it is a great decision. Why let a club take 50 million for you when in 18 months you could get a massive chunk of that yourself? I guess it is all about how much risk a player is prepared to take. Let’s face it, bissouma has earned enough that he probably never needs to work again anyway so it is less of a risk than a league one player (who would not be able to demand a massive signing fee anyway).

They were discussing Rudiger and saying that Chelsea should be treating it like they are signing a player from a different club ie how much would we be willing to pay him? One of the pundits said that the mindset is never like that because you already have them, but in reality in six months you don’t have them anymore than anyone else. With more players appearing to run down contracts I suspect we might see some hefty signing fees.

It is really difficult for clubs because they have an asset that they can sell and to replace it costs loads. We can’t just offer higher wages either because this affects the balance of all negotiations.

I have decided that the best position is to trust the club to do the best thing and get it right. Turned out okay so far but losing Bissouma, Trossard, Alexis and Maupay would be a blow!

It would, but look at some of the players we have coming through.

My guess is that at least 2 of those teams will run down their contracts. We have to view this as a hazard of the business model we have. Accepting a cut price deal for one of them, for example £25m for Bissouma could turn out to be counter productive. On the one hand you could say £25m for him is better than the nothing will get in 18 months time. On the other you could say it sets the precedent, that other teams will be alerted to the the fact we'll take something rather than nothing. best to do what we're doing and play brinkmanship and risk not getting a fee. A "this is the value of the player take it or leave it" approach will in the long run make us more money than a pragmatic decision to sell for something.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Of course, there is no guarantee even Man U will be a top 10 team next season.

The point I was making was I don’t believe Newcastle can be written off yet and if they survive this year, rebuild in the summer and buy big (which let’s face it is inevitable), then they COULD a make the top 10 next season.

I have a feeling Newcastle will stay up , they will end up paying way over the odds for players like linquard , & possibly Alli who will go their for the money and they will stay up just . £50m for Bissouma if he won’t sign a new contract is a no brainer . That extra money will massively help strengthen the squad with new deal extensions etc
Hopefully we don't let him live in Lancing or Portslade

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Bissouma going to Newcastle makes plenty of sense to me. He will get paid a shed load and become a legend at Newcastle before the absolute superstars arrive. He could play another 6-7 years and be a cult here. They would absolute love him.

I don’t want him to go but it makes sense.

Villa just doesnt my make sense to me.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Anyone else a bit more relaxed about losing Bissouma after the last few games? He is a world class player without a doubt, but we've coped really well without him. If we get a £50m bid in the next week I'd be surprised if it wasn't successful.

No, I'm not. We've won only one of the eight league games he has missed this season: 1.125 points per game without him, 1.5 points per game with him. At that rate, the difference over the season is 43 points without Biss and 57 with him. He missed both of the Palace games. Gallagher would not have dominated like he did at Selhurst if Biss had been playing. I'm expecting him to go, if not now, then in the summer, but I'm nowhere near relaxed about it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, I'm not. We've won only one of the eight league games he has missed this season: 1.125 points per game without him, 1.5 points per game with him. At that rate, the difference over the season is 43 points without Biss and 57 with him. He missed both of the Palace games. Gallagher would not have dominated like he did at Selhurst if Biss had been playing. I'm expecting him to go, if not now, then in the summer, but I'm nowhere near relaxed about it.

Agree, though very interested in seeing how Caciedo develops.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Everyone is assuming that this £50m or whatever will immediately be spent on the first team, recent history suggests it won’t be. This weakens us, he’s our best player.
Newcastle for the next 18 months will be a direct rival with us for top 10, so sod strengthening them.
I get Biss is likely to go but please not them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The likelihood of Newcastle being in the equation for Bissouma has decreased substantially as they've had an offer accepted for Lyon holding midfielder Bruno Guimaraes.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The likelihood of Newcastle being in the equation for Bissouma has decreased substantially as they've had an offer accepted for Lyon holding midfielder Bruno Guimaraes.

Yup, looks like they’re out of the running given their apparent focus to CB.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Everyone is assuming that this £50m or whatever will immediately be spent on the first team, recent history suggests it won’t be. This weakens us, he’s our best player.
Newcastle for the next 18 months will be a direct rival with us for top 10, so sod strengthening them.
I get Biss is likely to go but please not them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it? We made 50m on Ben White in the summer and bought Mwepu and Cucurella for 40m, presumably backed by that sale, and those 2 have definitely strengthened our team!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shouldn’t Gerrard be flying to Africa to tie this deal up? :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here