Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sky sports: Villa interested in Biss

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Even in the colossally mad world of elite football, what governance model would see any organisation spend a huge capital outlay on an asset and then pay that asset millions in salary, when that asset is under investigation by the police? Genuinely interested to know what these Sky insiders know that no one else knows.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Even in the colossally mad world of elite football, what governance model would see any organisation spend a huge capital outlay on an asset and then pay that asset millions in salary, when that asset is under investigation by the police? Genuinely interested to know what these Sky insiders know that no one else knows.

It depends if you think that you can make an early move before maybe more risk averse suitors would make a move? Particularly if they are bigger / more attractive clubs. But if it was me the length of time on investigation without a charge the most recent news means it is probably a risk worth taking

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

A well known club were quite happy to sign a player who had an unusual post-coital payment of $300,000 to a woman.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

There will be plenty of people that know a lot more about the status of the investigation and likely outcome than any of us do which may or may not have reached someone at Sky.........and the removal of bail (interestingly not for the other person alleged to have been involved) is at least an indication. As others have said, possibly a risk worth taking :shrug:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I would hope Biss would have more ambition than Villa!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Villa have more than one player on their list for each position. They’ve been in contact with Borussia Mongengladbach for Denis Zakaria. His contract expires in 6 months.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
villa would no doubt pay same wages as a top 4 club, but I suspect an ambitious player would want both top 4 wages AND to play in Champions League

Man City would have won Champions League final with a decent holding midfield player

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Jury still out for me on Gerrard

Even Neil Lennon won the SPL

I’m sure he will go on to be a good manager but seems to be getting a lot of praise when he hasn’t achieved much yet outside the SPL

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I’ve been sleeping on this one. If they are genuinely interested at 50million I’d bite their hands off. He will go somewhere, either now or the summer or for free next year. He’s too good not to.
£50mill is a HUGE amount for someone with such little contract left. And as much as he will be missed, and I do think he will go on to be one of the very best players in the World, £50mill is £50mill.
And let’s be honest, we don’t play too badly without him.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Several reasons why Villa might appeal to him!

1). Double his wages;
2). Playing alongside the likes of Coutinho (Villa have cash to splash, and other big names likely incoming);
3). Impressive young manager going places (Rangers project completed [tick]; Villa project (trophy of some kind , entry into Europe) - give it two or three years [tick] - followed by move to Liverpool, taking Biss with him.
4). If 3 doesn't happen, Villa could be a bigger stepping stone than Brighton.

Tempting for Biss? What colour are your glasses tinted?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That would go down well with the chairman!

Why? They’re not slaves and are perfectly entitled to continue serving the terms of their contract.

A player making the decision not to transfer to a particular club probably happens more often than we know about as clubs tend to bend the rules and tap up a player before formally making a bid anyway.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'd sell him this window for 35m, else keep until his contract expiration.

The residual value that he offers in the final 18 months of his contract is worth more (imo), than letting him go for anything less, especially if his fingers have been wondering.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Several reasons why Villa might appeal to him!

1). Double his wages;
2). Playing alongside the likes of Coutinho (Villa have cash to splash, and other big names likely incoming);
3). Impressive young manager going places (Rangers project completed [tick]; Villa project (trophy of some kind , entry into Europe) - give it two or three years [tick] - followed by move to Liverpool, taking Biss with him.
4). If 3 doesn't happen, Villa could be a bigger stepping stone than Brighton.

Tempting for Biss? What colour are your glasses tinted?

Gerrard has not proved himself anymore capable than most other PL managers. Rangers or Celtic winning the league in Scotland means feck all when compared to the PL. I am not swallowing Gerrard is special and on his way to Liverpool in a few years. Yes he has contacts from his time at Liverpool and was a fine player. He is certainly nowhere near as good as he is being touted imo, turning Villa around is no big deal and that has already stalled, they were underachieving under Smith given the money spent.

I will be genuinely shocked if Biss ends up there.

Now let’s see what happens tonight :smile:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dont under estimate Villa. Decent manager starting to put together a decent squad. They could well be challengers if they sign the likes of Biss and more of the same

I don’t under estimate SG, but they’d need to spend vast sums to challenge at the top and spend it wisely. To build a squad containing at least 16 or 17 brilliant footballers.

Villa already make eye watering accounting losses, with an average squad. They do not have the global pull of the EPL giants with their vast commercial income.

To start spending and some at a level to match them, Villa would break EPL sustainability rules and UEFA FFP regulations, the latter causes a ban from European competitions.

Incredibly hard to bridge that gap these days.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Has anything really changed from last summer when it was often mentioned clubs were interested in Biss?

Its common knowledge that Tony will not stand in the way of any transfer IF the money is right (£50 million Ben White for example)

Im not convinced by this Villa thing Sky are pushing, they have a months transfer news slots to fill, so there is a good chance its just something to fill air time with. Even if there is substance to it- we have solid evidence that Tony will get absolute top dollar and Im sure succession planning is in place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here