Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SKY sign exclusive Football League deal from 2012/13, BBC lose out

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is a reasonable guess , Sky wont want to lose viewers to another channel showing a free highlights package which is shown at the same time as their highlights programme.

Er, isn't MoTD broadcast about 18 hours earlier than Sky's 'Goals on Sunday'?

From what has been announced today, there is NO reason to suggest (yet) that this will affect the FLS or the BBC internet site.

Also, the deal announced today starts in 2012/13, not next season as some are suggesting.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Of the ten league games + two league cup semis, I have watched no more than 2 or 3 games, but I did watch the FL show after MoTD maybe once every three weeks. However, I consider it a significant loss because I'd rather have the option to watch these programmes than have them taken off air completely.

Quite simply if you are going to miss it that much you're going to have to put your hand in your pocket and shell out for Sky.

It's a blow if true that clubs will be losing £1m in revenue a year but it's the way of the world at the moment unfortunately and hardly surprising given the state of the BBC at the moment....just ask the breakfast team!!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Er, isn't MoTD broadcast about 18 hours earlier than Sky's 'Goals on Sunday'?

Yes, but about 3 hours after Football first, at 8.25 which is the best match, as well as Match Choice at 10pm. Which I assume is the direct comparison with MOTD.

Sky don't show the Premier League goals on Sky Sports News though until after MOTD though.....

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Not sure how successful that Football First is for Sky?

I would guess that only the fans of the teams who are shown on it are interested. i.e. I don't think you get many neutrals who want to watch extended highlights of other Premiership games at 8.25 on a Saturday evening. Even then the plastic fans probably won't want to sit through an hour's highlights of their own team. Rather a 10-15 minute section on MOTD.

Just not come across anyone who actually watches it

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Part of the deal is live Football League matches on SKY on a Thursday night, so as the vast majority of matches come from the Championship I wonder how many of our games will be moved ?

Where did you get that from? Not seen anything saying that on Sky or Football league website (although it was only a skim read)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure how successful that Football First is for Sky?

I would guess that only the fans of the teams who are shown on it are interested. i.e. I don't think you get many neutrals who want to watch extended highlights of other Premiership games at 8.25 on a Saturday evening. Even then the plastic fans probably won't want to sit through an hour's highlights of their own team. Rather a 10-15 minute section on MOTD.

Just not come across anyone who actually watches it

Must be doing alright, its been going long enough.

Something I've oftened pondered (well not every day often, but a few times in the past kind of thing). If / when the Albion reach the Premier League, and we're playing away and I've not gone, I wonder if I'd have the self-discipline to avoid our result COMPLETELY, and watch the game "as live" on Football First that evening without knowing the score.

I reckon I'd do that all the time for any game of ours I'd not gone to.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Must be doing alright, its been going long enough.

Something I've oftened pondered (well not every day often, but a few times in the past kind of thing). If / when the Albion reach the Premier League, and we're playing away and I've not gone, I wonder if I'd have the self-discipline to avoid our result COMPLETELY, and watch the game "as live" on Football First that evening without knowing the score.

I reckon I'd do that all the time for any game of ours I'd not gone to.

True, thought it had only been around for the last 2 seasons, but checking Wiki says it begun for the 04/05 season :eek:

Don't think I could ever avoid knowing our score to watch it later on telly

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Part of the deal is live Football League matches on SKY on a Thursday night, so as the vast majority of matches come from the Championship I wonder how many of our games will be moved ?

IF that is true, that would be UTTERLY SHITHOUSE, for those of us living away from Brighton, especially those with kids.

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
I hope the BBC can keep the FLS, I know it's not brilliant in places but it is nice to see all the goals from the football league.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The loss is the £70M that's been pulled out I think. Given the way it's divied up I reckon more than 50% will be to championship clubs so likely loss to Albion of well over £1M and that's income that had no cost attached to it unlike say 2500 season tickets (staff, stadium upkeep etc)

Will also have an impact on player wages and contracts .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here