Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Season Preview: Brighton

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton may have been handed a Coca-Cola windfall but they face a difficult season.

Despite Mark McGhee's best efforts, Albion have a small squad, seem to be suffering from a shortage of defenders and are embroiled in a long-running controversy over having to play at the unimpressive Withdean Stadium.

McGhee's protestations about the venue are fully justified as The Seagulls strive to move to the 22,000-seater Falmer Stadium but the whole issue must not be allowed to affect the team's performance on the pitch.

After the stroke of luck in landing £250,000 in Coca-Cola's Win a Player competition, Albion look to have invested wisely in Bury's promising Colin Kazim-Richards.

The sale of Dan Harding to Leeds and Adam Virgo to Celtic has also enabled McGhee to splash a six-figure sum on relatively unknown Argentinian Federico Turienzo.

With the Brighton manager hoping Leon Knight can rediscover his best form, Turienzo will be looking to add a touch of South American class to the frontline.

It is likely that more new arrivals will find their way to the South Coast club, Aston Villa keeper Wayne Henderson is on the brink of sealing a loan switch, but many are predicting relegation for The Seagulls.

PREDICTED POSITION: 23rd
STAR MAN: Federico Turienzo
ONE TO WATCH: Colin Kazim-Richards
SKYBET ODDS: 150/1
INS: Colin Kazim-Richards (Bury), Jason Dodd (Southampton), Federico Turienzo (Gimnasia La Plata)
OUTS: Adam Virgo (Celtic), Dan Harding (Leeds), Nathan Jones (Yeovil).

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Turkey said:
Brighton may have been handed a Coca-Cola windfall but they face a difficult season.

Despite Mark McGhee's best efforts, Albion have a small squad, seem to be suffering from a shortage of defenders and are embroiled in a long-running controversy over having to play at the unimpressive Withdean Stadium.

McGhee's protestations about the venue are fully justified as The Seagulls strive to move to the 22,000-seater Falmer Stadium but the whole issue must not be allowed to affect the team's performance on the pitch.

After the stroke of luck in landing £250,000 in Coca-Cola's Win a Player competition, Albion look to have invested wisely in Bury's promising Colin Kazim-Richards.

The sale of Dan Harding to Leeds and Adam Virgo to Celtic has also enabled McGhee to splash a six-figure sum on relatively unknown Argentinian Federico Turienzo.

With the Brighton manager hoping Leon Knight can rediscover his best form, Turienzo will be looking to add a touch of South American class to the frontline.

It is likely that more new arrivals will find their way to the South Coast club, Aston Villa keeper Wayne Henderson is on the brink of sealing a loan switch, but many are predicting relegation for The Seagulls.

PREDICTED POSITION: 23rd
STAR MAN: Federico Turienzo
ONE TO WATCH: Colin Kazim-Richards
SKYBET ODDS: 150/1
INS: Colin Kazim-Richards (Bury), Jason Dodd (Southampton), Federico Turienzo (Gimnasia La Plata)
OUTS: Adam Virgo (Celtic), Dan Harding (Leeds), Nathan Jones (Yeovil).
Thats a fair prediction,but why o why do i feel angry looking at the measley 22k capacity:shootself

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I also think that the prediction of finishing 23rd as off the mark. If we got 51 points last time round, I would expect us to get 54-55 this time round, which will probably finish us 18th-19th..

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Didn't many tip us for relegation last season too.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
Well, what do sky know there are worse teams in the division and so we should be able to stay up. Screw you Sky, and go off and concentrate on the premiership, that's what you allways do.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Seagull73 said:
I also think that the prediction of finishing 23rd as off the mark. If we got 51 points last time round, I would expect us to get 54-55 this time round, which will probably finish us 18th-19th..
Its not that simple as we sell our best players and don't replace them in the way we should,but the youthful look bar the defence looks the way forward:lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Even Andy Naylor has us finishing 18th in the Argus :cool:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Well I'm sorry but personally I think this season will be harder than last. The clubs that have come up are stronger than those they replaced. And there is no obvious Rotherham this season meaning there are 3 relegation spots up for grabs.

We are without one of our best players for half the season, not to mention losing arguably our best player and his defensive colleague.

Short on numbers, again, and still lacking creativity in midfield.

We are kidding ourselves if we think we're looking at anything other than a struggle.

Sorry but I'm just being realistic.

And that's not to say that I'm blaming anyone for this. It's just how things are and there's little we can do about it.

Nothing to say we won't escape the drop again however, and I'm concentrating all my energy on hoping this is the case

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
To someone who doesn't know the club and is basing his opinions on who we've sold, who we've brought in and where we finished last season, I can see why he predicted us to finish 23rd.

I reckon we'll come 20th with 55 or so points but as like last season, I think we'll make a slow start in the first few games.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Let's be honest folks, we're all viewing the issue with blue and white striped spectacles on.

If you were a neutral, or a fan of one of the other Championship teams, you'd pick us 9 times out of ten for relegation.

We have the worst ground, the smallest wage budget, we struggled last year (although to us, where we finished was an achievement) and we've sold arguably our two best players.

As somebody said, there's no obvious Rotherham this season, therefore any punter worth their salt will fancy us to go down. I'm not offended, just realistic. If I didn't support the Albion I'd be thinking the same.

No point in getting the arse about it chaps, it just makes it all the more satisfying when we beat these teams, and stay up.

:ascarf:

We are always going to be the rational pick for the drop because the perception is we have the most unfancied squad on the lowest wages.

But I fully expect us to be safe long before May because:
1) we have a brilliant manager.
2) nearly every one of our players, young and old alike, has been through a tough Championship campaign and through that experience are much more battle-hardened and aware of what it takes to win games in this league.
3) we have added to our squad better quality than we were able to last season - it's been a very long time since we spent £200,000+ on players.
4) we will get Blayney and him and Kuipers is a step forward from last season's Kuipers and x many loan keepers.
5) Our midfield is much better as Hammond and Reid have developed superbly and Chippy/Oatway have found their feet in the league, and we could have some nice suprises ahead of us in terms of loan players eg that Rangers guy.
6) Our attacking options are light years better than last year's Plan A, B and C of stick the talented defender up there - one of our hundred grand signings ain't even guaranteed a place.
7) Our defence is a good mix of experience and young legs, with Butters and the hugely classy Dodd shepherding the Man U tyro, El Abd and Hinsh (who might be back earlier than December).
8) The team from October will be playing on the incredible high of a Falmer stadium victory.
9) And did I mention we have the best manager in the league.

The league is tougher but we are a much tougher, much more quality team than last season.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
London Irish said:
We are always going to be the rational pick for the drop because the perception is we have the most unfancied squad on the lowest wages.

2) nearly every one of our players, young and old alike, has been through a tough Championship campaign and through that experience are much more battle-hardened and aware of what it takes to win games in this league.
3) we have added to our squad better quality than we were able to last season - it's been a very long time since we spent £200,000+ on players.
4) we will get Blayney and him and Kuipers is a step forward from last season's Kuipers and x many loan keepers.
5) Our midfield is much better as Hammond and Reid have developed superbly and Chippy/Oatway have found their feet in the league, and we could have some nice suprises ahead of us in terms of loan players eg that Rangers guy.
6) Our attacking options are light years better than last year's Plan A, B and C of stick the talented defender up there - one of our hundred grand signings ain't even guaranteed a place.
7) Our defence is a good mix of experience and young legs, with Butters and the hugely classy Dodd shepherding the Man U tyro, El Abd and Hinsh (who might be back earlier than December).
8) The team from October will be playing on the incredible high of a Falmer stadium victory.

The league is tougher but we are a much tougher, much more quality team than last season.

10) The away crowd at Withdean is now seated in West Sussex.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
The fact that everyone seems to have us relegated already could be to our advantage.

On paper the current team is no worse than this time last year and may even be better in time. We are already stronger in attack, where shortage of goals was a major factor in our struggling, and since today the defence seems just as good as last year. With the yougsters having had a year of Championship experience they are also now better players than a year ago.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I quote
'Using last season as yardstick to the SEagull's prospects is a little misleading.
Threequarters of the way through, relegation was not even an issue. It was only a late collapse which left them on the brink and, remember that was after a poor start of one point from the opening four games.
A pessimist would point out the Championship looks stronger this season'

He agrees but ponts out that Stoke Crewe & Watford have their problems.

Above the article is Sergeant Jones of Dad's Army with the caption Doomed? Don't panic and recruits will never surrender

His Championship?
1 Wolves
2 Norwich
3 Sheff Utd
4 Crystal P*l*ce
5 Leeds
6 Burnley
7 Preston
8 Ipswich
9 Reading
10 Hull
11 QPR
12 Leicester
13 Cardiff
14 Derby
15 Coventry
16 Southampton
17 Plymouth
18 ALBION
19 Stoke
20 Sheff Wed
21 Luton
22 Crewe
23 Watford
24 Millwall

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
London Irish said:

Great summary, LI.....but to be honest if no. 8 doesn't happen, even finishing top will be a hollow victory.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Bluejuice said:
Well I'm sorry but personally I think this season will be harder than last. The clubs that have come up are stronger than those they replaced. And there is no obvious Rotherham this season meaning there are 3 relegation spots up for grabs.

Not perhaps as obvious as Rotherham, but Crewe could easily be the new Rotherham.....how many games did they win after Dean Ashton left early in the New Year? One, I believe. Watford were also pretty lucky not to go down after a significant second half collapse, and they no longer have Danny Webber. Millwall could implode, and teams like Stoke and Luton are logical potential strugglers. I still think we'll find it really tough. However, after just watching the highlights of last season on the DVD, it's interesting to note how many cr@p goals Harding & Cullip gave away last season :)

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I can't believe I'm the first person to mention in any way the fact that that preview states Turienzo as our "star man". I'm very optimistic about his signing but surely thats jumping the gun a touch?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here