Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Plus Box help please

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
Mixed news, mostly bad.
I did the system update but it made no difference.

On the set up menu, it can see its an Amstrad box & gives a number but its saying 'No Card' by the Viewing card number box, even tho the card is in.
I might give sky a call, it might just be a case of marrying the new box to the old card???

Happypig, I'll let you know

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Have you spoken to Sky to pair the card with the box? (again? ?)

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The card is probably still paired with your old box

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Also i know you said you checked your connections but the two cables are separate and the inner cable is long enough and outer cable plenty making s good connection too as in picture

Fconnector.jpg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
But you don't need any card to view free to air.

I was replying to the post from martyn20 who implied that Sky would send a replacement card for nothing even though Earlybird isn't a customer. The FSFS card in addition to the free to air channels allows you to watch LFC TV , Motors TV , Sony Entertainment Television , Sony Entertainment Television +1 , Sony Movie Channel , Sony Movie Channel +1 and Viva.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Sky change the viewing cards every three to four years & without one you can only use your box for the terrestrial channels 1 to four, it will not work for the other channels as I found out when I installed my old box in the bedroom. You may be able to get one cheap off ebay but it will be region specific & Sky get these listing taken down pretty quickly.
Best bet is phone sky up & they will sell you a freeview card & provide technical support for it (as in pairing it with your box)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sky change the viewing cards every three to four years & without one you can only use your box for the terrestrial channels 1 to four, it will not work for the other channels as I found out when I installed my old box in the bedroom. You may be able to get one cheap off ebay but it will be region specific & Sky get these listing taken down pretty quickly.
Best bet is phone sky up & they will sell you a freeview card & provide technical support for it (as in pairing it with your box)

If the Sky+ box originally had a new white card in it you cannot then put in an old blue card as it is now set up to only accept a white card.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
ok just set up my old sky plus box with no card and receiving all free to air channels.

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
Just spoke to Sky.
They said as I wasn't a (paying) customer Sky+ features (pause, record etc) wouldn't work anyway.
Looks like I've either got to subscribe to a Sky package or carry on with my old normal, trusty, no frills Sky box... :eek:(

Cheers for the input all the same guys

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I was replying to the post from martyn20 who implied that Sky would send a replacement card for nothing even though Earlybird isn't a customer. The FSFS card in addition to the free to air channels allows you to watch LFC TV , Motors TV , Sony Entertainment Television , Sony Entertainment Television +1 , Sony Movie Channel , Sony Movie Channel +1 and Viva.

Ah ok just that Earlybird said all he wanted was free to air channels.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Just spoke to Sky.
They said as I wasn't a (paying) customer Sky+ features (pause, record etc) wouldn't work anyway.
Looks like I've either got to subscribe to a Sky package or carry on with my old normal, trusty, no frills Sky box... :eek:(

Cheers for the input all the same guys

So you are on Freeview?
:ffsparr:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If the Sky+ box originally had a new white card in it you cannot then put in an old blue card as it is now set up to only accept a white card.

Without any card in the box you'll also get the regional ITV and BBC for the card that was in it before being sold.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Ive just bought a cheapy second hand sky+ box off ebay.
Ive plugged everything in but all I get is a message saying its searching for channels.

I am using my old sky card which gives me so many free to air channels perfectly well on my old sky box.

Is there a different card for Sky+ or do I need to ring Sky to inform them to change the card to the new box?

Anyone else had this problem,? Thanks in advance...

This is not a viewing card issue,it sounds like the box has an old default transponer frequency, to change this you will need to go to the installer setup and change the frequency and do a new installation.

To access the Installers Menu, use the following set of key presses:

SERVICES, 4, 0, 1, SELECT.

Change the default transponder to 11.778 , vertical, 27.5, 2/3 save settings then do a new installation, all this is based on the assumption all is ok with your dish and LNB

Earlybird

Jul 23, 2003
Brighton
Must underline, I don't pay a subscription.
Its been explained to me the the Sky PLUS elements wont work unless I'm a subscriber.
If you are a current Sky + subscriber & you stop the payments, your ability to pause, record, rewind live TV will also cease, even with the Plus Box.
That's the bit I didn't know 24 hours ago.
I thought if I had the PLUS box, I could still record/pause my existing free to air programmes.
Thats why I wasn't getting anywhere

Cheers for taking the time to answer all the same peeps

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is not a viewing card issue,it sounds like the box has an old default transponer frequency, to change this you will need to go to the installer setup and change the frequency and do a new installation.

To access the Installers Menu, use the following set of key presses:

SERVICES, 4, 0, 1, SELECT.

Change the default transponder to 11.778 , vertical, 27.5, 2/3 save settings then do a new installation, all this is based on the assumption all is ok with your dish and LNB

11.778V 27,500 FEC 2/3 has been the default transponder since 1998. Some boxes will have an altered frequency which has been done by a customer or installer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here