Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky or Virgin: which is better?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Some people say you can - others say you don't. Personally watching football in HD is a lot better and finer.

I've said this before but I really think football is when you need HD the least - its so fast and you can get so easily involved. I appreciate it for stuff like cricket, golf, tour de france, but if I got into a football match I'd forget about the picture within seconds.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I've just signed up with Sky for the HD option: really with 30 HD channels it's the only way. And not for the Sports: signed up for the movies, hoping some good HD movies will help me through what could be a long cold winter following the Albion.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I've just signed up with Sky for the HD option: really with 30 HD channels it's the only way. And not for the Sports: signed up for the movies, hoping some good HD movies will help me through what could be a long cold winter following the Albion.

The Dark Knight in HD begins in two weeks :drool::drool: :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are you saying then on CL night as a VM customer I can "press the red button" ect, ect?

As far as I am aware yes. I remember receiving a letter confirming that Virgin would be getting the multi-match system on chions league. I don't know if that came to fruition, or if the deal expired, it's been 3-4 years since I was on virgin media.

Some people say you can - others say you don't. Personally watching football in HD is a lot better and finer.

On my TV you can do a split screen with the HDMI (high def feed) and scart (standard def feed) and there is a clear difference.

I think you can become accustomed to the quality. I never though DVD was that much better than vhs, until I went back. Then I didn't think Blu Ray was that much better than DVD until I went back.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have Virgin Media, and I can safely say it's a brilliant TV service. It might not be as HD as Sky, but then I don't see the big fascination with HD anyway so I'm not bothered by it in the slighest. On VM you get the full BBC iPlayer, and 4oD aswell. You also get some ITV programmes on there aswell, it's very comprehensive and it's good quality service in my opinion. I've got mine in a bundle with the telephones and broadband aswell, which makes the entire deal brilliant, and I have no complaints. The customer service isn't perfect, considering their call centres are in India which I personally despise. But in the last 12 months we've only needed to call them once anyway, so I'm more than happy.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I have Virgin Media, and I can safely say it's a brilliant TV service. It might not be as HD as Sky, but then I don't see the big fascination with HD anyway so I'm not bothered by it in the slighest. On VM you get the full BBC iPlayer, and 4oD aswell. You also get some ITV programmes on there aswell, it's very comprehensive and it's good quality service in my opinion. I've got mine in a bundle with the telephones and broadband aswell, which makes the entire deal brilliant, and I have no complaints. The customer service isn't perfect, considering their call centres are in India which I personally despise. But in the last 12 months we've only needed to call them once anyway, so I'm more than happy.

I'd agree with all of that.
We've just upgraded to V+ with HD and I was told by the numpty in India that the deal wasn't available, so I called again and went through the automated system as a "new customer", thus getting to speak to somebody in this country who confirmed the deal was available, and I was done and dusted in 5 mins. The India thing is poor and I don't know why any business opts for it as its a sure fire way to lose customers.

I have nothing against Sky, but when we bought our house we were advised there was a BT line installed, there wasn't and BT wanted £150 to install a phone line so we went with Virgin who offered a free installation

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
my parents have a V+ box and so do other family members, there remote response is so slow! you can press channel up and nothing, so you press it again, nothing. then 30 seconds later it goes up a few channels. I had similar when i had virgin (not a + box) since i've had sky +, and now Sky HD+ i dont want to go back to virgin, a the hd service on sky is brilliant. i sure hope they drop the charge soon though, as with Virgin getting channels for free (i know its less) i cant see sky customers (myself included) remaining happy for long whilst virgins channel list grows (for free)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I'd agree with all of that.
We've just upgraded to V+ with HD and I was told by the numpty in India that the deal wasn't available, so I called again and went through the automated system as a "new customer", thus getting to speak to somebody in this country who confirmed the deal was available, and I was done and dusted in 5 mins. The India thing is poor and I don't know why any business opts for it as its a sure fire way to lose customers.

I have nothing against Sky, but when we bought our house we were advised there was a BT line installed, there wasn't and BT wanted £150 to install a phone line so we went with Virgin who offered a free installation

Bt is free to install proving you take a contract out with them.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I got VM because the council won't let me have a pikey dish on the front of the house, when I move I'll get sky because the sheer amount of HD channels for the money is better.

Saying that VM is an excellent service the on demand and HD on demand service is excellent and the broadband is second to NONE !!!

And personally I thing the + service on Virgin is better than Skys as well

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I got VM because the council won't let me have a pikey dish on the front of the house, when I move I'll get sky because the sheer amount of HD channels for the money is better.

Saying that VM is an excellent service the on demand and HD on demand service is excellent and the broadband is second to NONE !!!

And personally I thing the + service on Virgin is better than Skys as well

Had the same problem with mid sussex council.Lived in a block of flats that had one dish already on the wall which the owner didn't need permision.I put a dish on the same wall and got a letter from the council saying that i needed plaining permission to put another dish on the same wall even know it wasn't my dish.I took no noticed of them even when they threatened legal action against me if i didn't take the dish down.They never did though.Not saying this is the right approach but i was told you are allowed to put one dish up on a wall free of charge and there's nothing they can do.I suppose different councils have different rules.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
only providing there is an existing line into the building, of which despite the sellers claims - there wasn't. New line, new installation = bill.
Thats how it was 20 months ago when we moved, it may have changed now??

Not true.Promotion still going and has been for some time now.They have run this promotion before as well.

Get a free BT line installed

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I'm intrigued as to why people think Virgin Broadband is better than Sky?

There was a survey recently which ranked providers along the lines of the speed they advertise and the speed you actually get, especially at peak times. Virgin came out top, presumably because it comes to you via cable.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I have sky, but wish i could get virgin where i live- imo it's a load better, mostly for the on demand stuff.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have Virgin and I'm pretty impressed with it. The broadband is fast, we get plenty of channels to watch and the service is pretty good.

We only went with them because BT couldn't offer broadband to us but I think I'd stick with them now even if BT were to get its act together and start introducing broadband to all of Brighton.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
only providing there is an existing line into the building, of which despite the sellers claims - there wasn't. New line, new installation = bill.
Thats how it was 20 months ago when we moved, it may have changed now??

sky fit a line for new customers for free now ( i had this done the other week).

unfortunatly they won't do it (yet) for existing customers, but if you've never been with them its worth a shout. cheapest line rental available aswell! :bounce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here