Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky/Freeview advice

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I stopped sky becauser it was too exepnsive and I didnt consider it to be VFM.

I have a freeview digi recorder box which does exactly the same as Sky+ but I am looking for the cheapest way to get sky sports or sky sports news any advice, short of streaming the laptop to the TV which is a bit of a chore.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

I have a freeview digi recorder box which does exactly the same as Sky+ but I am looking for the cheapest way to get sky sports or sky sports news any advice, short of streaming the laptop to the TV which is a bit of a chore.

You can get Sky Sports 1 and 2 through Freeview if you have Top up TV. Not sure of the price but I think its fairly expensive. I believe you need a CAM on your TV or Freeview Digi Recorder

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
You can get it on Top up TV. Look through your channels.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
You can get Sky Sports 1 and 2 through Freeview if you have Top up TV. Not sure of the price but I think its fairly expensive. I believe you need a CAM on your TV or Freeview Digi Recorder

Indeed

Sky and Top Up TV have agreed a deal that will allow Freeview customers to watch Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2.

The service will cost £22.99 a month for one channel, or £31.99 for both.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is quite expensive and appears to be a stich up by Sky. I would be happy with just sky sports news which if I remember was available on freeview free until fairly recently.

Sep 1, 2010
I heard that Sky Sports news is available through another package but cannot remember which package now(i maybe wrong though). I would happily drop Sky Sports until such times are a little easier on the pocket. Sky Sports news would be enough for me but it aint free anymore which is a shame

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I heard that Sky Sports news is available through another package but cannot remember which package now(i maybe wrong though). I would happily drop Sky Sports until such times are a little easier on the pocket. Sky Sports news would be enough for me but it aint free anymore which is a shame

I think its only on Sky and Virgin now, they took it off Freeview 6 montha ago I think.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
You can still use your sky box to get free to air channels, or just buy a Freesat box. If you buy a freesat HD box with ethernet port, you only need to swap the boxes over as the dish will still be pointing at the ASTRA sat.

You can then get BBC1 HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD, and CHANNEL 4 HD, BBC Iplayer and coming soon ITV Player free of charge + all the other usual channels.

Problem with freeview is that this service requires your existing aerial to work.

If Freeview is not yet available in your area you wont get any channels until it comes online properly. I did have Freeview in peacehaven. I had to buy a new aerial and point in towards the racecourse.

But living 150 metres from the cliff edge the aerial eventually blew out of position, and of course being digital I lost all TV completely.

Last edited:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
If you buy a freesat HD box with ethernet port, you only need to swap the boxes over as the dish will still be pointing at the ASTRA sat.

I'm thinking of going the Freesat route. Can I ask what's the advantage of an ethernet port on a satellite box?

More views, opinions and experiences would be most welcome folks.

Sep 1, 2010
Just phoned sky and have sky sports package free until mid-august. The important thing here is this, you CAN get Sky sports news on the news and events package which costs just a few quid a month compared to the Sky Sports 1 & 2 which costs £20 together. So if you still want SSN but cannot afford SS1 & SS2 i would advise you change your package and get the News & Events Package

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm thinking of going the Freesat route. Can I ask what's the advantage of an ethernet port on a satellite box?

More views, opinions and experiences would be most welcome folks.

Yu can get iplayer and the like. On some boxes, you can also install Telnet and FTP so you can log into the box from another PC and watch recorded programs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Just phoned sky and have sky sports package free until mid-august. The important thing here is this, you CAN get Sky sports news on the news and events package which costs just a few quid a month compared to the Sky Sports 1 & 2 which costs £20 together. So if you still want SSN but cannot afford SS1 & SS2 i would advise you change your package and get the News & Events Package

From September the 6 basic mixes will be merged into 2 packs , Entertainment £20 pm and Entertainment+ £25 pm but at the moment Sky haven't announced which channels are in the basic £20 pm mix. I guess for the extra fiver a month SSN will go into Entertainment+

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've got a Humax box and can do it on mine.

glad you mention it. i have the humax with port, but iirc the box and sales details didnt mention it. is it live or do they need an update or something?
i could of course just try it...

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free

BT is positioning its Vision TV package (I have this service) as the cheaper alternative to Sky. If you have BT Line rental / calls and you upgrade to include, TV and Broadband, you can then add Sky Sports 1 for £7.20 per month. Overall it would be about £35 per month, but about £20 of that would be your line, calls and broadband, so the TV and sports element would be about an extra £15 per month. This might be worth moving to if you already have a similar line, calls and BB package.

You also get access to iPlayer through your Vision box rather than having to connect your PC to the TV, which I find quite helpful.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
glad you mention it. i have the humax with port, but iirc the box and sales details didnt mention it. is it live or do they need an update or something?
i could of course just try it...

There's a package with the updates in them, it's a 5 minute job, just boot with a USB stick in and it's installed. PM me your email if you want it and I'll email it to you. if not, I will try and find the page I got it from

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here