Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Challenge over TV rights

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One down side is that if Sky becomes cheaper for pubs, many more boozers will be ruined by the presence of Big Screen Sports.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Don't forget it was the EU who decided that Sky had a monopoly on showing football games in this country so they were split into bundles. This led to the fiasco with Setanta going bust because they ended up with the shit bundles and ESPN taking over.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why not tell the f***ing world?

Like its a big SECRET there. Its not like we have to sign gagging orders before leaving the premises.

They want the extra punters in for their Sky coverage, they'll have to accept that word gets round, can't have it both ways.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
My brother in law has a pub in the NE and him and others in the area are blatently advertising games outside their boozers because of this appeal. He was told that Sky are not pursuing landlords until they have a clear decision from the EU. Not sure if Sky can appeal against this decision, and if they do it will take another 12 months or so.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will people who have been convicted for showing this be able to appeal and have the fines over turned. Also if a publican can prove that as a result of this he lost trade or even went bust and lost his pub could he sue Sky for damages and losses. I wopuld think proof would be a drop in takings from having had sky for football and then being made to take it off and the takings dropping.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Eventually we may see a situation (common in other countries) where clubs sell their games individually to the broadcasters or more importantly direct to consumers via the web or IPTV.

Potentially a one off cost for a small United IPTV box that plugs into your broadband. You buy a season ticket decoder card from the club and get to watch all their games live.

Cuts SKY out of the equation with the clubs already complaining that they don't see enough of the massive profits that SKY generate.

That's something to think about if you worry about the balance of the Premier League.

To put it into context, Manchester United could generate more income over two or three high profile games than they do for the whole season now.

I'm looking forward to the BHATV streaming service for the European Cup games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure if Sky can appeal against this decision, and if they do it will take another 12 months or so.

According to Radio Sussex after the judges reach a decision they are then advised by an advocate to make sure the decision is lawful and then when the decision is released there is no appeal available to either party.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
One of those things which sounds like good news but isn't necessarily.

Agree that the amount of money at the highest levels and the way it is spent is just a joke these days. However, anything that pushes the clubs towards individual rather than collective selling of their TV rights can only be a bad thing.

The European courts are good on 'competition' in business, but not so good on 'competition' in football matches. Don't forget they already landed us with the Bosman ruling and stopped countries from limiting the number of foreign players per team (hence England are shite).

Expect the big clubs to get even bigger and the smaller clubs to get smaller.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Eventually we may see a situation (common in other countries) where clubs sell their games individually to the broadcasters or more importantly direct to consumers via the web or IPTV.

Potentially a one off cost for a small United IPTV box that plugs into your broadband. You buy a season ticket decoder card from the club and get to watch all their games live.

Cuts SKY out of the equation with the clubs already complaining that they don't see enough of the massive profits that SKY generate.

That's something to think about if you worry about the balance of the Premier League.

To put it into context, Manchester United could generate more income over two or three high profile games than they do for the whole season now.

You know that's a brilliant idea, and I can actually see this as the way forward. Think about the extra money Brighton would make from it instead on relying on the premiership scraps. How much does it actually cost to stick a few cameras around the ground and bring harty and hawsey back? What about advertising for local companies on the Brighton channel, the list goes on and on.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Like its a big SECRET there. Its not like we have to sign gagging orders before leaving the premises.

They want the extra punters in for their Sky coverage, they'll have to accept that word gets round, can't have it both ways.

Never had you down as a nark Easy.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Of course word gets around, i also expect you know who to buy weed off etc in there , but you wouldnt post it on an internet message board would you ? For some f***ing jobsworth from sky to see and take them to court , what do you think the little pint glass logo in the corner of the screen is for ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One of those things which sounds like good news but isn't necessarily.

Agree that the amount of money at the highest levels and the way it is spent is just a joke these days. However, anything that pushes the clubs towards individual rather than collective selling of their TV rights can only be a bad thing.

The European courts are good on 'competition' in business, but not so good on 'competition' in football matches. Don't forget they already landed us with the Bosman ruling and stopped countries from limiting the number of foreign players per team (hence England are shite).

Expect the big clubs to get even bigger and the smaller clubs to get smaller.
I'm not following your logic because I don't think it would necessarily push clubs towards individual TV rights. For that to happen, the bigger clubs would have to table such a motion at a Premiership meeting, which would be voted down. The big clubs would then have to take their case to the European courts and prove it was illegal and uncompetitive, which probably isn't easy to do, and in any case would take years and be very expensive.

Generally speaking, anything that lowers the price for the consumer IS good news. We all know that nearly all this Sky money has gone straight into the pockets of footballers who are now vastly overpaid. Forget wankers like John Terry, how is it even right that a pleasant, competent but ultimately third division footballer like Elliott Bennet is able to earn £6k a week (£312k p.a for Herr Tubthumper)?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course word gets around, i also expect you know who to buy weed off etc in there , but you wouldnt post it on an internet message board would you ? For some f***ing jobsworth from sky to see and take them to court , what do you think the little pint glass logo in the corner of the screen is for ?

Yes, I'm sure Sky Sports jobsworths are pouring all over internet messageboards and forums on the vague offchance of seeing a post that identifies a pub thats got a hooky linkup, after all, there's not many of these forums about on the interweb to check, is there. Thats BOUND to be how they find these pubs. :rolleyes:

Sky already do their routine checks by sending reps round to look for the pint glass logo (they take the banners / ads with them as well). Do you honestly think that as a DIRECT RESULT of a post on NSC, the Sky Sports SWAT team will suddenly descend on the Nevill in the next few days ??

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Generally speaking, anything that lowers the price for the consumer IS good news.

It ain't gonna happen. The grey market will become official so all the pubs showing Premier League football using Albanian , Italian , Greek , Polish (and others) cards in a satellite receiver will end up paying more as the cost will go up.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes, I'm sure Sky Sports jobsworths are pouring all over internet messageboards and forums on the vague offchance of seeing a post that identifies a pub thats got a hooky linkup, after all, there's not many of these forums about on the interweb to check, is there. Thats BOUND to be how they find these pubs. :rolleyes:

Sky already do their routine checks by sending reps round to look for the pint glass logo (they take the banners / ads with them as well). Do you honestly think that as a DIRECT RESULT of a post on NSC, the Sky Sports SWAT team will suddenly descend on the Nevill in the next few days ??

Sky DO monitor various websites and forums for snippets of information :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm not following your logic because I don't think it would necessarily push clubs towards individual TV rights. For that to happen, the bigger clubs would have to table such a motion at a Premiership meeting, which would be voted down. The big clubs would then have to take their case to the European courts and prove it was illegal and uncompetitive, which probably isn't easy to do, and in any case would take years and be very expensive.

Generally speaking, anything that lowers the price for the consumer IS good news. We all know that nearly all this Sky money has gone straight into the pockets of footballers who are now vastly overpaid. Forget wankers like John Terry, how is it even right that a pleasant, competent but ultimately third division footballer like Elliott Bennet is able to earn £6k a week (£312k p.a for Herr Tubthumper)?

Is he really on 6k a week ?.. HERE.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is he really on 6k a week ?.. HERE.
No, but I think that's what Norwich were offering. But then I suppose he would then be Championship player, but that's still silly money for somebody unproven outside the very highest level of the game isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here