Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky can go **** themselves

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
It's easier to book a package holiday to Bagdhad than it is to change to Sky Broadband, so I've decided to stay put, and pay more, but at least it f***ing works.

Wozza was right, you need a lot of luck if you wanna move to Sky BB. :angry:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
You get what you pay for.

If you're a serious net user (eg use it for work; download loads), I wouldn't go anywhere near any of these free offers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And yet they're still plugging it to DEATH on practically every ad break. Whats the point when they can't handle the uptake ? There's a bloke where I work who's trying to switch to Sky for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Twice they've not bothered to turn up to install it, and now he's been told they don't have the routers in stock. He is going absolutely spastic.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Wozza said:
You get what you pay for.

If you're a serious net user (eg use it for work; download loads), I wouldn't go anywhere near any of these free offers.

whys that dude ?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
On the contrast my experience of Sky broadband so far has been excellent.

I received my invite email form sky monday before last, got my mac code and phoned sky on the following tuesday, was on hold for about 10 minutes which wasn't too bad. Ordered and waiting, free router arrived 2 days later and I was connected last friday.

I am now paying £10 a month for an unlimited 4.5 Mbps line (would be more if I wasn't so far from the exchange) where I was previously paying 33.99 for a 2Mbps line with Pipex.

It was a bit unstable at first but I found some tips on a forum and changed a couple of settings and since it has been stable and not gone down once.

I for one would recommend it for no other reaosn than it saves money.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
anybody who does anything "sky" needs to go in with their eyes wide open, othwise you will be disappointed.

they always over-advertise in order to get cash up front, under-order with the cheapest supplier who equipment, because it is the cheapest is the least reliable and undertrain/under employ call centre staff who are about as efficient and knowledgeable as a pensioner in an automatic car

If you are happy to order knowing the above then you will not get wound up

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
tinx said:
On the contrast my experience of Sky broadband so far has been excellent.

I received my invite email form sky monday before last, got my mac code and phoned sky on the following tuesday, was on hold for about 10 minutes which wasn't too bad. Ordered and waiting, free router arrived 2 days later and I was connected last friday.

I am now paying £10 a month for an unlimited 4.5 Mbps line (would be more if I wasn't so far from the exchange) where I was previously paying 33.99 for a 2Mbps line with Pipex.

It was a bit unstable at first but I found some tips on a forum and changed a couple of settings and since it has been stable and not gone down once.

I for one would recommend it for no other reaosn than it saves money.

Some for me, I have to say, only I'm getting nearer 6meg

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
If you don't pay, you'll get terrible customer service - from any of the providers.

Try putting "sky broadband complaints" into Google.

Even if it's working, your usage will probably be capped.

And if it's not capped, your bandwidth will be throttled if you're, say, using peer-to-peer applications.

If you're a light user, this won't matter. If you're serious...

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
I was with BT Broadband for the last year or so - absolutely fine....until I moved house 26 days ago. Since then that have been absolutely CRAP. They still haven't managed to re-connect me, I have now phoned them about 15 times, having usually been put on hold for god knows how long. Then I usually speak to some so-called techie guy who sounds like he's in an Indian call centre, who after about 15 minutes of FANNYING around tells me my order isn't activated. THis has happened about five times. Then some other guy tells me I need a new driver for my modem (I haven't been able to use my Netgear wireless router) which still doesnt;t work as the DSL light is out. Any way after 26 days I toed them to f*ck off yesterday and registered with......Sky broadband and was promptly told by e-mail that I would have to wait 'a few weeks' for connection:down:

I'm not exactly a major net user - probably about half to one hour a day (at home - the rest is at work!!!) and I only use it really for e-mails and NSC of course!! any thoughts???

yours bugged of Burgess Hill

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Wozza said:
If you don't pay, you'll get terrible customer service - from any of the providers.

Try putting "sky broadband complaints" into Google.

Even if it's working, your usage will probably be capped.

And if it's not capped, your bandwidth will be throttled if you're, say, using peer-to-peer applications.

If you're a light user, this won't matter. If you're serious...

Sky has no peer to peer throttling I've tested it. I can Max out my conneciton using usenet downloads, the Max offering (£10 a month) is uncapped.

For every complaint on the net ther ewill be another 10 happy customers, the only ones who you hear about are the complainers and if you search for any ISP you'll find some unhappy customers Sky ar eno different to the majority of others except they are cheaper.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
But thats the same as most providers currently, The pipex service I left had throttled p2p down to a max of 20kbps.

Not that worried as I stopped using p2p years ago.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lush said:
Anyone got any experience of Orange free broadband?

It took a mate at work three and a half months to convert to Orange.
Sky tell me that it's only people who are changing from AOL that are getting problems. AOL are apparently giving the same MAC code to lots of people just to be awkward.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
tinx said:
But thats the same as most providers currently, The pipex service I left had throttled p2p down to a max of 20kbps.

Pipex are also cancelling users contracts for (what they consider) to be excessive usage even on 'uncapped' contracts!

Hardcore users are leaving in droves, but that's what Pipex want now they're going for the consumer market.

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
And pipex customer support is the worst I have ever experienced in any field or walk of life. truly appalling.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have you yet to sample the prolongued delights of the NTL call centre then tinx ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
NTL Broadband is good.. I have the 2mb Broadband, which is ideal for me and the family. In fact when we have two machines running off the router it doesnt seems to slow down.

How do you check what speed you are downloading at to make sure you are getting the full 2mb capacity?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here