Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skint sponsorship deal...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Brighton Bears will wear Albion's blue and white stripes for the first time against Scottish Rocks in the British League at the Triangle, Burgess Hill, tomorrow night (7pm).

The Bears have signed a one-year shirt sponsorship deal with Skint Records for an "undisclosed amount".

Owner and coach Nick Nurse is delighted to be associated with Fatboy Slim's record label, which already backs Mark McGhee's men, and hopes the arrangement can be extended for a further two years.

Nurse said: "We sat down with Albion and the kit manufacturers, Errea, in the spring and talks went well.

"In fact, Albion have been nothing but helpful from day one and I couldn't be more pleased.

"We will be proud to wear the blue and white stripes with the Skint logo on the front.

"I hope Skint take up the option to make it a three-year deal."

Nurse hopes the sponsorship deal will help forge closer links between the clubs and boost the sporting profile of Brighton and Hove.

He said: "We want to stand side by side with the Seagulls to show the city can provide plenty of top-class sport, rather than fighting each other for the support.

"We are happy to be associated with the city's biggest sporting club and it will be nice for their supporters to be able to identify with the Bears through the shirts.

"Sports fans can be entertained by football and basketball.

"The Albion players and manager Mark McGhee attend Bears matches and enjoy them.

"Mark tells me he even gets ideas for tactics from watching us play. Hopefully more Albion fans will start to come along.

"It's cool, hip and up-and-coming for Bears to be associated with Skint."

Nurse, who has coached in Europe, believes similar arrangements work well on the continent.

He said: "I've been in charge of teams who have come up against Real Madrid and Barcelona. Those two clubs have strong, positive links between football and basketball."

Nurse's long-term dream is for Bears to share a community stadium with the Seagulls at Falmer. He said: "I hope Albion might find room to tag on a 3,000 arena for us as part of their plans."

Skint Records marketing manager Andrew Mckirdy said: "We are extremely pleased to tie up this deal with another Brighton sporting success stories.

"While it is not on the scale of our deal with Albion, it is another way of increasing our ties with the local community and enables the Bears and Seagulls to forge ever-closer links.

"We look forward to immersing ourselves in the exciting world of basketball and are talking to coach Nurse about music we can help with at games.

"We are the first company to sponsor both their local pro football and basketball teams."

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have long thought that the local sports teams that compete in national competitions should pool their resources and work for closer marketing / supporter links. If baffles me (although there may well be reasons) why Sussex CCC and the Albion don't get together and do contra-deals in a bid to support each other.

For instance, Sussex could offer, say, a 20% discount on annual membership to all Albion season ticket holders. Or better still, the Albion Club Shop could sell Sussex cricket kit during the summer, so that at least the cricket club has a presence in the city. Or the Albion could offer favourable discounts in the Albion Club Shop to Sussex members. Small ideas maybe, but if they banged their heads together, I am sure that they could help each other out.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Agreed TLO, maybe in the current climate the Sussex CCC board might wait until the stadium issue is resolved then do something. Hopefully like getting Sussex to wear the stripes as their one day kit, probably not allowed as I think the kits have to have a main colour (?) but still, nice idea!

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
skint1.jpg

New Kit available now from Seagull Shop

Bears fans looking for last minute Christmas presents can purchase the new striped vest and the navy blue home vest from the Seagulls Shop in Queens Road, Brighton.

The shirts are available in adult and child sizes and can be personalised with your choice of name and number. They will also be on sale at Friday’s game at The Triangle and online via the Bears website (not for Christmas orders). Prices start from £32.99 for child sizes and £37.99 for adult sizes.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
That's proper blue that is :clap:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Crap, they've moved the game to the Friday so it clashes with the Stoke game. I'm supposed to be working for the Bears that game so won't be able to go see Albion v Stoke :(

Nice shirts though

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
those shirts kick ass :clap: shame I'm a skinny fucker and my arms are about as fat as worm so it'd look stupid on me....still, nice!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
:clap2:
I'm gonna buy one... at least it will make me get in shape :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here