Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sitting Back and Trying To Defend A Lead - A Tactic We Keep Using and are RUBBISH at

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think we have now discovered we are not capable of doing it. It has taken 2 games, and 4 equalisers but will we finally go away from using this tactic.

We play so well going forward, and score goals, yet when we "think" we are comfortable, we just drop back, sit on the edge of our box, and let the opposition attack us.

Even with Adams tactics of shoe horning in centre backs where he can, we still cant defend a lead, even with 6/7 defenders on the pitch.

We actually look good going forward, so why worry about the opposition, and just play them out the game?

The last 2 home games, we have played teams that arent going to challenge for the league, and we have gone from taking them apart easily, to letting them dominate us. The tactic obviously doesnt work and I hope we will now stop using it - it makes us look non league!!

Anyinsah looked good upfront, Virgo won 80% of the high balls sent up to him, so it was a good combination. Thorton again ran the show with us going forward, so why not use these great attributes, not forgetting Forster and Murray.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
MA said he is looking to bring in more loan signings but they must be for 90 days not 28 and with Forster out for 4 - 6 weeks it looks like Virgo may be used up front again. I would prefer that he was played at centre back instead of Hawkins and Ayinsah up front.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Completely agree, so frustrating to see us get everyone back for a corner then just hand them the ball back on the halfway line. As soon as Anyinsah went wide right we looked weaker.

I can't see why you'd take him off!.. unless he was injured which is what I'm hoping.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Completely agree, so frustrating to see us get everyone back for a corner then just hand them the ball back on the halfway line.

That was my biggest frustration with the last 2 games. Against Cheltenham we kept doing it and the pressure just built on us and led to their last equaliser. The only time we left someone upfront, it was Matt Richards that went up, I mean a defender up front whilst we defend a corner? Who makes up this shit.

Today we just hoofed it forward, and we had all our players in our box, and the ball came back, and gave them easy chances to create a goal as we put no pressure on them what-so-ever!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Great in the first half, total shite in the second.

Mid table stuff.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I think we have now discovered we are not capable of doing it. It has taken 2 games, and 4 equalisers but will we finally go away from using this tactic.

We play so well going forward, and score goals, yet when we "think" we are comfortable, we just drop back, sit on the edge of our box, and let the opposition attack us.

Even with Adams tactics of shoe horning in centre backs where he can, we still cant defend a lead, even with 6/7 defenders on the pitch.

We actually look good going forward, so why worry about the opposition, and just play them out the game?

The last 2 home games, we have played teams that arent going to challenge for the league, and we have gone from taking them apart easily, to letting them dominate us. The tactic obviously doesnt work and I hope we will now stop using it - it makes us look non league!!

Anyinsah looked good upfront, Virgo won 80% of the high balls sent up to him, so it was a good combination. Thorton again ran the show with us going forward, so why not use these great attributes, not forgetting Forster and Murray.

I agree. At one point we were playing 4-5-1 at home, come on MA we're the home side not the away team.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
While we're on the subject of slating tactics...

TWO defensive midfielders?
A left winger playing right wing?
A right winger playing left wing?
A winger playing up front?
A defender playing up front?

It's just like watching McGhee....

We struggle to dominate even the worst sides at home.
There are three fairly capable loan signings out there, yet the likes of Walsall Cheltenham and orient can run us!

I noticed that whenever the attack swings back to defence, everyone gets back asap but don't actually pick up their men - leaving the midfield completely empty while they planned and built an attack from exactly there.

It's all very well Rob Savage waving our players forward, but all he wants is one forward runner who can run into a hole and collect a pass going towards their goal.

Now, we do attack teams at Withdean - but the most comfortable and capable we have ever looked in my opinion, is when we played Man City. Why? It's because we expected to have to defend, and made forward forays with more enterprise....and space to run into.

The solution I reckon, is to actually work on keeping the ball around in the midfield more, and not compacting the front line of play by 'surging' forward, because that tide just 'surges' right back at us just as surely. We thereby offer our opposition as many attacks and chances as we get - and it's generally ending in drawn results, albeit with goals going in.

Consolidate a steadier midfield, and give Elphick less area to roam - because he's proving confused and vulnerable when things are coming at him with pace or conviction.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I blame the stewards

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We struggle to dominate even the worst sides at home.
There are three fairly capable loan signings out there, yet the likes of Walsall Cheltenham and orient can run us!

I noticed that whenever the attack swings back to defence, everyone gets back asap but don't actually pick up their men - leaving the midfield completely empty while they planned and built an attack from exactly there.

It's all very well Rob Savage waving our players forward, but all he wants is one forward runner who can run into a hole and collect a pass going towards their goal.

Now, we do attack teams at Withdean - but the most comfortable and capable we have ever looked in my opinion, is when we played Man City. Why? It's because we expected to have to defend, and made forward forays with more enterprise....and space to run into.

The solution I reckon, is to actually work on keeping the ball around in the midfield more, and not compacting the front line of play by 'surging' forward, because that tide just 'surges' right back at us just as surely. We thereby offer our opposition as many attacks and chances as we get - and it's generally ending in drawn results, albeit with goals going in.

Consolidate a steadier midfield, and give Elphick less area to roam - because he's proving confused and vulnerable when things are coming at him with pace or conviction.

without wanting to go all Uncle Buck/Steward 433 on the situation, how do you come up with such detailed observations on the game whilst watching the crowd as a steward???

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think MA hasd discovered Magoos velvet bag under a bench in the dressing room. It consists of the centre halves we have at the club first then anyone else around it get into the team.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think MA hasd discovered Magoos velvet bag under a bench in the dressing room. It consists of the centre halves we have at the club first then anyone else around it get into the team.

next month we get Lynch back from Forest and Hinshlewood back from injury

Imagine that SOLID team

Kuipers

Whing Hawkins Elphick Lynch

Hinshlewood El Adb Fraser LIvermore Richards

Virgo

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I reckon intelligence is slowly seeping into the side. Players like Elphick and El-Abd appear to benefit from having the likes of Anyinsah, Savage, Richards and Thornton around them. OK, they're only loans, but takes the pressure off them a bit.

And nice to see the dross either farmed out or jogging on along the touchline.

without wanting to go all Uncle Buck/Steward 433 on the situation, how do you come up with such detailed observations on the game whilst watching the crowd as a steward???

Since my duties began at 3.30 in the parking and street areas, I was on 'light duty' during the match - and that entailed standing at the back of the North Stand, keeping aisles clear (especially at half-time) and showing anyone with doubts where their seat was. Looking at the back of the heads of (happily seated) season ticket holders that I now recognize and sometimes get to talk with, would be a bit silly - especially as I can spot them all adequately with an overall peripheral vision, and hear any potentially sensitive comments. I was then assigned to stand in front of the away fans in prep. for the penalties, and lastly block potential openings for anyone perhaps wanting to run onto the pitch at the end - where I answered a few of the kids' questions.
All the time, I am in possession of knowledge of fire and emergency drills, first aid in case you keel, crowd evacuation, FA ground rules and regs, hazard potential, decorum and general conduct that protects crowd individual (e.g. YOU) and collective comforts, and the standards that enable an actual match to take place at all! (like no nutters running on the pitch during it or throwing stuff).

You really ought to get off this kick of requiring stewards to all "watch the crowd" for every minute of every match. It's a singular judgement of what we do, and by no means covers every part of our duties. Even stewards standing at the front of the South Stand are expected to keep aware of what's going on in a match, so they know what the crowd are going to react with, or notice if a player were likely to try running into the crowd for example.

You may know who on here are stewarding, but you just don't know what that actually entails, so accept that sometimes we are able to see the match AND do our jobs as required.

Last edited:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Since my duties began at 3.30 in the parking and street areas, I was on 'light duty' during the match - and that entailed standing at the back of the North Stand, keeping aisles clear (especially at half-time) and showing anyone with doubts where their seat was. Looking at the back of the heads of (happily seated) season ticket holders that I now recognize and sometimes get to talk with, would be a bit silly - especially as I can spot them all adequately with an overall peripheral vision, and hear any potentially sensitive comments. I was then assigned to stand in front of the away fans in prep. for the penalties, and lastly block potential openings for anyone perhaps wanting to run onto the pitch at the end - where I answered a few of the kids' questions.
All the time, I am in possession of knowledge of fire and emergency drills, first aid in case you keel, crowd evacuation, FA ground rules and regs, hazard potential, decorum and general conduct that protects crowd individual (e.g. YOU) and collective comforts, and the standards that enable an actual match to take place at all! (like no nutters running on the pitch during it or throwing stuff).

You really ought to get off this kick of requiring stewards to all "watch the crowd" for every minute of every match. It's a singular judgement of what we do, and by no means covers every part of our duties. Even stewards standing at the front of the South Stand are expected to keep aware of what's going on in a match, so they know what the crowd are going to react with, or notice if a player were likely to try running into the crowd for example.

You may know who on here are stewarding, but you just don't know what that actually entails, so accept that sometimes we are able to see the match AND do our jobs as required.

Although I dont agree with this, I thank you for your much informative response. It gives a good detailed insight into the life of a matchday steward.

As I said I dont want to go all UB/S433 on it, as I dont have a massive problem with it, even though I dont agree with it.

Hinshelwood on the right wing?

Well I suppose we're seeing strange things across the pitch this season, so why not eh?

It was meant to be ridiculous, like it is ridiculous that Hawkins plays whilst injured, and Virgo is a briiliant centre back, yet plays up front, right midfield, left wing, or even worse centre midfield

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here