Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't like the bloke voice

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's quite clever but personally I don't see the appeal of voice recognition software, it will just lead to new generation of idiots on the train talking TO their phones. It's bad enough having to listening to half of a loud phone conversation but then adding the sound of some Nigel barking orders (which no doubt the phone won't understand) is a step too far.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Disappointing. I thought this was a thread about some Latino we'd signed or got on loan :down:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it will be interesting how big this becomes on the iphone. there has been very, very good vioce recognition software available for PCs for years, but the up take is nothing like what some expected. will the Cult of Jobs tell people its what they need so suddenly becomes a must have, or will it transpire it really isnt something people are concerned with?

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agree with Badger. I can't see any benefit in talking to your phone rather than just actually typing stuff yourself

In all occasions where you want or need to be doing something else with your hands, such as driving or when your hands are not steady enough for touchscreen use, such as when exercising.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I can't see the benefit personally. The only time I guess I would use it would be when driving and wanting to reply to a text message but really I would just make a phone call instead like I do now so I can't see the appeal. If its anything like the existing voice commands on the iphone it never understands what i want anyway. Call Home tends to randomly call someone from my contacts and never the number I want.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I guess you could say it's SIRIously impressive...

I'll get my coat

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
In all occasions where you want or need to be doing something else with your hands, such as driving or when your hands are not steady enough for touchscreen use, such as when exercising.

1. I can't imagine the voice recognition is that hot when faced with the background noise of driving a car.
2. When have you ever needed to type something on your phone whilst in the middle of doing exercise? Surely you would stop and then use your phone.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Brilliant. Now I've made the decision to upgrade from my 3GS (mainly by the fact that I can get a 12 month contract on O2) I can't wait to get one.

The big question is, given that O2 stores are restricted to existing customers only on Friday, how big will the queues be first thing in the morning...? (Drawback: the nearest O2 store to my office is the main one on Oxford Street :( )

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
When have you ever needed to type something on your phone whilst in the middle of doing exercise? Surely you would stop and then use your phone.

Disagree with this bit. When out jogging (for example) a text arrives and (assuming you're using your headphones for music anyway) you just tell your iPhone to read the text to you, then read your reply to it. No need to stop... perfect!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Anyway - if it works flawlessly, has a more natural voice and instead of having to press a button before and after you can just grab your phone's attention by saying it's name then talking, I'm sold.

Basically, I want Knight Rider in a phone

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Anyway - if it works flawlessly, has a more natural voice and instead of having to press a button before and after you can just grab your phone's attention by saying it's name then talking, I'm sold.

Basically, I want Knight Rider in a phone

As Bozza said that would be useful when driving. You could just shout "Turbo Boost" and jump over the rush hour traffic presumably. That would be some phone.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's potentially really cool, however, as discussed on another thread, it really depends on the quality of the voice recognition. Will it pick up good old fashioned British colloquialisms, for example?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Hmmmm maybe I suppose. But you'd still need to concentrate on checking the phone is doing as you are telling it i.e. has interpreted your message correctly and as such I can't see it being too great to use when driving.

It might be useful every now and then in other situations though, more of a gimmick than a real technology step forward for me though. My phone has had voice searching and typing for the last 18 months, but I've only used it about 2 times I think, for novelty value.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's potentially really cool, however, as discussed on another thread, it really depends on the quality of the voice recognition. Will it pick up good old fashioned British colloquialisms, for example?

Really it needs to be able to recognise things like:
"give us a butchers at the nearest ruby murray house"
"presents for the trouble and strife"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Really it needs to be able to recognise things like:
"give us a butchers at the nearest ruby murray house"
"presents for the trouble and strife"

To be honest, I was just thinking on a more basic level than that. If I want to text someone and say "I think you're a twat", I don't want my phone changing it to "I think you're all that".

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Gimmick! Let's find the solution for which there isn't really a problem but if you a a fan boy Apple have the power to sell you anything and make another buck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here