Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Potentially, unless they too began a campaign to rejoin the EU.

Not really many other options in UK politics sadly.
Actually, to be fair, having just looked they're a bit more wishy-washy on this issue than I expected.
See point 4, if anybody's bothered:

For what it's worth, I haven't the slightest interest in rejoining the EU. Or discussing the issue.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Potentially, unless they too began a campaign to rejoin the EU.

Not really many other options in UK politics sadly.

Liberal Democrats are the UK’s most pro-European political party.

We believe Britain’s best future is at the heart of Europe - and our long-term ambition is to see the UK in that place once more.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/news/article/rebuilding-trade-cooperation-with-europe#:~:text=Liberal%20Democrats%20are%20the%20UK's,in%20that%20place%20once%20more.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Liberal Democrats are the UK’s most pro-European political party.

We believe Britain’s best future is at the heart of Europe - and our long-term ambition is to see the UK in that place once more.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/news/article/rebuilding-trade-cooperation-with-europe#:~:text=Liberal%20Democrats%20are%20the%20UK's,in%20that%20place%20once%20more.
I'm aware of this. I'm not anti-EU, I think we need to have close ties with it... but I do think it would be an incredibly expensive disaster to rejoin, or even waste time considering it.

Once the general election arrives I'll see what they have to say on the issue and I'll certainly consider them. If they promise any kind of campaign to rejoin, I'm out though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm aware of this. I'm not anti-EU, I think we need to have close ties with it... but I do think it would be an incredibly expensive disaster to rejoin, or even waste time considering it.

Once the general election arrives I'll see what they have to say on the issue and I'll certainly consider them. If they promise any kind of campaign to rejoin, I'm out though.

Does that include joining the Customs Union ?

And out of interest, did you vote Conservative in 2019 in order to get Brexit Done ?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Does that include joining the Customs Union ?

And out of interest, did you vote Conservative in 2019 in order to get Brexit Done ?

I certainly think Britain should be open to joining or creating customs unions.

No, I could never vote Tory, besides I think Brexit would be going considerably better if we had a non-Tory government in charge throughout this time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I certainly think Britain should be open to joining or creating customs unions.

No, I could never vote Tory, besides I think Brexit would be going considerably better if we had a non-Tory government in charge throughout this time.

Thanks for your answer.

Well we do have the largest Customs Union and Trading Bloc in the world right on our doorstep so, unless we can persuade a lot of them to leave and join the new one that we decide to create, the best and most economically advantaged way forward may be to join that one.

On your last point we will have to agree to disagree :thumbsup:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I have repeatedly stated that income tax should be at the same % for all, with no exceptions, with the lowest paid (who would lose all that 'no tax below this income threshold' benefit) getting an offset by an increase in the minimum wage.

However this cuts no ice with many on the left who think that you should pay more tax as a % of income as you earn more.

If we can't agree with my sort of perspective then the management of income tax will require complex oversight, and will offer scope for offsetting and other wheezes. I am disappointed that the left don't see the value of fixed % tax. But not altogether surprised.

I could maybe agree with that if you also linked it to everyone having a Universal Basic Income.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It’s not just the bloody Tories but the bloody press who are willing to promulgate their propaganda.
Said it before and will say it again, being a Tory is doing politics on Easy mode

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I know this will end up as TL:DR but for those calling out for costed policies, all of this was part of that announcement

• Labour has now given costings for setting up a proposed state-owned energy company GB Energy. They say it will cost £8.3bn – previously they'd just said it would be invested in "until it is a self-sustaining entity".
  • Labour says its Local Power Plan - to invest in clean energy for local communities - will be £3.3bn of the £8.3bn GB Energy plans - a slight downgrade on previous announcements
  • A National Wealth Fund - to back business investment in new technology - will be £7.3bn - rather than the £8.3bn previously announced
  • A £500m-a-year fund for clean energy developers to invest in good jobs - the British Jobs Bonus - remains the same
  • The party will increase the Windfall tax on oil and gas companies from 75% to 78% and extend it to the end of the next parliament, which they say will raise £10.8bn. Currently the tax is scheduled to end in December 2025.
  • Labour has downgraded its Warm Homes Plan to insulate 19 million homes over a decade, instead it will cover up to 5 million homes over five years. Previously the plan had been capped at £6bn a year – now its £6.6bn over five years on top of the government's current commitments.
This sounds to me like a plan and still has clearwater between this and the tory party.

When money is available green appproaches will be prioritised is quite something. Is it what they originally pledged? No of course it isnt. But the tories have burnt a lot of money in 2.5 years!

Sky had an explainer a few weeks ago showing that 28bn wasnt actually the true figure of an increase and that it was nearer 10bn. That is now down (by my calculations) to 5bn which is still significant.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
How would that work ? You either join a Customs Union, abide by the rules and enjoy the advantages of being in it or you don't :shrug:

How could a Customs Union make it 'almost impossible' for members to leave ???

I agree, of course that re-joining the Customs Union would be the biggest single positive impact on the British economy that any Political party could make. At least we would get back huge economic benefits even if it meant very little of no power.
If we carry on as we are Poland will have a larger economy than us in 6 years.

If we rejoined by the early 2030's another series of Auf Wiedersehen Pet could well be on the cards

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It’s not just the bloody Tories but the bloody press who are willing to promulgate their propaganda.
Remember the Beeb has a former Tory Director of Communications on its board and a former Tory candidate as its Director General.

They've been infiltrated and sadly comprimised as a result

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I could maybe agree with that if you also linked it to everyone having a Universal Basic Income.
Yep. Agree.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I fully agree with the idea in theory. I wonder what kind of percentage we would be talking about in practice. The tax system in this country is absolutely ludicrous at the moment, and there is absolutely no reason for it to be.
Thing about this protocol is that the % could be changed at the press of a button. And also, for those obsessed with income tax, this means there would be no room to argue about which government taxes income the most.

I'd bin NI as well, as it is not, and never has been 'earmarked' for good works. It is just more income tax.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think when you last mentioned you couldn't give any idea of how much of a percentage everyone would have to pay which suggested you hadn't really worked it out. As well as not really providing any benefits of it
Not bothered about suggesting a percentage. Let the parties bid.

The benefits were clearly explained.

1. We all pay. No exceptions. So we are all in it together.
2. We all pay the same % so it is fair.
3. The lower paid will get paid more from their employers (via upping minimum wage). This ups the whole employment game. Better paid means of more value to the company, meaning better treatment and better self esteem. After the push back, of course.
4. An end to the relentless tax dodging.
5. A much simpler and cheaper system to operate.
6. No scope for top earners to spend 30% of what they would have paid in income tax to 'tax experts' who would arrange that the other 70% stays with the rich bloke rather than going to the exchequer.

And so on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Remember the Beeb has a former Tory Director of Communications on its board and a former Tory candidate as its Director General.

They've been infiltrated and sadly comprimised as a result
As has Ofcom, Ofgem and Ofwat. etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here