Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great points and agree with analysis.

I'm also pleased we won't get a hard left majority government as much as I am a hard right one. The majority are more centrist.

As flawed as FPTP is, there is still an advantage in preventing the UKIPs, Reform, and hard left factions from becoming kingmakers in a coalition government, which is what PR (a more representative voting system) could make possible, as well as more collapses.

We all saw it with the DUP..... giving agency and a free blackmail pass to gain all sorts of unfair financial and legislative gains to a small fringe party.

Your point is perennial, but the PR liberals turn a blind eye in the vain hope PR will get them 'in', if they can just get the labour and tory turkeys to vote for Christmas and change the system.

Starmer angers the hard left and the lard right, so I'm IN.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also does "Sir" Keir lose his title if he becomes PM.? I always remember the classic Yes Prime Minister episode when our Jim offered Sir Humphrey the choice, pay or honours! If he wants to be PM then he should renounce Peerage and can have it back when he's earnt his salt.
A knighthood is not a peerage.

f*** me, it's no wonder we have a tory government.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
How on earth does Starmer think channeling that viciously vindictive bitch is going to win him the keys to number 10? Might win over a small handful of Tory voters, but will alienate a whole lot more Labour voters
especially in Scotland where Labour were hoovering up disaffected SNP voters.

Bit of an un-neccessary OG me thinks

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i cant remember the exact phrase but wasn't there a hand written message when Labour lost power, something like "sorry we spent it all". If (when?) The conservatives lose i recon someone will reply with "we've syphoned off all the tax payers money to pay for our pensions"
It was a 'joke' written by an uncivil servant.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Although I wasn't the biggest fan of Sir Keir, I was clearly going to vote for him to remove the Tory bastards. I am not sure I can now he has come out with any type of love towards Thatcher. What was he thinking. Might have to go Lib dems.
He was comparing the current lot to Thatcher. I despised that dead witch but you have to say with hindsight now, compared to the likes of Johnson & Truss, she looks pretty capable and impressive. The two worst Prime Ministers this country has ever seen would make any others look top level. It’s a shame that the speech has been spun as overly pro-Thatcher but maybe what Starmer was intending.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I like Starmer’s independent thinking, pray may it continue.

Left wing identity politics nuts on social media want him to tick everyone of their boxes including hating every policy of Maggie and firmly targeting Israel over Hamas.

I liked him anyway, now he’s gone up in my estimation.

Where did this silly thing of “You’re with us on every single issue, or I’ll vote elsewhere” come from? The real world isn’t black and white.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Although I wasn't the biggest fan of Sir Keir, I was clearly going to vote for him to remove the Tory bastards. I am not sure I can now he has come out with any type of love towards Thatcher. What was he thinking. Might have to go Lib dems.
The internet search is spinning this as Starmer 'hails' Thatcher.

All he said was this: (Thatcher) "sought to drag Britain out of its stupor by setting loose our natural entrepreneurialism."

That's all he said. It is a fact. Am I, a labour member, offended. No. I think the reaction is hilarious.

One of my brothers is so angry that Corbyn is gone that he says he'd rather see the tories win than 'tory light' Starmer (he called Blair 'tory light' too) win. Tough. Ha ha. And bollocks.

If you want to waste your vote on the liberals (unless voting strategically in a seat labour cannot win) and see another tory clusterfuck, fill yet boots.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I like Starmer’s independent thinking, pray may it continue.

Left wing identity politics nuts on social media want him to tick everyone of their boxes including hating every policy of Maggie and firmly targeting Israel over Hamas.

I liked him anyway, now he’s gone up in my estimation.

Where did this silly thing of “You’re with us on every single issue, or I’ll vote elsewhere” come from? The real world isn’t black and white.
Ha ha! Yes, this "I will give the enemy my unswerving support (and my vote) if my team digresses one millimetre (from an orthodoxy that exists only in my mind)" bollocks would be tragic were it not so laughable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The internet search is spinning this as Starmer 'hails' Thatcher.

All he said was this: (Thatcher) "sought to drag Britain out of its stupor by setting loose our natural entrepreneurialism."

That's all he said. It is a fact. Am I, a labour member, offended. No. I think the reaction is hilarious.

One of my brothers is so angry that Corbyn is gone that he says he'd rather see the tories win than 'tory light' Starmer (he called Blair 'tory light' too) win. Tough. Ha ha. And bollocks.

If you want to waste your vote on the liberals (unless voting strategically in a seat labour cannot win) and see another tory clusterfuck, fill yet boots.

I worked for a long time with purported LibDem voters, their associates were LibDem councillors.

Everyone was posh, tax cheating, loaded, snobs, I had more of a social conscience as a floating voter, they treated staff like sh1t.

I got the impression it was a look at me “I’m not right wing” thing, a legacy from the days of Tim Sainsbury and Julien Avery.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I worked for a long time with purported LibDem voters, their associates were LibDem councillors.

Everyone was posh, tax cheating, loaded, snobs, I had more of a social conscience as a floating voter, they treated staff like sh1t.

I got the impression it was a look at me “I’m not right wing” thing, a legacy from the days of Tim Sainsbury and Julien Avery.
And let's not mention Jeremy Thorpe. Dammitt, too late.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He was comparing the current lot to Thatcher. I despised that dead witch but you have to say with hindsight now, compared to the likes of Johnson & Truss, she looks pretty capable and impressive. The two worst Prime Ministers this country has ever seen would make any others look top level. It’s a shame that the speech has been spun as overly pro-Thatcher but maybe what Starmer was intending.
She was despised by many, but the one thing Thatcher had, that very few do today, was the courage of her convictions, even if those convictions were flawed.

To swim against the tide of popular opinion, because you think something is the right thing to do, is brave and just doesnt happen today.

It's policy and positions by focus groups and the direction of political winds. Scared of unfavourable press or being cancelled.

Weirdly as much as I cant stand Corbyn and think he has some very odd/dangerous positions, he too was more in that conviciton mould of standing for what he believes in sometimes (though not in EU), and I do respect that about any politician.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Also, the nanosecond their leader is required to compromise on a policy, once they find themselves in the hallowed land of a coalition, they all scream for a policeman over the 'betrayal', and then trash their party for the following ten years. Twats.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
She was despised by many, but the one thing Thatcher had, that very few do today, was the courage of her convictions, even if those convictions were flawed.

To swim against the tide of popular opinion, because you think something is the right thing to do, is brave and just doesnt happen today.

It's policy and positions by focus groups and the direction of political winds. Scared of unfavourable press or being cancelled.

Weirdly as much as I cant stand Corbyn and think he has some very odd/dangerous positions, he too was more in that conviciton mould of standing for what he believes in sometimes (though not in EU), and I do respect that about any politician.
Blair, also, stuck to his guns by backing the US over Iraq. Sadly he clutched needlessly to a bogus justification (real WMDs found over there - look!) after the decision was made. But he was prepared to incur the wrath of the loony left. And he won a third term after that.

Thatcher was odd. As an autistic person myself I see in her some similar traits. Seeing the obvious elephant in the room that everyone was pretending to not notice (that backing a status quo where managers and workers were in the same closed shop union) and saying so is one such trait. She was lucky that her sense of irritation coincided with an anger against the striking and sunny Jim's complacency. The rest is history.

I still loath her of course. But it was what it was.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Have you read the full article? He doesnt profess love for Thatcher. He talks about needing a strategy and effecting meaningful change. He names atlee and blair as well. All 3 of them had an ideology, a plan and a strategy. I hate so much about Thatcher but i cant doubt she honestly believed in what she did and had and created a team and a top to bottom cabinet aligned to delivering it

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Also does "Sir" Keir lose his title if he becomes PM.? I always remember the classic Yes Prime Minister episode when our Jim offered Sir Humphrey the choice, pay or honours! If he wants to be PM then he should renounce Peerage and can have it back when he's earnt his salt.
A sir can be PM. A lord has to renounce it to enter the commons

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A knighthood is not a peerage.

f*** me, it's no wonder we have a tory government.

Sadly, this is where I am. If people insist on being really f***ing stupid, I'm not sure there's anything me, you, or anyone else can do. At the end of the day, you can only look after yourself and your friends and family :shrug:

I have tried shouting 'Please put down the electric fire before you jump into the bath' numerous times :laugh:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Sadly, this is where I am. If people insist on being really f***ing stupid, I'm not sure there's anything me, you, or anyone else can do. At the end of the day, you can only look after yourself and your friends and family :shrug:

I have tried shouting 'Please put down the electric fire before you jump into the bath' numerous times :laugh:
Keep up the good work mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here