Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Something I have been looking at recently is what they call 'projects' here in Germany. In short a group of people organise themselves into a buyer community/co-operative, buy a piece of land and build whatever it is they want e.g. some houses, a block of apartments. In effect, the buyer community becomes a developer. The huge difference is they are not building for profit, and given the build cost is around a 1/3 of the regular price, they have good budgets and can build attractive looking quality and sizable dwellings. A friend is involved in one of these and their project is now finished and looks great and has lots of land, a childrens play area and a community hall. This seems like a good solution to the housing issue for the folk in their 20s and 30s in the UK.
Most social and affordable housing in Ireland is now built by charities - and I have a major problem with this as it let's the government and the local councils off the hook.

Local councils in Ireland are sitting on large banks of land zoned for housing but won't build social and affordable housing - instead they flog them at knockdown prices to private developers.

Housing needs should be provided by local councils through a state operated construction company - it would save significantly on building costs, it would ensure proper employment for building workers (not bogus so-called self-employment contracts), and it would ensure that the land is properly developed with appropriate infrastructure, utilities and services in place.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I never knew this. It will be interestng to know the reason why.
One of the last ones that I can recall, locally, was a row of terraced houses, I think in Hangleton Lane on the hill leading to Mile Oak.

My guess is that all potential building land is being identified by developers and added to their land banks paying prices out of the reach of self build groups.

We had an enquiry letter a couple of months ago from a company identifying our property and those of our three neighbours as potential development land. They employ people to look at aerial photos to find new development sites.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They seem to be single dwellings whereas I was referring to multi unit self builds of, say, 10 - 15 houses which would be built for self occupation.

You’re right. Kevin McCloud promoted a scheme you touch on, part televised. I think it went bust in the end.

I know that in general there’s a lack of land due to everyone fighting planning near them. Partly because of that, it literally costs multi £10,000’s per unit to obtain planning permission with no guarantee of success. Architects, 15 different consultants. This was a sea change this millennium, the same reason why vast numbers of smaller house builders left the game. Effectively the requirements for outline planning permission now have to meet the old requirements for full planning permission.

I wonder if single unit self builds are back garden filling or after demolishing a shack.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Indeed but these sorts of policies should contribute to a defeat for the Tories that will be so catastrophic, it’ll decapitate them in to two parliamentary parties.

The head part with be the current incarnation, perhaps some decent Tories will manage to gain control but with less than 50 seats, power will be difficult to come by for a couple of decades.

The brainless section controlled by the arsehole instead, which no doubt you will support, will be this lot:
Johnson as leader, Truss as shadow chancellor, Braverman as shadow Home Secretary and your favour pin up, Dories as shadow health secretary. You’ll be on your knees for them won’t you!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Indeed but these sorts of policies should contribute to a defeat for the Tories that will be so catastrophic, it’ll decapitate them in to two parliamentary parties.

The head part with be the current incarnation, perhaps some decent Tories will manage to gain control but with less than 50 seats, power will be difficult to come by for a couple of decades.

The brainless section controlled by the arsehole instead, which no doubt you will support, will be this lot:
Johnson as leader, Truss as shadow chancellor, Braverman as shadow Home Secretary and your favour pin up, Dories as shadow health secretary. You’ll be on your knees for them won’t you!
Yeah but, no but...whataboutery Grade 1.

This is a Starmer thread, and my point was that the Momentum bods aren't happy with this wealth love-in.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Dissapointing news for those hoping for radical change at the next GE ... no significant attempts to redistribute wealth, no reversal of Brexit, stay outside the customs union and single market ... Vote Labour for more of the same? ???
My thoughts exactly.

Plus ça change.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

This is a Starmer thread, and my point was that the Momentum bods aren't happy with this wealth love-in.
Moaning about whataboutery on a thread you repeatedly bounce with a whataboutery post every couple of weeks out of desperation ? You couldn't make it up :laugh:

With JCFG 'the bringer of truth' still backing you up :dunce:

Better give it a thumbs up quick

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Fortunately Momentum are no more relevant today than Militant were in 1997

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Big day today for Sir Keir with a reshuffle of the shadow cabinet announced. Will there be an olive branch to the left of the party with a welcome return to the front benches for Richard Burgon?? Many within the party would like to also see Annelise Dodds take a more prominent role too.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Liz Kendall to Work & Pensions. Expect more persecution of those in need of welfare as Starmer refuses to raise revenue from those who can afford it.

Pleased to see Rayner get Levelling Up though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here