Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Jonny wilkinson

rool

Jul 10, 2003
bollocks mate, your blood pressure deserves to go through the roof. If you can't celebrate a great national achievment then sling one.

I wouldn't want anyone one like you to think anything else of me than a tosser so I'll drink to that :drink:

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
munster monch said:
bollocks mate, your blood pressure deserves to go through the roof. If you can't celebrate a great national achievment then sling one.

I wouldn't want anyone one like you to think anything else of me than a tosser so I'll drink to that :drink:

Granted
Twat

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
blimey, anyone would think there was only one player in English rugby.

What about little Jason Robinson, without whose try, Wilkinson's kicking would have been for nothing... what about the forwards who dominated the game and constantly pushed into kicking territory... what about the player (dawson?) who at the end charged though the aussie forwards to gain the perfect field position from which the final kick was made?

I counted 20 odd heros out there on saturday.
:clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I reckon the whole team will get OBEs as the 66 team did.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree, they should ALL get a gong. Not often we're the World Champions at anything. They made me proud.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I actually agree with Marvin to a certain degree I think Jonny Wilkinson himself would agree that a knighthood is just a tad over the top, as a knighthood should be the ultimate accolade for a significant time spent at the top of your chosen sport or for lengthy outstanding service to country, commerce or community.

No one can say that Wilkinson has not acheived greatness, but an MBE or OBE should be a more appropriate, perhaps at a special ceremony just for the team and coaches at Buck Palace.

Its worrying that we devalue things in our country to such an extent that they become meaningless and time after time it is fuelled by populist tabloids jumping on a bandwagon in a sad attempt to boost sales.

If the sun had their way The entire cast of Pop Idol would be knighted along with Wayne Rooney and Shane Richie becoming Lords, and Frank Bruno the Duke of York.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Clive Woodward should get a knighthood for services to sport in this country. If it was good enough for Sir Alf Ramsey...

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Downloaded Penguin said:
Clive Woodward should get a knighthood for services to sport in this country. If it was good enough for Sir Alf Ramsey...

That I have less of a problem with.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Woodward will get a knighthood as per Alf Ramsey, after all rugby is a popular sport with the sort of people who make these decisions. But I don't have a problem with that, he deserves it.

Wilkinson is too young to be a sir at the moment. He'll get an OBE or MBE as will the rest of the team. Call him sir at the end of his career, not now at 23!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
History dictates that Clive Woodward will get a knighthood next month. Alf Ramsey was awarded a knighthood in the 1967 New Year's Honours List.

Geoff Hurst was knighted about 30 years after the event, mainly for long-standing services to football. He was only 24 when he scored that hat-trick, it was only his ninth game for England.

Although I am not against Jonny getting a knighthood, at only 24, I can't see it happening.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Large One said:
History dictates that Clive Woodward will get a knighthood next month. Alf Ramsey was awarded a knighthood in the 1967 New Year's Honours List.

Geoff Hurst was knighted about 30 years after the event, mainly for long-standing services to football. He was only 24 when he scored that hat-trick, it was only his ninth game for England.

Although I am not against Jonny getting a knighthood, at only 24, I can't see it happening.

When did Sir Bobby Moore get his knighthood? I've been trying to remember.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Rougvie said:
If the sun had their way The entire cast of Pop Idol would be knighted along with Wayne Rooney and Shane Richie becoming Lords, and Frank Bruno the Duke of York.

if the sun had their way, big frank would be the

'BONKERS BARON OF MADSHIRE'

scum

Sam

Formerly "Sambo"
Jul 22, 2003
Oxfordshire
Rougvie said:
No one can say that Wilkinson has not acheived greatness, but an MBE or OBE should be a more appropriate, perhaps at a special ceremony just for the team and coaches at Buck Palace.

Jonny already has an MBE you muppet along with Jason Leonard.:jester:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yorkie said:
When did Sir Bobby Moore get his knighthood? I've been trying to remember.

I might be wrong here, but I don't think he did.

And while the whole 1966 team got honours, disgracefully half of them didn't get their OBEs (I think) until a few years back (i say disgracefully not because I'm a fan of honours but because if you're honouring some members of the team, then surely you honour them all).

I reckon they won't make the same mistake with the rugby team.

I suspect, unless the government does one of its "let's grab the zeitgeist and hope like hell it helps our popularity" tricks, there won't be any awards in the New Years' Honours List, for the simple reason that it will all be tied up, the decisions made, etc., by now. So don't be disappointed if they don't get awards - they will surely come at the next round.

It strikes me that, in these situations, Coach/Manager will get knighthoods (Johnson only if he retires now), and the rest of the team OBEs. I don't personally agree with Wilkinson getting a higher honour than the others - perhaps if he keeps it up and continues to serve England in the same way, he can have one when he retires.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yorkie said:
Isn't there?

Knighthoods are there for services to the community.

Some do service to the community by cheering us up with sporting prowess.

I don't begrudge any popular figure getting gongs whether it is for sport, pop music or films.

Here Here !!! :clap2:

.... although I do object to politcians getting honours ( except Chruchill of course ). :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here