Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sir Jim Ratcliffe's Five Rules

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Even the big rich clubs just can't afford to start again with squads and playing styles every time they change their gaffer.

This kind of philosophy must be the final nail in the coffin for managers like Harry Redknapp.

Shame. I'm a massive fan, as most people know.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I read a piece on him in the guardian the other day. By all accounts he is hell bent on securing public money to pay for the redevelopment of Old Trafford and by as the richest man in the nation and his extreme power, and the people he knows in power he is probably likely to secure it.
You logged on to your wrong account, mate.

Or did you? ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have an issue with Rule 2. What actually IS 'a Galactico'? Surely it just means 'stand out player / big star name'?

Real Madrid would 100% class Jude Bellingham as a 'Galactico', and Mbappe arrives very much under that heading.

Does Rule 2 mean United would turn down signing those players?

Real would also consider that Vini Jr - signed as an (expensive) teenage prospect - is one of their current Galacticos. Does Rule 2 mean that if a young United player develops into anything special, then they MUST be sold?

I guess that all it really means in practice is that they aim to stop wasting money on big names, that other clubs have already had the best years of, like Casemiro, and (the second coming of) Ronaldo. (In which case Rule 1 covers it anyway).

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I have an issue with Rule 2. What actually IS 'a Galactico'? Surely it just means 'stand out player / big star name'?

Real Madrid would 100% class Jude Bellingham as a 'Galactico', and Mbappe arrives very much under that heading.

Does Rule 2 mean United would turn down signing those players?

Real would also consider that Vini Jr - signed as an (expensive) teenage prospect - is one of their current Galacticos. Does Rule 2 mean that if a young United player develops into anything special, then they MUST be sold?

I guess that all it really means in practice is that they aim to stop wasting money on big names, that other clubs have already had the best years of, like Casemiro, and (the second coming of) Ronaldo. (In which case Rule 1 covers it anyway).
It would have been clearer had he just written what he meant.

Rule 2: However tempting it might be, don't sign Ronaldo again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The DOF deciding style of play is a bit odd?

I want you to go to City and play all out attack

No

OK, You are fired.
Well it clearly doesn't mean 'on a game by game' basis.

It means whether the club is going to focus on a possession-based structure, or play largely on the break, etc.

Makes complete sense to aim for continuity in such areas, rather than changing styles each time a manager leaves.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Rule 6 - you must voluntarily resign so we don’t have to pay your redundancy

Not surprised by this. I interviewed for Belstaff during the height of lockdown when everyone was working from home unless they physically couldn't. They required the candidate to be in their office 5 days a week, even though it was an IT job, all their systems were either SaaS based or could be accessed via a VPN as they had multiple sites globally. They hated the idea of remote/hybrid working.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here