Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sir Gary Lineker - 25 years at the MotD helm

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Next cab off the rank for MOTD is almost certainly "Alec" Scott.

Be careful what you wish for, oh gammonati.

I find Linekar a bit self satisfied and can't stand his condescending comments about England fans, especially when we played Russia in Marseille but on the basis of the above, a new 10 year contract on £1 million a year and I'm fine with it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He's great. Quality player, turned consummate broadcaster.

That he has a social conscience and manages to so terribly trigger the gammon population, is just a huge bonus.
I used to like him. Now I think he's an overpaid idiot.

Frankly I whizz through the highlights anyway, and only stop to hear the pundits talk at the end of our match. Given they get another presenter for say £250k instead of his £1.5million they should just do that and it wouldn't detract from the show at all.
QED

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Heartfelt congratulations to the UK’s #1 football presenter, long may he continue

There is nothing greater than when someone previously lost, sees the light :laugh:

It's so much better without the Smug Brothers, that ####er Lineker and boring Shearer.

Far too 'golf buddies, in-jokes and smug Dad jokes' for me.
Each to their own.

Barton wins, as usual in these threads.

Then Bellamy, then Keane then Lineker.

With this number of arrivals continuing to increase, would you say that here may be a limit at some stage regarding our ability as a nation to provide such refuge, security, opportunity and better life?

Not all higher rate tax payers earn the £4m Lineker salary, and already pay a significant amount via PAYE.

It is already evident that future state pensions for residents having paid a lifetime of contributions might be at risk due to decreasing funding. I have no idea what it may be, but every system has a limit where it cannot cope any further.

The fact that we're boracic now, and will be for many years, won't help either.

No mate. You keep playing the 'self-employed' card when he earns over a mill on one of the highest viewed progs.

Desperate.

I'm sure he'll be more than happy to give it all to the cause then.

Ridiculous, it is clear what he said and any insinuation therein.

Don't piss off Lineker and Shearer.

You have been warned!

Because it certainly wouldn't be yet more pointless trolling :thumbsup:

Last edited:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Linekar is now in National Treasure territory, he has been an excellent presenter for MotD and the Beeb in general.

Not sure how someone qualifies to be a ‘national treasure’ but Lineker is not even close. Ridiculous comment (IMHO of course)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Happy 60th birthday to MOTD.
Aug 22 1964....on BBC 2...Liverpool 3 Arsenal 2.
Ironically, very few fans in ' beatleville ' were able to watch it back as BBC 2 wasn't then available in the North of England.
In 1966 MOTD moved to BBC 1.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
It's a great achievement and he's a solid broadcaster but I think he's been overstepping his role recently and in the euro's. He's acting like a bit of a knob in my opinion.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
These are a good presenter.

Shame about his brother, though.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Not sure how someone qualifies to be a ‘national treasure’ but Lineker is not even close. Ridiculous comment (IMHO of course)
For me he became one when scored the equalising 83rd minute pen v Cameroon in 1990. He was so calm, never in doubt, whilst I was bricking it.

England didn't do semi finals in those days.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Jermaine Jenas sacked by the BBC, no long the heir to Lineker's throne. Good chance for Alex Scott to step up now.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Jermaine Jenas sacked by the BBC, no long the heir to Lineker's throne. Good chance for Alex Scott to step up now.

The Jenas thing is completely left field, he was commentating for TNT at Ipswich on Saturday, so clearly there’s something about to come out and the Beeb after Huw Edwards have made a pre emptive strike.

Lets hope it’s actually something genuine rather than trial by media?

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Jenas thing is completely left field, he was commentating for TNT at Ipswich on Saturday, so clearly there’s something about to come out and the Beeb after Huw Edwards have made a pre emptive strike.

Lets hope it’s actually something genuine rather than trail by media?
He's currently presenting on Talkshite (or at least he was due to be!)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lets hope it’s actually something genuine rather than trail by media?
Workplace misconduct.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
FFS so the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony is now ruined because it was narrated by Huw Edwards now the entire Euro 2024 and 2022 World Cup draw coverage is ruined given he hosted both

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here