Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Des !

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Where is the GREAT (and that is not because he is a Brighton fan) Sir Des now ? Lets face it from the mid '80' until he went to ITV he was untouchable. :clap::bigwave:

Attachments

• des.jpg
    des.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 446

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
I've met him years ago in East Preston-very tall!.Don't know if he still has a house in Kingston Gorse?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought Terry Wogan has been knighted and he was bornin Ireland

He was given an honorary knighthood. A few years ago, Wogan became a British citizen (while retaining his Irish ciitzenship) and thus can call himself Sir Terry.
Edit: Bob Geldof is an Irish citizen so he has no right to call himself Sir Bob - the knighthood is only honorary

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Where is the GREAT (and that is not because he is a Brighton fan) Sir Des now ? Lets face it from the mid '80' until he went to ITV he was untouchable. :clap::bigwave:

Gravity caught up with him and he went from being the housewive's choice to being forced into cameo appearances on the cartoon show Droopy

images

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
He was given an honorary knighthood. A few years ago, Wogan became a British citizen (while retaining his Irish ciitzenship) and thus can call himself Sir Terry.
Edit: Bob Geldof is an Irish citizen so he has no right to call himself Sir Bob - the knighthood is only honorary

To be fair, I don't think Bob ever refers to himself as 'sir', only others do.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Ive always found Des to be aloof with an air of arrogance , whenever i have seen him at the football, always though he was a great bloke till then.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ive always found Des to be aloof with an air of arrogance , whenever i have seen him at the football, always though he was a great bloke till then.

Look at who he supports, could it not be that he's thinking "what the f*** am I doing here?" and you are mistaking that resigned expression for aloof or arrogant :lolol:

At least with Fatboy Slim, he was probably out of it at most games and therefore looked a little happier to be at Withdean.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Look at who he supports, could it not be that he's thinking "what the f*** am I doing here?" and you are mistaking that resigned expression for aloof or arrogant :lolol:

At least with Fatboy Slim, he was probably out of it at most games and therefore looked a little happier to be at Withdean.

Point taken, but it appears he sees himself above all those around him, he does not willing talk to regular supporters as a supporter, he alway talks to others as "the great Des Lynham".
Never ventures from the hospitality as its beneath him.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Saw him in the India Gate, in Arundel a few weeks ago, looking a tad "more mature" but still has that air of spohistication and awfully polite.

Knights and Dames Grand Cross and Knights and Dames Commander who are not citizens of Commonwealth realms are not entitled to the prefix "Sir" or "Dame", but may still use the post-nominal abbreviations. For example, American Bill Gates was made a Knight Commander, yet he is not entitled "Sir William" or "Sir William Gates III", although he may use the title "William Henry Gates III, KBE". Honorary knights do not receive the accolade. If recipients later become citizens of Commonwealth realms, then they are usually made substantive members of the Order, and are entitled to begin using the Sir prefix. For example, Irish broadcaster Terry Wogan was appointed an honorary KBE in 2005. He subsequently took dual British and Irish nationality, was made a substantive member, and is now entitled to use the name "Sir Terry Wogan".[

Honorary knighhoods
Notable honorary recipients
Bernard Haitink, KBE (1977, Netherlands)
Bob Geldof, KBE (1986, Ireland)
Taher al-Masri, GBE (1988, Jordan)
Alfred Brendel, KBE (1989, Austria)
Brent Scowcroft, KBE (1993, United States)
Raymond Sackler, KBE (1995, United States)
James Wolfensohn, KBE (1995, United States)
André Previn, KBE (1996, United States)
Edison (Edson) "Pelé" Arantes do Nascimento, KBE (1997, Brazil) :ohmy::thumbsup: SIr Pele:lolol:
Leighton W. Smith, Jr., KBE (1997, United States)
Harri Holkeri, KBE (1999, Finland)
George J. Mitchell, GBE (1999, United States)
Wesley Clark, KBE (2000, United States)
Billy Graham, KBE (2001, United States)
Steven Spielberg, KBE (2001, United States)
James D. Watson, KBE (2001, United States)
Plácido Domingo, KBE (2002, Spain)
Niall FitzGerald, KBE (2002, Ireland)
Rudy Giuliani, KBE (2002, United States)
Alan Greenspan, KBE (2002, United States)
Ann Murray, DBE (2002, Ireland)
William Trevor, KBE (2002, Ireland)
Sam E. Jonah, KBE (2003, South Africa)
Murray Perahia, KBE (2004, United States)
Tommy Franks, KBE (2004, United States)
Bill Gates, KBE (2004, United States)
Paul "Bono" Hewson, KBE (2007, Ireland) :ohmy:
Ted Kennedy, KBE (2009, United States)
John Warner, KBE (2009, United States)

what the **** has the majority of those people ever reeally done to be a knight, the honary list really is a joke.

Des Quote

Football comment:-

"More football later, but first let's see the goals from the Scottish Cup Final":lolol:

Ally McCoist said: "That was the goal that killed off the game."

Des replied: "Actually Ally, I think what you meant to say was, 'that was the goal that inspired Marseille to a great fight-back.' We wouldn't want any of our viewers to switch off."

Des Lynam, Alan Hansen and Andy Gray are standing before God at the throne of Heaven.

God looks at them and says, "Before granting you a place at my side I must first ask you what you believe in."

Addressing Mr Hansen first he asks, "What do you believe ?"

Big Al looks God in the eye and states passionately, "I believe football to be the food of life. Nothing else brings such unbridled joy to so many people from the slums of Sao Paolo to the mansions of Chelsea. I have devoted my life to bring such joy to those people who stood on the terraces at Anfield."

God looks up and offers Alan the seat to his left.

He then turns to Andy Gray. "And you Mr Gray. What do you believe ?"

Andy stands tall and proud. "I believe courage, honour and passion are the fundamentals of life, and I've spent my whole playing career providing a living embodiment of these traits."

God, moved by the passion of the speech, offers Andy the seat to his right.

Finally, he turns to Des Lynam. "And you Mr Lynam, what do you believe ?"

"I believe", says Des smoothly, "You are in my seat !!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here