Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Bradley Wiggins ...

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
That doesn't mean Taylor has not dedicated himself any less in his efforts to stay top of the field for 20 years and why should he not take credit for making the game more popular .

Cycling as a sport was less popular in this country before Chris H

Judo until Brian Jacks

All I'm saying is that he should be recognised for his achievements based on some who already have them LOUIS SMITH !!!!
Maybe he's been offered one but turned it down. You never know.

Also, Cycling has always been popular as a sport, where as darts (whether you like it or not) has really only been popular as a pub pasttime.

Oh, and if darts is so popular and far reaching where is the 100+ page thread dedicated to darts on NSC?

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Maybe he's been offered one but turned it down. You never know.

Also, Cycling has always been popular as a sport, where as darts (whether you like it or not) has really only been popular as a pub pasttime.

Oh, and if darts is so popular and far reaching where is the 100+ page thread dedicated to darts on NSC?

Cycling in the UK has only been a popular hobby until CHris H

So 100+ pages on this site makes it a recognised sport lol

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Cycling in the UK has only been a popular hobby until CHris H

So 100+ pages on this site makes it a recognised sport lol
There you go again with the "Hobby" comment, yet your define darts as a sport. When was darts last in the olympics? Surely that is the true measure of a sport. How many gold medals has darts won us? Compared with 14 out of 48 in 2012. I suppose all these Olympians only started training after Chris Hoy won some golds in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DISCIPLINE of the sport.

Can you read? "Oh, and if darts is so popular and far reaching where is the 100+ page thread dedicated to darts on NSC?" Where does it say that 100+ pages makes something a recognised sport? By appearing in the Olympics surely that makes it a sport, without any doubt.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Bull S****, Bradley Wiggins has openely stated his opposition to any hereditory privalege. Hence he's attitude on recieving the Sports Personality of the Year from the Duchess of Cambridge. Balls to him! I think he is an arrogant pleb, admitedly fit after TDF but mentally deficient!

A knighthood is not an hereditary privilege it is a meritorious award.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
That doesn't mean Taylor has not dedicated himself any less in his efforts to stay top of the field for 20 years and why should he not take credit for making the game more popular .

If he's so dedicated why is so unhealthy looking?

I think you'll find the levels of dedication for different sports are completely different. Or are you going to suggest it takes as much to win a darts tournament as it does a Hawaiian Ironman?

Cycling as a sport was less popular in this country before Chris H

That sounds like someone who's not a cycling fan.

British cycling and the companies that made the bikes are world famous. You keep bringing up Chris Hoy, but he's a track cyclist. Road racing was always popular as a sport. If cycling was only popular from the 90's onwards why were bicycles sales biggest in the decades predating that? Raleigh for example.

All I'm saying is that he should be recognised for his achievements based on some who already have them LOUIS SMITH !!!!

Recognition doesn't work like that.

Doesn't the fact that he's not been recognised tell you that darts is rated pretty low in the scale of things?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If he's so dedicated why is so unhealthy looking?

Because he is dedicated to his "sport"? :lol:

Those long hours of training down the pub take it out of you I guess.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Anyway Eric Bristow is an MBE and he got that before he was in the jungle so it does happen

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Any less healthy than this ?

epo.jpg

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
There you go again with the "Hobby" comment, yet your define darts as a sport. When was darts last in the olympics? Surely that is the true measure of a sport. How many gold medals has darts won us? Compared with 14 out of 48 in 2012. I suppose all these Olympians only started training after Chris Hoy won some golds in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DISCIPLINE of the sport.

Can you read? "Oh, and if darts is so popular and far reaching where is the 100+ page thread dedicated to darts on NSC?" Where does it say that 100+ pages makes something a recognised sport? By appearing in the Olympics surely that makes it a sport, without any doubt.

I'm of knocking cycling and fully appreciate their efforts as I appreciate all disciplines and all sports

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Coming from someone that is in favour of supporting a sport where the average alcohol consumption at the darts final is approximately 7 pints per person per day. That's a really healthy spectator sport isn't it.

That's the most non relevant comment so far Well Done

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If darts was a proper sport it would be in the Olympics.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'm of knocking cycling and fully appreciate their efforts as I appreciate all disciplines and all sports

Looking at the list of who has got them ,based on the sporting achievements of those who have them ! being an ambassador of his sport for 20 + years and world champion 15 times then yes he should. It might only be darts but riding round in a circle is hardly a sport is it ?

Third-party-facepalm.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When was darts last in the olympics? Surely that is the true measure of a sport.

hardly, its a measure of a sport's lobby getting it included in the olympics. Is golf not a sport because its not in the olympics? i hardly see how weightlifting or sychronised swimming are sports, they are exercise gone extreme. technically they are sport as the definition is a competitive physical activity. darts qualifies under that. and if shooting and archery are olympic sports, why cant darts be?

lets be fair here, most olympic sports are physical "hobbies", thats rather the point of the olympics and its amateur foundation.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Coming from someone that is in favour of supporting a sport where the average alcohol consumption at the darts final is approximately 7 pints per person per day. That's a really healthy spectator sport isn't it.

When Phil Taylor gets stripped of 7 of his Major titles for drug cheating, come back for a reasoned debate on the merits of substance abuse in the respective sports.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
hardly, its a measure of a sport's lobby getting it included in the olympics. Is golf not a sport because its not in the olympics? i hardly see how weightlifting or sychronised swimming are sports, they are exercise gone extreme. technically they are sport as the definition is a competitive physical activity. darts qualifies under that. and if shooting and archery are olympic sports, why cant darts be?

lets be fair here, most olympic sports are physical "hobbies", thats rather the point of the olympics and its amateur foundation.
Actually I'll agree with that.

However, the Olympic motto is the hendiatrisCitius, Altius, Fortius, which is Latin for "Faster, Higher, Stronger". Under this motto football, archery, darts, etc... shouldn't qualify.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
When Phil Taylor gets stripped of 7 of his Major titles for drug cheating, come back for a reasoned debate on the merits of substance abuse in the respective sports.

The difference being only a very, very small amount of people would care if he got stripped of his titles.

The rest would not notice nor care if it occurred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here