Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Alex said.....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
"The young boy showed a bit of inexperience but they got him sent off, everyone sprinted towards the referee - typical Germans."

images

images

images

images

images

images

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So much easier than looking at the fact that the stupidity of his own player cost them the game.

The stupid bulbous-nosed, ruddy-faced, scotch gobshite. :tosser:

The most pleasing thing was that once he ws sent off, United never even looked like scoring. They couldn't even get the ball in the last 5 minutes. HA HA!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I thought that there was a lot of play-acting on Bayern's part last night. Ironic really, becuase it is the same play acting that teams like Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal used to do all the time until the Premier League cracked down on it.

In this case I simply think that United were beaten by a side that, tactically speaking, outthought them.

Oh, and Rafael, for all his talent is a liability. Too often does he get needless bookings and sendings off.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The most pleasing thing was that once he ws sent off, United never even looked like scoring. They couldn't even get the ball in the last 5 minutes. HA HA!

Dunno about that...Nani had a decent chance when he went through on goal down the left, Carrick skied one from close in and there were a couple of other half-chances that on another day could've gone in.

This, of course, made it all the MORE enjoyable though. "Agonising" I think they call it.
Yes. Agonising.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It certainly shouldn't count if a game goes to extra time, does it ?

It does in the UEFA champions league. It varies from competition to competition, for example in the CONCACAF Champions league, the away goal rule is scrapped once a game enters extra time.

I agree with you. The away goal rule should not count once the game enters extra time.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Some of Bayerns 'tactics' were sickening, play acting and targetting Rooneys ankle was dreadful and has no part in the modern game.

:nono:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Pretty certain it doesnt count after extra time.

Wrong.

From the rules of the UEFA Champions League:

Article 7

Away goals, extra time

7.01 For matches played under the cup (knock-out) system, if the two teams
involved in a tie score the same number of goals over the two legs, the team
which scores more away goals qualifies for the next stage. If this procedure
does not produce a result, i.e. if the two teams score the same number of
goals at home and away, extra time of two periods of 15 minutes shall be
played at the end of the second leg. If, during extra time, both teams score
the same number of goals, away goals count double (i.e. the visiting club
qualifies). If no goals are scored during extra time, kicks from the penalty
mark (Article 16) determine which club qualifies for the next stage.

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
This comment did not surprise me in the slightest. Pot, kettle.........

I think it will not be too long before Sir Alex 'goes upstairs'. I think English football needs a new 'Wenger' to breath some more life into a Premier league which is going stale. If Man Utd have an excellent chance to take the lead here.

I like the away goals rule, stops teams 'parking the bus' in the 1st leg.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
The away goal ruling surely should be ditched in football in my opinion.

Nope, it is the away goal rule that makes European games interesting. At 3-0 last night if it was a normal game without away goals it would have almost been over, but because of that rule Bayern knew that if they got one back, they were one away from winning the tie.

It also makes first legs (and even ties) that could seem to be over at 3-0 after 60 minutes not all over because if away sides snatch a goal they are back in with a sniff.

It also makes for more entertaining games (esp in the 1st leg) as away sides attack more for the away goal, rather than sit for a 0-0.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
"The young boy showed a bit of inexperience but they got him sent off, everyone sprinted towards the referee - typical Germans."

images

images

images

images

images

images

I saw that report on telly this morning and thought exactly the same.......Man U must be one of the worst teams in trying to get player sent off........oh and also..........Arsenal...............Chelski........Drogba!!!!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
So much easier than looking at the fact that the stupidity of his own player cost them the game.

The stupid bulbous-nosed, ruddy-faced, scotch gobshite. :tosser:

you can add hypocrite to that list,I seem to remember the MU players doing much the same not so long ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here