Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Single Malt Whiskey

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Over the sea to Skye - another vote for The Talisker, though I do rather like Glen Ord.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Where are you based?

I have just entered a founders investment with the Lakes Distillery in Cumbria.... it's a 10 year plan... but the introductory bottles should be worth many thousands at auction if I don't open them....

Donegal. Business plan from a few years ago has what was what everyone else was doing then - knock out gin and vodka for a few years while building stocks, sell casks at the start etc - but there are just too many others starting off right now so the market for that has been hugely split up.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Donegal. Business plan from a few years ago has what was what everyone else was doing then - knock out gin and vodka for a few years while building stocks, sell casks at the start etc - but there are just too many others starting off right now so the market for that has been hugely split up.
What was your base startup cost predictions. .... did you consider a partner arrangement to share the risk.

What was the source water quality and availability.

Sliabh seem to have stolen a March on you in the Donegal area.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
What was your base startup cost predictions. .... did you consider a partner arrangement to share the risk.

What was the source water quality and availability.

Sliabh seem to have stolen a March on you in the Donegal area.

I'd need to dig up the business plan again but €2.25m comes to memory as the costs for building conservation and extension works, distillation hardware, gas equipment installation (no mains on an island) etc. Can manage to milk 100% (matched 50% and 50% - they do allow matching this way) funding for the first number of staff from the County Enterprise Board and the Gaeltacht Enterprise Agency which will help offset the massively higher costs of setup. I've realised since then that our plans for marketing spend were far, far too small though from having seen what the new brands like Teeling have had to spend. Most of the other new startups are quoting €5m to the media as a nice round figure so either they're overestimating, or are far more pessimistic (or realistic!)

Water analysis was done by the local E.B. as they were looking for a craft brewery to open, its very soft so similar enough to Speyside I'd imagine. Availability is not a problem although getting it untreated would require about 400k of pipework and a licence from the water board however again the E.B. had this worked out as plausible. The brewery actually started trading, by buying contract product from Belgium, but went under before breaking ground let alone putting any kit in.

I was hoping to be the first island distillery in Ireland rather than the first in Donegal (which did have some in the distant past) but succesfully getting to market at all would be enough really!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I'd need to dig up the business plan again but €2.25m comes to memory as the costs for building conservation and extension works, distillation hardware, gas equipment installation (no mains on an island) etc. Can manage to milk 100% (matched 50% and 50% - they do allow matching this way) funding for the first number of staff from the County Enterprise Board and the Gaeltacht Enterprise Agency which will help offset the massively higher costs of setup. I've realised since then that our plans for marketing spend were far, far too small though from having seen what the new brands like Teeling have had to spend. Most of the other new startups are quoting €5m to the media as a nice round figure so either they're overestimating, or are far more pessimistic (or realistic!)

Water analysis was done by the local E.B. as they were looking for a craft brewery to open, its very soft so similar enough to Speyside I'd imagine. Availability is not a problem although getting it untreated would require about 400k of pipework and a licence from the water board however again the E.B. had this worked out as plausible. The brewery actually started trading, by buying contract product from Belgium, but went under before breaking ground let alone putting any kit in.

I was hoping to be the first island distillery in Ireland rather than the first in Donegal (which did have some in the distant past) but succesfully getting to market at all would be enough really!
Big bucks..... phew......might be a tough ask from a standing start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here