Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Singing / Chants

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Yesterday was a cracking atmosphere and in general I thought the team were given fantastic support (See thread by Liverpool fan).

One observation and I know I'm going to get slatted but here goes. Please can we stop all this baiting of opposition fans and just sing Albion songs. "Should have got to the library", "Youre supposed to be at home", "Small town near ..." sorry but it's all just a load of bollocks.

Please, please just sing / chant songs to get behind the players and not on the backs of opposition.

Right, I'll sit back now and prepare for a slatting!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Yesterday was a cracking atmosphere and in general I thought the team were given fantastic support (See thread by Liverpool fan).

One observation and I know I'm going to get slatted but here goes. Please can we stop all this baiting of opposition fans and just sing Albion songs. "Should have got to the library", "Youre supposed to be at home", "Small town near ..." sorry but it's all just a load of bollocks.

Please, please just sing / chant songs to get behind the players and not on the backs of opposition.

Right, I'll sit back now and prepare for a slatting!

Well said.......now prepare for 2 pages of "it's just harmless banter."

One positive was that I heard only one moan aimed at an Albion player when some goon gave Ashley Barnes abuse.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I always though a football supporter is about supporting your team foremost but also, due to its tribal nature, about putting down the opposing fans.

The best atmosphere is usually made by the latter if both sets are on top form, which only helps the former.

I do admit there are a few cringeworthy songs, but hey if you don't like a song you don't have to sing it, depsite what the NSC song police say

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
slatting? isnt that something to do with a fence?

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Mostly harmless banter, particulary if if its witty but there were two teenagers need me who kept chanting (on their own) "we pay your benefits"

Apart from the fact that I suspect they are still at school, it was tedious

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Arkwright, normally I would say let people sing what they like and just don't join in with what you don't want to join in with.................

and after careful reflection I have decided to stay with this viewpoint (though I am sympathetic to what you are saying)

The "we pay your benefits" and "Pompeys a shithole" songs at Pompey away were awesome, but this is probably because I live in Pompey that I enjoyed them so much.

It is banter 99% of the time. Some fans take this too far and carry on outside the ground, and that's what I am against more than anything.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Arkwright, normally I would say let people sing what they like and just don't join in with what you don't want to join in with.................

and after careful reflection I have decided to stay with this viewpoint (though I am sympathetic to what you are saying)

The "we pay your benefits" and "Pompeys a shithole" songs at Pompey away were awesome, but this is probably because I live in Pompey that I enjoyed them so much.

It is banter 99% of the time. Some fans take this too far and carry on outside the ground, and that's what I am against more than anything.
Many thanks for your sympathy, I know it's banter but I just think when the team need a 12th man this bollocks baiting really doesn't help when just a good old fashioned seeeagulls, albion or even Good Old Sussex By The Sea (at the slower pace) is really just what is required and everyone knows the words.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here