Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Singing & Atmosphere - suggestion to improve

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Lots have people have mentioned on NSC about how good the singing & atmosphere is away and how its lacking at home. I agree, I've seen/heard it myself this season especially. Of course the acostics of a large stand with a roof help (away) but how about this idea.

Could we have one or two blocks at home where you can sit/stand where you like - i.e. you must be in the right block (avoids over-crowding) but its first come first served for the row & seat number. I believe the benefit of this is that it will pull together ther vocal singers as a core and more noise will be genrated like it does at away games.

I think this is particularly relvent for season ticket holders too. The singing at the Milenium was an example, the vocal individuals were dotted all over the place so apart from a couple of AALL-BI-ONNS we didn't sing as much as we do at away games. When we get Falmer, we'll want all the season-ticket singers together too.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
been suggested before but can't remember the outcome of it

i like the idea myself :)

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Just came back from the Buffalo Bills game and they have the best way to have atmosphere. Play when it is 0 outside, everyone gets good and liqoured up so they can stand the weather and the atmosphere just seems to follow.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Well the singing block should do that really.

However the best place for the singing block would be in the middle of the south stand so songs can pass on in both directions.

That can't be done though because of all the season ticket sales in that area and they're renewed in the same place every season.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Perhaps we will see some improvement on Friday, what with Christmas approaching. Who's coming dressed as Santa?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The atmosphere always seems to improve when we have a terrible referee. :jester:

Jul 20, 2003
Yorkie said:
The atmosphere always seems to improve when we have a terrible referee. :jester:

Prosser every game then!

failing that, perhaps a few streakers

Jul 20, 2003
Shropshire Seagull said:

The singing at the Milenium was an example, the vocal individuals were dotted all over the place so apart from a couple of AALL-BI-ONNS we didn't sing as much as we do at away games.

...and look what happened when the subs came over and got the crowd wound up and noisy!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's a chicken and egg thing really. The team needs to inspire the crowd, which then inspires the team, which inspires the crowd some more - and so on. The only thing which gets the crowd going these days is the diabolical referees - and wierdly, we haven't had to many of those lately at Withdean.

In my opinion, the worst thing the club could have done was to designate 'singing areas' - especially at the side of the stands. It's an insult to categorise people as 'singers' and 'everyone else'. The crowd can generate its own noise and atmosphere, but there are only certain individuals who do those. To marginalise them is plain daft. You need these people in the middle of what's going on to lift other people around you.

Look at the evidence - go to an away game, and those who lead the singing are in the middle of everything, hence everyone joins in and we get a better atmosphere.

Not that difficult to work out really.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Richie Morris said:
I think having the singing section in Blocks A or B would be better because it would encourage banter with the away fans more.

Bugger off the view from A block would be shite!! I like to watch the game too you know!

Should be in D/E block.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Of course what this shows is that what we want , rarely comes to fruition.

At away games, the "singers" stand up, they can move about...allbeit from one foot to the other:lolol: , however at our stadium it is against the stadium rules to stand...simple as.

Look at the Villa Birmingham game yesterday...The Chelsea Arsenal game....alll away fans stand up! Its one of those things!

Of course the fact that the one way to get people singing and shouting is to score...and we are not capable of scoring more than 1 anymore anyway, so that argument is academic

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
It would be interesting to see the stats on the number of injuries caused by standing at away games. I bet it is no differnt to those people sitting. indeed I think it is safer to be standing when a goal goes in then it is to be seated and have everyone jump up at the same time.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
IF the new seats ever happen, the end behind the east goal could be unreserved seating. This would also encourage more sellouts.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Citrus said:
IF the new seats ever happen, the end behind the east goal could be unreserved seating. This would also encourage more sellouts.

New seats, I thought that had died a death, anyway we never sell out these days, the great unwashed dont want to see 1.0s or the team losing in an atmosphere that resembles a sponsored keep quietaphon.

If we ever get Falmer then we could get an atmosphere, most people who regualrly come to Withdean do it because its their duty, new people go in think £23 for this rubbish, I can get into Charlton for £25 and off they go.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Stinky Kat, I think people actually think £23 for that rubbish, I'll go to the pub, sod Charlton

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
If you lot want to improve the atmosphere, try singing. i sit with krispies and dover and they work bloody hard, often to no avail. g and f blocks take note.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Educating stewards not to have people ejected for standing up in C and/or D blocks and trying to get the crowd going might help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here