Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Since we signed Vicente its been going downhill..

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yes, the team has lost form since Vicente arrived but he isn't the reason.

Must admit that initially I thought 'we need a defender, not another midfielder?' and felt we were taking a bit of a punt on Vicente. I really wasn't sure if he would be up for a bit of Championship footie on the chilly Costa del Sussex after the glamour of La Liga. Of course it could still all go pear shaped if come February he gets a dose of Tevez-itis and loses interest but somehow I don't see that happening with the latin influences at the club.

My main concern was that the inclusion of Vicente might upset the work in progress with players like Nooney emerging as a real talent and Buckley, Hoskins, Harley and KLL yet to get a run in the team. I was also worried that having made such a headline grabbing signing that Gus would feel pressured to play Vicente ahead of more deserving alternatives. So far the injuries and lack of form among others has made it easier for Gus.

Vicente is now showing more consistent form as his fitness improves. I see him as our missing special player (a la Zola or Modric) around whom we should build a team. I do feel that Gus has not found the most effective formation to play around Vicente and would benefit from having a quality enforcer around him. We have too many 'steady Eddies' who are ok but don't quite have that edge to make the difference. That is where we have been outgunned in recent games and compounded by poor defensive errors across the team. I can see the transfer window being pivotal.

So for now it is still very much a case of work in progress but think Vicente is class and should only get better with the right support (including from the fans) and as the team learn his strengths and tune into his wavelength.

I do feel Vicente may become a 70 minute luxury player and therefore Gus does need to have a plan 'B' for the occasions when he gets taken off or is unavailable. Plus there will be some neanderthal teams out there gunning for Vicente who will give him a hard time. Maybe the plan B will be for Nooney.

I also think Vicente will offer a great chance for the youngsters at the Albion squad to learn the skills from someone who has played exciting and technically clever footie at the highest levels.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes, the team has lost form since Vicente arrived but he isn't the reason.

Must admit that initially I thought 'we need a defender, not another midfielder?' and felt we were taking a bit of a punt on Vicente. I really wasn't sure if he would be up for a bit of Championship footie on the chilly Costa del Sussex after the glamour of La Liga. Of course it could still all go pear shaped if come February he gets a dose of Tevez-itis and loses interest but somehow I don't see that happening with the latin influences at the club.

My main concern was that the inclusion of Vicente might upset the work in progress with players like Nooney emerging as a real talent and Buckley, Hoskins, Harley and KLL yet to get a run in the team. I was also worried that having made such a headline grabbing signing that Gus would feel pressured to play Vicente ahead of more deserving alternatives. So far the injuries and lack of form among others has made it easier for Gus.

Vicente is now showing more consistent form as his fitness improves. I see him as our missing special player (a la Zola or Modric) around whom we should build a team. I do feel that Gus has not found the most effective formation to play around Vicente and would benefit from having a quality enforcer around him. We have too many 'steady Eddies' who are ok but don't quite have that edge to make the difference. That is where we have been outgunned in recent games and compounded by poor defensive errors across the team. I can see the transfer window being pivotal.

So for now it is still very much a case of work in progress but think Vicente is class and should only get better with the right support (including from the fans) and as the team learn his strengths and tune into his wavelength.

I do feel Vicente may become a 70 minute luxury player and therefore Gus does need to have a plan 'B' for the occasions when he gets taken off or is unavailable. Plus there will be some neanderthal teams out there gunning for Vicente who will give him a hard time. Maybe the plan B will be for Nooney.

I also think Vicente will offer a great chance for the youngsters at the Albion squad to learn the skills from someone who has played exciting and technically clever footie at the highest levels.

This.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Go back to the winning side..

Ankergren

Calderon Dunk Greer PainterNoone must start tonight!

:fishing:

Or you could say we have been off form since the Leicester game for no other reason but the confidence levels are low and not blame anyone in particular?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Plus hes so over-rated, Noone has been our best player all year, but he doesnt even start cos of the spanish leg-end

Thats utter crap, lets look at things since Vicente signed for us

vs Bristol City - Noone started and was replaced by Lua Lua, Vicente wasn't in the 16
vs Leicester - Noone started and was replaced by Buckley, Vicente wasn't in the 16
vs Liverpool - Noone started and played 90 mins, Vicente came on in 60th min.
vs Leeds - Noone started and was replaced by Vicente at half time.
vs Palace - Noone started and was replaced by Lua Lua, Vicente came on in 69th min.
vs Hull - Noone was on the bench and came on in 70th min, Vicente started.

So thats once in 6 games that Noone hasn't started and Vicente has.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's very easy to jump on the OP, but surely there's at least a bit of sense in discussing the idea that since Vicente has arrived, form has dropped?

He's clearly a class act, but as already mentioned above, adding a better player to a squad does not always improve the performance of the team. Conversely, removing a great player can sometimes improve the overall performance of the team (Man U were a better functioning team when Ronaldo went to Madrid).

I believe a big percentage of the performance of the team comes from motivation, spirit and a collective belief - if (and it's a big if) Vicente's arrival has upset the team dynamic in any way (perceived higher salary, special treatment, ego etc etc) then it could be a problem.

Likewise, even if the rest of the squad like him and accept him and have no issues at all with him, maybe he's actually on a different (better) wavelength on the pitch?! He needs the players to make the right runs or passes to fit in with his style (and vice versa), otherwise play will be broken up.

I personally don't think there is an issue with him and once he gets used to the players around him (and they up their level a bit towards his), we'll start to reap the rewards.

But I do think it's a bit harsh to say someone's talking shit / know nothing about football when they suggest we return to the team that was so successful before...

(Though in hindsight, expecting reasoned opinions on NSC was perhaps a little unrealistic! :))

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's very easy to jump on the OP, but surely there's at least a bit of sense in discussing the idea that since Vicente has arrived, form has dropped?

Perhaps it is also very easy to jump on the blame culture band wagon and pinpoint one, maybe two, three or four individuals within the club, as has been the case on NSC of late. Too easy to find someone to throw the blame at. I think you'll find that the club would say they are in this collectively as opposed to finger pointing. Just a thought like.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't agree with the OP but do we want to build a team around a player that might not be here in January and certainly wont be here next August should he continue to be fit and playing well?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Perhaps it is also very easy to jump on the blame culture band wagon and pinpoint one, maybe two, three or four individuals within the club, as has been the case on NSC of late. Too easy to find someone to throw the blame at. I think you'll find that the club would say they are in this collectively as opposed to finger pointing. Just a thought like.

Absolutely.

I was neither jumping on the finger-pointing band wagon or throwing blame at anyone.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
:lol: Yes. EVERYONE knows that former builder Craig Noone with his 95 football league appearances is better than Vicente, with his 300-plus appearances for Valencia, 38 Spanish caps, Champions League runners up medal, two La Liga winners medals and of course the UEFA Cup winners medal.

I am ashamed by some Albion fans, I really am :nono:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:lol: Yes. EVERYONE knows that former builder Craig Noone with his 95 football league appearances is better than Vicente, with his 300-plus appearances for Valencia, 38 Spanish caps, Champions League runners up medal, two La Liga winners medals and of course the UEFA Cup winners medal.

I am ashamed by some Albion fans, I really am :nono:

This is more about NSC posters than Albion fans I think. Any supporter that has actually seen Vicente play already would not be posting this drivelling nonsense. Any Albion player that wasn't buzzing at the prospect of training and playing with a team mate of Vicente's stature and experience, is frankly not worth having in the squad at this level.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
The reason we're not winning has been stated before, at the start of the season we were playing the teams who mostly will finish in the bottom half of the table. Now it's the stronger sides and it's showing that some of our players are not up to it. Vicente is already playing at a level higher than some of his team, he makes a pass or a move off the ball and they don't react quickly enough. As for the midfield they're are too ligthweight and from what been seen sofar only Gus thinks Dicker and Sparrow can play together in the middle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here