Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

simple yes or no - Albion promotion next season?

will we win promotion next season?

• YES

Votes: 69 56.1%
  • NO

Votes: 54 43.9%

• Total voters

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Indeed. While I'm sure you're joking about Championship Manager, that point kind of stands. I think people assume that signing lots of players, even if they're undoubtedly good ones, results in instant success. There is clear proof that this is not the case in the shape of Micky's first spell here. He signed some quality players in his first season, and I'm sure he'll do so this summer, but it still took us a year to really hit the ground running under him. Although we were ok last season, I do believe we've got some MAJOR problems in our team that will stop us going up (no creative midfielder, no left-back, no attacking player to bring off the bench and change games), and it may well take Micky a year to sort all of those out.

Adams has watched many hours of videos of Brighton matches,so don't you think he knows the flaws in our team?Also White would have had a chat to him about weak areas.Don't forget Adams wants 6 players and we have only officially signed two.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Indeed. While I'm sure you're joking about Championship Manager, that point kind of stands. I think people assume that signing lots of players, even if they're undoubtedly good ones, results in instant success. There is clear proof that this is not the case in the shape of Micky's first spell here. He signed some quality players in his first season, and I'm sure he'll do so this summer, but it still took us a year to really hit the ground running under him. Although we were ok last season, I do believe we've got some MAJOR problems in our team that will stop us going up (no creative midfielder, no left-back, no attacking player to bring off the bench and change games), and it may well take Micky a year to sort all of those out.

I'd agree with the attacking midfielder and left back but Jakey proved last season that he can come off the bench and change a game so I have no worries about him as cover for our forwards.

Lynch should NEVER be used as left-back. He can't play in that position and is a liability. Remember Mansfield? El-Abd played well at left-back last year. Perhaps that's the answer there.

Attacking midfielder. This has to be our number one priority. In order for Murray and Forster to thrive they need to be up nearthe goal, not playing deep as a kind of surrogate midfielder or waiting for long balls from the back. Forster plays much better when the ball is played to his feet.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I like Robinson, but I'd consider him a winger rather than someone who can come on upfront and change games. If you think of the times last season where he came on and did well (I'm thinking Orient and Southend away) he was nearly always out wide. I'd have him and Cox fighting it out for the right-wing spot, but that means we still need a third striker to come in when Forster or Murray are out. We don't need to spend huge amounts of money, just find an average league one forward who's happy to sit on the bench a lot, and is capable of contributing 8 goals from there.

I'd agree with attacking midfield player being the top priority. Our lack of one always means our attacking play is slow and predictable, and there's never quality service into Forster or Murray (bar the odd decent Cox cross). We definitely need someone in this position, closely followed by a left-back - sorry, but I just do not see El-Abd being good enough in that position, I thought he was dire there last year, see Gillingham away. Then the back-up striker and I think we'll be looking good. I still worry it'll take such a new team too long to reach top gear though.

If Cox and Mcleod can supply the ammo for our frontline then why do you need an attacking midfielder? Not only that Cox plays better in the middle

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I like Robinson, but I'd consider him a winger rather than someone who can come on upfront and change games. If you think of the times last season where he came on and did well (I'm thinking Orient and Southend away) he was nearly always out wide. I'd have him and Cox fighting it out for the right-wing spot, but that means we still need a third striker to come in when Forster or Murray are out. We don't need to spend huge amounts of money, just find an average league one forward who's happy to sit on the bench a lot, and is capable of contributing 8 goals from there.

I'd agree with attacking midfield player being the top priority. Our lack of one always means our attacking play is slow and predictable, and there's never quality service into Forster or Murray (bar the odd decent Cox cross). We definitely need someone in this position, closely followed by a left-back - sorry, but I just do not see El-Abd being good enough in that position, I thought he was dire there last year, see Gillingham away. Then the back-up striker and I think we'll be looking good. I still worry it'll take such a new team too long to reach top gear though.

Yeah - you're right about Robinson. Seems to have found his niche as a winger. Ironic that 3 names that immediately come to mind about average forwards who can come on in the last 10 minutes are Savage, Elder and Revell.

Didn't go to the Gills game so can't comment but I seem to recall seeing him in that position a few times and him settling in. I just worry that having Adam as centre-back is an accident waiting to happen. He really seems to have concentration issues in that position. He is still young though and still learning.

(I much prefer this type of debate, CB. A truce, eh?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If Cox and Mcleod can supply the ammo for our frontline then why do you need an attacking midfielder? Not only that Cox plays better in the middle

Because we can't rely on our wingers all the time and Forster (who is our best player by a mile) plays his best football with ball to feet. We are just to predictable with Cox running down the wing, cut back and cross to Murray. We have to build this season's team around Forster and how he wants to play.

I don't believe Cox does play better in the middle. We tried that formation a few times last season and came unstuck every time.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yeah - you're right about Robinson. Seems to have found his niche as a winger. Ironic that 3 names that immediately come to mind about average forwards who can come on in the last 10 minutes are Savage, Elder and Revell.

Didn't go to the Gills game so can't comment but I seem to recall seeing him in that position a few times and him settling in. I just worry that having Adam as centre-back is an accident waiting to happen. He really seems to have concentration issues in that position. He is still young though and still learning.

(I much prefer this type of debate, CB. A truce, eh?

A truce is normally the better solution but why call one with posters that genuinely get on your tits?I'm not saying CB is one but some posters generally post shit,constantly being pessimistic etc etc.I certainly wouldn't offer a handshake to them when i know it wouldn't last.For an example,The TLO is a pointless soul who i wouldn't give a reprieve to,even know he has sent me pms trying to lick my backside.It's his attitude and views in his post i cannot stomac.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A truce is normally the better solution but why call one with posters that genuinely get on your tits?I'm not saying CB is one but some posters generally post shit,constantly being pessimistic etc etc.I certainly wouldn't offer a handshake to them when i know it wouldn't last.For an example,The TLO is a pointless soul who i wouldn't give a reprieve to,even know he has sent me pms trying to lick my backside.It's his attitude and views in his post i cannot stomac.

f***ing liar.

I was about to post something along the lines that I agree with some of your points on here about the playing squad, but seeing as you are blinded by irrational rage, hatred and stupidity, I don't think I'll bother. I'll just stick to considering you as disgusting scum with a perverse sense of indecency.

Everyone else, I'll get along with, thanks.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Because that poll thing earlier this week really brought home how silly it was all getting and life really is too short to bear grudges. Also, this thread proves that CB and I can have a conversation when neither of us are being arsey gits. I hope it will last. If it doesn't then at least I can say I tried.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
heart yes

heed no

Snap, would probably have gone for maybe, depends on all the usual factors...who we sign before the season gets underway, whether our players are really up for the challenge, how everyone else in the division performs in relation to ourselves, etc, etc...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
f***ing liar.

I was about to post something along the lines that I agree with some of your points on here about the playing squad, but seeing as you are blinded by irrational rage, hatred and stupidity, I don't think I'll bother. I'll just stick to considering you as disgusting scum with a perverse sense of indecency.

Everyone else, I'll get along with, thanks.

Personally I find both algie and TLO to be OK kind of fellows in real life. For sure, never going to agree with algie on politics or with TLO on music, but all Albion fans together innit :kiss:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Personally I find both algie and TLO to be OK kind of fellows in real life. For sure, never going to agree with algie on politics or with TLO on music, but all Albion fans together innit :kiss:

Careful. It's pretty much what I said to him, but he's so thick, he calls it 'licking his backside'. So expect an admission of unbridled anal passion from Algae coming your way any time soon.

And besides, I rather like The Undertones...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here