Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simple BBQ tips

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This one is absolutely brilliant. Use milk in your marinade to keep the meat moist. Basically make your marinade in the same way you would normally, whatever meat you are doing, then, about 2 hours before you plan to cook pour milk (skimmed, semi or whole) over the top of it and give it a stir. The milk is absorbed into the meat and then, as you BBQ over the hot coals, the milk keeps the meat superbly moist, no drying out at all. It leaves no taste at all, and you will be amazed at how moist chicken remains, let alone beef, lamb etc.

Even If you have a nightmare cooking a steak or a chop without it drying out badly, then just marinade the meat in some milk alone for an hour or so before you plan to cook, super moist meat.

Seriously, this is a superb tip, told to me by a chef in a hotel in Kyrenia, I use it all the time, although not on tonight's butterflied leg of lamb,that will be based with home made citrus oil during cooking, but that's another story.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Buy some large mushrooms.
Cut the stalk out with a large spoon.
Fill with grated cheese and mixed herbs.
Place on a square of tin foil scrunching the 4 corners together to fully wrap the mushroom.
Leave on BBQ for 15 mins until cheese is melted and mushroom is cooked.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Use an atomiser To keep the flames to a minimum. When fat spits on the charcoal the flames go mental and burn the food. Obviously this useful tip does not apply to gas bbqs, just turn them down!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Prepare well in advance. Marinade the meat at least 6 hours in advance, and use olive oil as part of the marinade, helps with stopping the meat sticking to the grill (especially chicken).

Ignore the muppets who think that cooking on gas isn't a proper barbeque.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
narly101;4934914 Ignore the muppets who think that cooking on gas isn't a proper barbeque.[/QUOTE said:
It isn't. It is like bringing your normal cooker outside. The food doesn't even get the same taste because it is not cooked over charcoal. Gas barbeques are a cop out. They are for people who cannot cook on a proper barbeque.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Very simple barbeque sauce recipe

2 parts Tomato ketchup
1 part golden syrup
1 part soy sauce
1 part brown sugar

Then add....chilli, garlic, lime juice, ginger or whatever you want.

Cut a fresh pineapple from top to bottom...each slice about an inch square. Thread onto a skewer. Cover in brown sugar of some description and barbeque till the sugar has melted into the pineapple. Serve with a melted chocolate and malibu dipping sauce !!!

Brush chicken drumsticks with orange marmalade throughout cooking

Get some coconut yoghurt (Rachels is the one i use) and mix with pataks curry paste or tandori powder. Add diced chicken breast and thread onto skewer after marinading for a few hours. You could just do chicken or add slices of peppers and red onion, whole cherry tomatoes, chunks of pineapple, chunks of courgette or whatever you want really.

sprinkle Pork chops, belly slices or loins with chinese five spice

Brush lamb with mint jelly during cooking

Quagmire

Jul 29, 2011
Quaghog, Rhode Island
Cut a slice through a banana place a row of chocolate buttons in said opening, then wrap in silver foil place directly on the coals until buttons have melted. Pudding sorted.

We do that, but with squares of Dairy Milk rather then chocolate buttons!

It works brilliantly :thumbsup:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It isn't. It is like bringing your normal cooker outside. The food doesn't even get the same taste because it is not cooked over charcoal. Gas barbeques are a cop out. They are for people who cannot cook on a proper barbeque.

Rubbish I can cook on a coal barbecue but when I get home from work its much easier to turn on the gas barbecue cook some meat, knock up some salad and have dinner ready in 15 minutes - it takes longer than than to get the coals to the right cooking condition. Also when you cook fish indoor it stinks the hosue out, not true when cooked outside.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Stick a funnel in a melon and fill with a bottle spirit of your choice until all liquid is absorbed... Delicious and sooooo refreshing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here