Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Hughes

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
safe to assume this bloke won't win

Liberal Democrat leadership contender Simon Hughes has revealed having had homosexual relationships.
In an interview in the Sun newspaper, the 54-year-old said that his comments would not affect his leadership bid.

"I am perfectly willing to say I have had both homosexual and heterosexual relationships in the past," the Southwark and Bermondsey MP said.

Mark Oaten this month quit the Lib Dem front bench after his affair with a male prostitute was revealed.

Mr Oaten had already pulled out of the leadership race saying he did not have enough support among MPs.

I have always maintained that someone's sexual orientation should not be a barrier to public life in modern Britain

Simon Hughes

Mr Hughes recently denied he was gay, saying he had "often" thought about getting married but had not been "as successful as I would have liked".

Asked by the Independent whether he was gay, he replied: "No, I'm not. But it absolutely should not matter if I was."

He told the Sun it had been a mistake to be "defensive" on the issue.

Appeal for privacy

In a statement he said: "I believe that people have a right to a private life, providing that their private life does not impinge upon their public responsibilities.

"I have always maintained that someone's sexual orientation should not be a barrier to public life in modern Britain.

"I strongly believe that people should have a right to personal privacy.

"I do not believe that anything that I have done has impinged upon my capacity to serve my constituents or fulfil any of the roles that I have sought, undertaken or am seeking for the future."

By-election battle

Mr Hughes was elected to Parliament in 1983 in a bitter by-election battle in Bermondsey against gay Labour candidate Peter Tatchell.

In one election leaflet, the Liberals presented him as the "straight choice" and Mr Hughes this month said he hoped there would never be a campaign of that type again.

He told BBC Newsnight: "I have never been comfortable about the whole of that campaign, as Peter knows, and I said that to him in the past... Where there were things that were inappropriate or wrong, I apologise for that."

'Non story'

Mr Hughes faces deputy leader Sir Menzies Campbell and Treasury spokesman Chris Huhne in the leadership election.

Malcolm Bruce, one of the MPs backing Sir Menzies, said he believed the contest would be fought on political, not personal, issues.

"At the end of the day Simon is a single person and to some extent his relationships and his private life are a matter for him," Mr Bruce told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Fellow MP Lembit Opik said there could not be a less interesting story and Mr Hughes had merely admitted something that many people had suspected.

Mr Opik said he could understand why Mr Hughes had previously not wanted to answer questions about his sexuality.

Trevor Kavanagh, associate editor of The Sun, said Mr Hughes had decided to speak about his sexuality after being confronted with "pretty incontrovertible" evidence that he had phoned a gay chat line.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
No surprise there then! We all know that the Liberal Party are a bunch of stiking Queers! :censored:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He a fantastic local MP though.

I suspect he's probably a bit radical for the party.

Listening on the radio yesterday, supporters behind Ming are readying themselves to get into bed with the tories in the event of a hung parliament.

I wasn't sure if they were alluding to another scandel.

E

enigma

3gulls said:
No surprise there then! We all know that the Liberal Party are a bunch of stiking Queers! :censored:

Who cares whether they're gay or not?

Dandyman

In London village.
clapham_gull said:
He a fantastic local MP though.

I suspect he's probably a bit radical for the party.

Listening on the radio yesterday, supporters behind Ming are readying themselves to get into bed with the tories in the event of a hung parliament.

I wasn't sure if they were alluding to another scandel.

:lolol: Ming and Davie Boy - does not bare thinking about.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are gays in all political parties. The big question is whether it is acceptable for a party leader to be gay.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
3gulls said:

What a stunning political insight. Any more profound words of wisdom?

I remember his campaign againgst Tatchell, it was disgusting, there were lots of anti-gay statements, including how can a gay man represent a working class area. It was known then that Hughes was gay, his denayal at the same time his method used to get elected was hypocritacal beyond belief.

May this man's career rot away.:angry:

Pavilionaire said:
There are gays in all political parties. The big question is whether it is acceptable for a party leader to be gay.
A bigger question maybe whether it is right for a gay MP to win a party leadership contest, when he only got to be an MP in the first place by conducting a virulent anti-gay campaign against his main opponent?

http://85.234.132.19/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66798

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
LB, that was 22 years ago. Wrong yes, but time to move on (Tatchell is an odious obnoxious man anyway).

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
London Calling said:
I remember his campaign againgst Tatchell, it was disgusting, there were lots of anti-gay statements...

Are you taking the piss? Tatchell is a stinking little left-wing faggot who should be locked-up! :censored:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Pavilionaire said:
Is it a Big Question -- for whom? And why?
Chris Smith, Peter Mandelson, Nick Brown and Alan Duncan have all achieved and held high office while being openly gay. It's this unrealistic demand for our politicians to be supposedly squeaky-clean -- i.e. totally unlike the people that vote for them- that puts dangerous deadheads like George W Bush in charge of a country. You'd hope that at least a Brighton message board would be more enlightened...

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Whole load of hypocrisy from some people on here, whose favourite fantasy probably involves at least two bisexual women.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here