Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Sim only phone contracts

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Currently with EE - contract ends soon. Sim only contracts are around £20 plus with EE even for 24month and 5gb, but looking on compare websites it seems I could go to say O2 and get a 12month contract with 25gb data for £8. What's the catch, or are EE just stupidly expensive!?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got 3 in total. A '3' UK one which I really should stop but it's good for the US. Not sure it's 150 quid a year good for the US though. My day-to-day Vodafone German one which is 9.99 euros a month and my new Vodafone Black which is 99 a month, unilimited, and only used if my home internet goes down.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Any other giffaff users find the data service has gone totally tits up in recent weeks? Both my wife and use it and the service had been basically unusable for the past 6 weeks or so
Don't know where you're based but it's been fine for me both here in BN3 and in France.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
As long as your Three reception is good since they use that Smarty is a no brainer. My sim only plan is a 30 day rolling contract for 60gb of data for £10 a month. The usual rate is 30gb but they are always doing double data offers. I've had zero issues and their app is simple to use. The only issue some people might not like is that their only support is via Live Chat.
I left EE for Smarty. As others have said, being a 30 day rolling contract makes it a no brainer as you can try it and see how you get on at the places you're likely to need a signal.

Re the Live Chat ... I've used it a couple of times and actually been quite impressed. Pretty quick and have sorted the issue I had. Better than calling in my opinion when you sometimes have to press 1 then 2 then 3 etc and listen to crap music before speaking with someone.

I've also got a cheap (£5/m) data only SIM for my iPad. Once you've got a second SIM you get another 10% off both deals :D

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Don't know where you're based but it's been fine for me both here in BN3 and in France.
In central Hove, where it's been shite, and now down in Cornwall for a few days and it's been shite here in St Ives and shite all the way down. Was also shite while I was in Greece a month or so a go. Generally been shite everywhere. If I put my Greek SIM Card in I get 5G pretty much everywhere so seems very much a giff gaff being shite problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here