Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Silence to mark 7/7

Elms

May 11, 2004
Horsham
zefarelly said:
good post.

Carry on regardless, if we continue to stop for 2 minutes everytime anyone farts or croaks the whole fuucking country will grind to a permanent halt in another few years

What a terrible thing to say, why don't you tell that to someone who lost a loved one last July...they might just have a slightly different view. The idea is to pay our respects to those who died, not how they died.

Just don't join in if you feel that strongly about it.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
f*** this whinney victim culture, we should be looking for payback.

elms, shit happens, grow the f*** up and learn to deal with it.

Elms

May 11, 2004
Horsham
I have a different opinion to you so I need to grow the f*** up...cracking argument that, you muppet.
Shall we cancel remembrance day while we're at it, shit happens after all.

E

enigma

I can see both arguments, but ultimately I think some sort of silence is an important gesture, and helps remind people what happened that day.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Elms said:
Shall we cancel remembrance day while we're at it, shit happens after all.
We should use remembrance day as the focus for ALL of these sort of things, not just have another day where we have a silence each time something like this happens. As Easy says, this just serves to keep the terrorists in the public eye.

Also, why just to remember the people that were killed on that day? What about the people that were killed when the Grand was bombed in Brighton? Or doesn't that count because it was too long ago? The 35 people killed in the train crash at Clapham a few years ago?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Its appropriate for the friends and families of the victims to remember that day in their own way, but I'm just not comfortable about making a National event out of it. We HAD a two minute silence the following week (if memory serves). If we decide to start commemorating terrorist atrocities on an annual basis, then no matter how well meaning the thoughts behind it, it DOES only serve to perpetuate and draw attention to what it is the terrorists "achieved" that day for whatever twisted cause they were doing it for. And creating a high-profile lasting memory of what they did that day is EXACTLY what these people want.

Well said that man. Spot on.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I paid my respects at Kings Cross at the time and also to the poor innocent bloke who was shot just up the road from me.

( I feel a bit more connected to the latter since I was in the tube station at the time, but I didn't see anything )

Anyway - whilst I'm happy to remember the people that died I don't want to be particular reminded of that day or the days after.

So no with the minutes silence.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Elms said:
What a terrible thing to say, why don't you tell that to someone who lost a loved one last July...they might just have a slightly different view. The idea is to pay our respects to those who died, not how they died.

Just don't join in if you feel that strongly about it.
Surely that's even worse? That'll be like having a two-minute's silence at a match for some FA blazer and half the crowd respecting it and half chatting amongst themselves.

Zef's got it right, we can't go one having silences and rememberances on every anniversary of every tragedy. I recall myself (and some others) getting a bit of stick on here because we said we had no intention of joining in with the silence for the Tsunami victims. (Anyone remember that? Big news story the Christmas before last.) If anything the right time to remember the 7/7 victims is on Rememberance Sunday as they are after all war deaths.

On a personal level I shall be having two minute's silence at 20:03 on the 8th July as it will be exactly a year since my Dad died. I don't expect anyone else to join in on the grounds that a) no one on here knew him and b) life goes on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here