Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shuttle Launch

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
How far away? Did you just park at the side of the road or book into a Motel with a view of the launch? Or is there an official viewing gallery? Always fancied doing that.

First time from a motel with a launch view in Titusville. Second time on site with a Press Pass (Guest) from a nice gentleman I met on the first occasion. 1st viewing about 7 miles from launch pad (still loud!) 2nd viewing 3.5 mile from launch pad (very loud!) Worth doing if you time it right. but there is only one more shuttle launch after today (July - Atlantis).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
First time from a motel with a launch view in Titusville. Second time on site with a Press Pass (Guest) from a nice gentleman I met on the first occasion. 1st viewing about 7 miles from launch pad (still loud!) 2nd viewing 3.5 mile from launch pad (very loud!) Worth doing if you time it right. but there is only one more shuttle launch after today (July - Atlantis).

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just a follow up, I found this on YouTube. The sound is immense from about 35 seconds (it's also from the Press Site) I remember on the day the host said to me the initial rumble microwaves your intestines then the crackling waves liquidises your ear drums! He wasn't kidding!

One helluva din to be sure! :lol:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
To give you an idea of how fast this thing is, it takes 20 minutes from lift off to reach Central Europe.

Also if the shuttle doesn't launch today by 13:01:29 GMT then it will have to be re-scheduled. The reason for this 5 minute window is that it enables the shuttle to catch up and dock with the Space Station in two days time. Just one second late and the shuttle will always be playing catch up, just like Southampton!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here