Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shrewsbury Vs Brighton - the OFFICIAL thread

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Smart Mart said:
All the things the Millwall fans warned about McGhee, his tinkering, his tactical errors, and his strange substitutions seem to be coming home to roost, big time.

They survived the Championship with him which is more than they've doing now.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
5 Chaigneau - Always difficult on a debut, kicking looked okay, but did not command his area - not sure if communication was an issue - didn't hear him call for anything - sometimes punched, sometimes flapped and missed, twice caught. - we must get Blayney
6 El-Abd - Looked a bit rusty, badly caught out of position once which led to Nicolas booking (prof foul)
6 Butters - good positional sense and outstanding in the air, but his lack of pace on the ground exposed him several times (inc 2 of the goals)
8 McShane - rock steady, always looking to play the ball out of defence via feet - hopeless as a makeshift centre-forward in the last 5 mins (he ain't a Virgo)
7 Reid - played at LB and was okay - BUT he is a midfielder and its expecting too much for him to play at LB and be match perfect
7 Carole - put in some quality crosses - but never really took on defenders - I see promise
7 Nicolas - huffed and puffed around the midfield, did equally as well as Oatway probably would have done - did not look match sharp
7 Hammond - worked hard and covered a lot of grass
8 Knight - centre-midfield might not be his best position but he gave a reasonable account of himself
9 McCammon - I think Trolley really tried hard - in won every long ball in the first half and was a thorn - his first touch to feet lets him down - great goal, well deserved.
6 Kazim-Richards - saw nothing here that looked particularly promising - he needs to find the net and fast (bit like Leon 12 months ago - great expectation but nought to show)

Subs:
7 Jarrett - came on after 68 mins and then was subbed 19 mins later - didn't appear to be injured - while on he looked positive in his approach play and worked hard - his final pass was always a let-down - perhaps replaced to defend our 2-1 lead (badly backfired tactic)
7 Robinson - ran around a lot and his pace did give the Shrews some problems - but not the menace I was expecting
4 Carpenter - aweful - just could not get into the game - he's a player I would look to get hold of a game like this by the scruff of the neck but it took him 10 mins to get his first real touch - very conspicious by his absence (worrying)

Subs Not Used: Hart, Martin.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Apparently, Preston had a stinker. But they could do everything but score. Should have had ten according to their supporters. This seems a bit ominous. At the current rate, we would lucky to get ten goals before Christmas.

Turkey said:
Fatboy called me to say McCammon didnt clap fans at end and that theyre not allowed out, he thinks someones been run over so theyre not allowed.

We know Fatboy hates McCammon though, so I'll take that with some scepticism. So boringly predictable that the "Trolley" idiots have to get in a dig about a player who scored one goal and set up the other tonight :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Yorkie said:
They survived the Championship with him which is more than they've doing now.

It's funny how all this Millwall fan rubbish is always dragged out whenever we lose. No one was mentioning it last season when McGhee did a miracle in keeping us up on the budget he had. Utter hypocrisy is the explanation.

Hmm, then after a season of miracle-working, it appears we haven't advanced.
All this stuff about keeping Millwall in the division means very little - we have to see how his professional experience can get a side like Brighton 2005/6 working as a team, playing above themselves, scoring goals with the players he's been bringing in.

No condemnation yet, but the glaring midfield issue hasn't been addressed at all, has it?

imo, we have done 'miracles' in the past purely due to some amazingly brilliant goalkeeping from a certain former Dutch marine. Results without his presence can only bare that out.
I'm getting ready to go sing up at his window. Anyone want to form a choir?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The keeper was at fault for the first goal.

Mark McCammon is not going to endear himself to the fans by walking straight off at the end when people have made the effort to go that far. He didn't win enough in the air today.

McShane was quality again, and almost scored at the end.

Hopefully Turienzo will be fit again soon, as Kazim-Richards needs a rest. McCammon may well start on Saturday.

Leon Knight was our best player IMO.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Fatboy
What was all that stuff about someone got runover?

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Uncle C said:
Fatboy
What was all that stuff about someone got runover?

Apparently someone did get run over near the ground but dont have anymore details :(

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i thought mccammon did ok tonight - good goal and he also set jakes up. he showed that he still has that touch of a rapist though, and didn't look as sharp as some of the other players, but i think that is more down to a lack of games than anything else - but overal he did ok - more than kazim richards did anyway

when jake came on we looked so much better, as he ran at people and created, and his goal was well taken. carole had a good game, and leon was superb again. the midfield kept giving the ball away again tonight, even without charlie and chippy in their. jarrett came on and was his usual self, ran at people, but didn't really have an end product

defensively we were poor tonight, mcshane did well but the 2 full backs didn't help out at all, the fact most of shrewsburys attacks came down the wings showed this up. and i don't think it was any coincidence that carpoenter came on, and within 5 minutes we had conceeded 2 goals

Salopstu

Aug 24, 2005
"According to the BBC website:

Possession:
Shrewsbury 36%
Brighton 64%

What do we have to do to win a game, Jesus!!!"

Score more goals than the team you're playing against :dunce:

Salopstu

Aug 24, 2005
"The point is, we're losing to SHREWSBURY. They're awful and we can't get a result against them."

Away from the little digs that you may get from us Shrews - Formerly known as Dez you obviously weren't there last night so ask some of your die hard fans who made the trip up to Salop if we were awful.

I dont suppose you were there the last time we played you when we beat you 3 nil were you?? Not bad for an "awful" side is it :dunce:

Face it - you were beaten by a better team on the night.
Yes the ref was rubbish but sometimes the decisions go for you and sometimes they go against but in the end its the players who have to score the goals and not rely on the ref awarding penalties!

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Salopstu said:
Yes the ref was rubbish but sometimes the decisions go for you and sometimes they go against but in the end its the players who have to score the goals and not rely on the ref awarding penalties!
Trouble is most of us cant remember the last time we got a dodgy decision in our favour.

Salopstu

Aug 24, 2005
Scarface - i've got to agree with you. Its been the same at the Meadow all last season and this one so far. They always say it works itself out over the matchs - if thats right both our teams should get promoted on penalties alone this season!

Realy enjoyed the game last night ( not just cos we won ) but because we have looked pretty poor up to now and it gave us Shrews fans a bit of a boost.

Glad you lot are sticking up there in the dizzy heights of the championship - had a great time when we played you lot last game of the season when you got promoted out of our league!

Good luck in the league and the other cups (as long as we don't get drawn together again)!!

Yoda

English & European
Salopstu said:
Good luck in the league and the other cups (as long as we don't get drawn together again)!!

Why's that? Nothing to do with the fact that THAT was the last time we played you, and not the end of the season we won the league, in the FA cup and we won?? ;)

Salopstu

Aug 24, 2005
Please re-read my post i said "last game of the season" not last time we played you!! ;)

I remember the FA cup match as well!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
The announcement that the road was closed due to a serious accident was what the whole team was listening to when they scored :angry:

Right, ratings:

3 Chaigneau - He is a SHOCKER. Does he ever dive to make a save? stands still everytime! Dropped a few catches too.

5 El-Abd - Not a right back. Completely outclassed by their left sided player.

6 Butters - No pace, got caught out a few times.

8 McShane - Another solid game.

7 Reid - Average

7 Carole - Some very good passes, but why doesnt he take anyone on?

7 Nicolas - A bit more class than Oatway

7 Hammond - Put in a lot of effort, looked tired at times.

8 Knight - CM? What is going on there i do not know. He needs to be out on the left so Hammond can play where he belongs.

8 McCammon - Good goal. Worked very hard, and won a few headers, but he still is poor when the ball is at his feet.

5 Kazim-Richards - Another poor game for him. Tries to do something special when he should stick to the simple stuff.

Subs:

7 Jarrett - Took on players, looked sharp but poor distribution

7 Robinson - Should have had two clear penalties, looked good.

4 Carpenter - terrible. looks way too slow.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Salopstu said:

Face it - you were beaten by a better team on the night.

Well Robinson would have had an open goal for the first one so he would have scored, and the other he would have had a clear shot at goal from about 7 yards out. Terrible ref.

We were very comfortable until the 89th minute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here