Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we have a "Bassford Stand" at Falmer?

Should we have "The Bassford Stand" at Falmer

• YES - it would be a fitting tribute

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • NO - he wouldn't want us to

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • NO - we must sell the naming rights to all stands. We need the cash

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • I don't understand.

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Without wishing to embarrass Lord B, I think the fantastic work done by our very own Ed Bassford cannot be overstated.

Throughout this whole process this man has been on here deciphering the legal jargon that has accompanied step after step of this process. He's translated all this gumph into language we can all undestand, into laymans terms, so that we have been able to keep track of the issues and exactly what they mean.

He's not only done this service on here, but also on the official website, the programme, and anywhere where Albion fans want to read a summary in a manner we can all understand.

The work that he's put in for The Seagull Party, is the absolute icing on the cake. It's a great idea, but for me it's the esteemed Lord B, that makes it the vehicle that it is. Those who oppose us, who oppose football, would love to paint an image of us being a mob of uncoth roughians, who would bring violence, and vandalism to the streets of a peaceful little village, and attack their ducks. Whereas this is an emotive issue for us all, and we could all be driven mad to the extent of raising our voices and pandering to the image our opponents would have of us, Ed Bassford couldn't be more removed from that.

His gentle demeanour, intelligence, and incredible depth of knowledge over this whole saga, seems to completely disarm our opponents when faced with him - certainly if Sunday "Politics Show" is anything to go by. While Mr Neighbour was floundering around trying to make his points, Ed has an aura about him, that just oozes belief that he has the FACTS, and it leaves the audience with the view that this wise old sage really knows his stuff.

Martin Perry and Dick Knight have been absolutely superb throughout this process, but for me Ed Bassford has been a vital part of the team that WILL get us to Falmer. He has portrayed an image about our campaign that is impossible to artificially create.

When we move into Falmer, I think we should honour him and his work by naming one of the stands "The Bassford Stand."

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Too right - plus the same for Mssrs Samrah and Knight.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Only if we can have toilet blocks named "Bellotti", "Baker", and "DeVecchi".

Would Ed want a stand named after him? Perhaps a free lifetime season ticket from the club would be a better gesture?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Yes we should.

But who the hell is going to sit in the "Virgin Stand"? Apart from Aids.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Everest said:
Yes we should.

But who the hell is going to sit in the "Virgin Stand"? Apart from Aids.

We would stand more chance naming a stand "AIDS" and asking for virgins to sit in it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
HampshireSeagulls said:
We would stand more chance naming a stand "AIDS" and asking for virgins to sit in it.
Hmm, how delightful.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
North - Eaton
East - Bassford
South - Samrah
West - Knight

Hospitality - Perry

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I saw Ed completely destroy LDC, De Vecchi and her poddle Commin in December 2005, the way he tore their argument to pieces was something I will never forget, they were owned by Ed and they knew it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
COURSE there should be a Bassford Stand. With nice little hairy seats as well. :clap:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
No, sorry.

He's done a brilliant job, without question, but so have many, many, many others over the last decade.

I could give you a huge list of unsung heroes who have worked tirelessly, in many different capacities, for this club.

If we have to name stands, which we should, after club heroes this would be my list:

Charlie Webb: Undoubted legend, player and manager.
Dick Knight: Club saviour
Paul Samrah: Discovered the clause that effectively saved the club. Absolute hero who has done so much work.
The Peter Ward North Stand: It's what the fans would want.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
How much would it cost to actually have pictures of Bellotti, Archer, Baker and DeVechi faces on the urinals? Not to mention the possibility of printed toilet roll?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I think most Albion fans have gone way beyond the call of duty since 1994, so you can't go naming stands after individuals. Having (briefly) been part of the FFA team, though, I think all of them should get season tickets for life once Falmer is built.

Richard3.jpg

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I may get flamed for this, but I wouldn't necessarily name all the stands after people involved.

Dick Knight has been a visionary Chairman, super determined to get this done.

Martin Perry the same, and with his construction background he's been vital.

Paul Samrah is tremendous, his work along with Paul Whelch to uncover what The Dark Side were doing to our club all those years ago undoubtedly served as step one to our salvation.

Robert Eaton, of course he should have some sort of memorial at the ground, that would be only fitting.

But personally, and it's only my personal opinion, Ed Bassford has been an unbelievable asset to this club and the whole process. The sort of person you could not find, or recruit into the process. There are determined chairmen about, men with construction industry backgrounds, and accounts you can get to look into company affairs, but where would you find an Ed Bassford. The others are great, but to name all the stands after people smacks too much of group back-slapping.

For me Ed stands out. I wouldn't have a problem with any of the others getting a stand, but if I was told we had sold the naming rights to three stands, then The Bassford Stand should be the fourth in my eyes.

Knight and Perry will always be in our folklore, but this would cement Ed's place up there as well.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I voted no because we need the money that the naming rights would bring in. But, if he has a few million to spare...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here