Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Turkey join the EU

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I have no problem with Turkey being in the EU. What's more, I think they should go the whole way and join the Euro too. The real question is should we still be in it?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
NO. Turkey isn't in anyway european and should not be allowed to join. Well done Austria, the only country with any guts to stand up to the pressure of other nations politicians. Most of the european public do not want Turkey to join. The Austrians are quite clearly worried that the problems in Germany with Turkish migrant workers will spill over to them and us if Turkey join. Jack Straws argument that it will show a goodwill gesture to the Middle East, doesn't count for much. Do we really need to bend over backwards for the Muslim world? Don't we do that enough already? The day a Christian Church goes up in a country like Saudi Arabia, is the day when I start to take the Middle East seriously. The EU is already undemocratic and Turkey Joining is not to the benefit of any other EU country, but since when did that make any difference or infact the will of the EU people.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Jim D said:
I have no problem with Turkey being in the EU. What's more, I think they should go the whole way and join the Euro too. The real question is should we still be in it?

hope not !

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Pavilionaire said:
The world of politics is constantly changing, and the West has to build better bridges with the Middle East.

The Middle East should sort itself out and build bridges with the west. By showing that backward ways of 700 years ago must be left firmly in the past and should not be the forefront of their politics or way of life.

Last edited:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Tricky one - but on balance no.

I'd like to see them get 'favoured nation' status with the EU in terms of trade, but all the time their common law and basic human rights fall short of western European standards, they should remain out.

"I know both Turkey and Morocco well and Turkey is a hell of a lot closer to Europe."

Very close infact down to yards and the width of Turkish and Greek gunboats in places, however, as other posts highlight, that is not people's general perception. And the mass of Turkish population is no closer to real Europe than say Morocco.

Personally.I think the so called European desire to become a super state is going too far with Turkey. I fail to see any new benefits from the move, than already exist with the existing economic relationship we already have. The financial drain on top of supporting the ex-communist states will also be a massive drain. Similar to the East German drain on the former West Germany.

Personally, I have no problem with the UK developing closer ties with Turkey, we have a number of Turkish friends, most of our disposable income that is spent locally go into Kurdish and Turkish businesses.

LC

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the whole 'bog paper in little plastic bin' situation is if anything worse in Turkey.

At least if they got in an EU Commissioner might address the real scandal that is the price of a Burger King at Dalaman airport. Someone's trousering a fortune. £13.50 for one Whopper meal and onion rings last week.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Tom Hark said:
Turkey should be given Greece's place. Greece should only be allowed to re-enter the EU when they've ripped up and replaced the entire country's plumbing system so that bog-paper doesn't have to go in a little pedal-bin placed next to the vitreous china. That is just so WRONG :angry:

Good holiday Tom? :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes beyond any shadow of doubt.

However their gross national product is based on fake goods so they might need to mend their ways and have copyright laws :lolol: :lolol:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Beach Hut said:
Yes beyond any shadow of doubt.

However their gross national product is based on fake goods so they might need to mend their ways and have copyright laws :lolol: :lolol:

The armada of Gucci/Prada copyright enforcers have wrought havoc in Hisaronu this year, a couple of shops have closed through heavy 'faking' fines.

And the gloriously crass 'McDowells', with a big yellow M curiously reminiscent of a certain hamburger chain, has also been closed down.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tooting Gull said:
The armada of Gucci/Prada copyright enforcers have wrought havoc in Hisaronu this year, a couple of shops have closed through heavy 'faking' fines.

And the gloriously crass 'McDowells', with a big yellow M curiously reminiscent of a certain hamburger chain, has also been closed down.

Well it is certainly going strong in Marmaris - I just love the plain cheek of it, marvellous scenes :clap2: :clap2:

Cheaper than Asda Jimmy :lolol:

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Dougal said:
Having a country with 50% muslim population in the EU , surely this could play into extremists hands and make traveling to and from Britain/Europe to easy.

Shows you know bollox.It has a muslim population of 90% if not slightly higher

Last edited:

Europe changed for ever last night after Britain secured agreement from all 25 EU nations to begin membership talks with Turkey.

The deal, which followed a sleepless night and two days of rows, paves the way for Turkey, a nation of 70 million Muslims, to join what has hitherto been a Christian club.

Exhausted: Jack Straw after the gruelling negotiations
Looking exhausted, Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, said: "This is a truly historic day for Europe. This has been a pretty gruelling 30 hours of negotiation."The entry of such a large Muslim state was "proof that we can live, work and prosper together".

Croatia will also begin entry talks after objections to its record on hunting war criminals were dropped.

During a day of intrigue and brinkmanship, Turkey had turned the tables on the EU and forced Mr Straw and other foreign ministers to wait anxiously at the summit in Luxembourg for final word on whether Ankara would accept the deal on offer.

A text setting out terms and conditions was finally sent to Ankara at 2.30pm London time, only an hour and a half before the formal deadline for Turkey to begin talks.

As darkness fell, Abdullah Gul, the Turkish foreign minister, announced: "Agreement has been reached and insh'Allah [Allah willing] we are heading for Luxembourg. Turkey has embarked on a new era." Mr Gul arrived in Luxembourg after midnight and went straight to a ceremony marking the beginning of talks over Turkish membership.

After 42 years of waiting, Turkey now faces years of talks in which every aspect of politics, human rights and civil liberties will be scrutinised by a sceptical EU. The process is due to end in 2014. Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey's prime minister, had told the EU that it had the choice between embracing his nation and becoming a truly global power or admitting it was merely a "Christian club".

It emerged that Condoleezza Rice, the American secretary of state, had called Mr Erdogan to stop Turkey from giving up. Austria, where 80 per cent of voters are against Turkish entry, gave up almost all of its demands after standing alone in opposition.

Ursula Plassnik, its foreign minister, won only a form of words saying that entry would depend on the EU's ability to "absorb" new nations.

Austria's climbdown was made more palatable by good news for its close ally and neighbour Croatia, whose own EU membership talks were effectively unfrozen by a formal United Nations report that its government was "fully co-operating" in the hunt for indicted war criminals from the Yugoslav civil war.

In a major surprise the United Nations chief war crimes prosecutor, Carla del Ponte, reversed her earlier negative assessment on Croatia by saying that it was now "doing everything it could to locate and arrest" the indicted war criminal Gen Ante Gotovina.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here