• No

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Obviously (for those who know me) I'm not exactly a neutral on this debate.

But I think if you go along the road of capital punishment for only those who kill police officers (or kill children, for argument's sake), you run the risk of alienating the public by the implication that a police officer's life is somehow worth more than any other member of society.

The people who did this are utter cowards and I for one hope they rot in Britain's oldest, darkest, most unpleasant, medieval, overcrowded jail for the rest of their lives, preferably in a cell with one of the country's more notorious sex offenders.

But I don't think hanging or any other capital punishment is the answer.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Strike said:
Except if u do something very nasty against the Royals like destroy one of their ships or do treason, or murder one of the members.

No, the death penalty was abolished for treason in the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, and replaced with life imprisonment. It cannot be brought back unless we derogate from the ECHR (which we put into English and Scottish law with the Human Rights Act).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
West Hoathly Seagull said:
No, the death penalty was abolished for treason in the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, and replaced with life imprisonment. It cannot be brought back unless we derogate from the ECHR (which we put into English and Scottish law with the Human Rights Act).

Damn right, imagine how outrageous it would be for someone to hang for shooting Prince Edward, for example. As if his life is worth more than anyone else's.

Amazed it took until 1998 for that one to be changed.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Gwylan said:
There's no place for a death penalty in a civilised society.

But I'd like to think that life meant life in this case.

Exactly. As these actions show just how uncivilised society really is life should mean life and the perpetrator(s) executed.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
West Hoathly Seagull said:

Thanks for informing me about that, a old teacher at school told me the now out of date fact after it was outlawed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So for all the posts we have saying the Death Penalty is wrong - and none saying it should come back, how come the 37% who believe they should hang don't post on here their reasons? Is it because they don't want to inflame a debate that state-sponsored execution is actually murder by another name?

The state has no more right to end a life any more than a private individual.

If you regard life as a time greater spent with quality rather than quantity, and if you simply think about it - then a good life ended before its' time is blessed far more than a long life of poor quality.

The death sentence would relieve perpetrators of heinous crime, more than it punishes them. How do you effect a life's quality by simply ending it?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
they haven;t even been charged yet..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4453726.stm

.. and not sure about life sentences, either- why should taxpayer have to feed/clothe them for rest of their natural? (which some how, i can't see being too long anyway..)

a tragic loss to the family converned.

wtf is going on in this country??:angry:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Doubts are being cast on the guilt of a Texas man executed more than a dozen years ago after the crime's lone witness recanted and a co-defendant said he allowed his friend to be falsely accused under police pressure, the Houston Chronicle reported Sunday.

Ruben Cantu was 17 in 1984 when he was charged with capital murder in the fatal shooting of a man during an attempted robbery in San Antonio. The victim was shot nine times with a rifle before the gunman unloaded more rounds into the only eyewitness.

The eyewitness, Juan Moreno, told the Chronicle that it wasn't Cantu who shot him. Moreno said he identified Cantu as the killer during his 1985 trial because he felt pressured and was afraid of authorities.

Meanwhile, Cantu's co-defendant, David Garza, recently signed a sworn affidavit saying he allowed his friend to be accused, even though Cantu wasn't with him the night of the killing.

Cantu was executed at age 26. He had long professed his innocence.

"Part of me died when he died," said Garza, who was 15 at the time of the murder. "You've got a 17-year-old who went to his grave for something he did not do. Texas murdered an innocent person."

Miriam Ward, forewoman of the jury that convicted Cantu, said the panel's decision was the best they could do based on the information presented during the trial.

"With a little extra work, a little extra effort, maybe we'd have gotten the right information," Ward said. "The bottom line is, an innocent person was put to death for it. We all have our finger in that."

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The Large One said:
So for all the posts we have saying the Death Penalty is wrong - and none saying it should come back, how come the 37% who believe they should hang don't post on here their reasons? Is it because they don't want to inflame a debate that state-sponsored execution is actually murder by another name?

The state has no more right to end a life any more than a private individual.
Nope they are all chomping at the bit and salavating at the prospect of Glitter being exicuted, see thread!
http://northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60975

Last edited:

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
A life for a life.Yes i would hang anyone convicted of murder where Dna and strong evidence proves without doubt the culprit or culprits guilt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here