Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the club try harder to attract gay fans?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ultimately, when we get the stadium at Falmer, we're going to need to justify its existence by filling it.

I see no problem with the Albion targeting some of their advertising towards the gay community in Brighton. It's no different to giving tickets to schools, for example, or putting posters in amateur clubs' grounds.

It's all about getting more people through the gates, isn't it, not more gay fans, not more young fans, just more fans, full stop.

Who cares where they come from? Anyone who decides to support the Albion is alright by me. I was born in Kent, but nobody ever suggested to me I should support Gillingham instead, so why shouldn't someone (who happens to be gay) from, say, Liverpool, become interested in the Albion? What has anyone's sexuality got to do with their liking for football or passion for the mighty Seagulls?

And to suggest gay fans would only be interested in looking at the players' legs is patronising in the extreme. Whoever said that, do you think that about all us female fans at the Albion as well? On second thoughts, don't answer that...

At the end of the day, if attracting some of the sizeable gay community in Brighton & Hove could guarantee (say) an extra 4000 people on the gate each home game, who here would turn down the extra revenue that would generate, "because they're poofs, innit"? Cash is cash in our position, however you get it.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
edna krabappel said:
Ultimately, when we get the stadium at Falmer, we're going to need to justify its existence by filling it.

I see no problem with the Albion targeting some of their advertising towards the gay community in Brighton. It's no different to giving tickets to schools, for example, or putting posters in amateur clubs' grounds.

It's all about getting more people through the gates, isn't it, not more gay fans, not more young fans, just more fans, full stop.

Who cares where they come from? Anyone who decides to support the Albion is alright by me. I was born in Kent, but nobody ever suggested to me I should support Gillingham instead, so why shouldn't someone (who happens to be gay) from, say, Liverpool, become interested in the Albion? What has anyone's sexuality got to do with their liking for football or passion for the mighty Seagulls?

And to suggest gay fans would only be interested in looking at the players' legs is patronising in the extreme. Whoever said that, do you think that about all us female fans at the Albion as well? On second thoughts, don't answer that...

At the end of the day, if attracting some of the sizeable gay community in Brighton & Hove could guarantee (say) an extra 4000 people on the gate each home game, who here would turn down the extra revenue that would generate, "because they're poofs, innit"? Cash is cash in our position, however you get it.

Marvellous and on the spot.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
edna krabappel said:

A rather Mature sensible post - you do realise we are back on NSC don't you ?

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If we wanted to attract the Gay Community, I'd suggest getting out a retro kits with the skimpy shorts !:safeway2: :safeway2: :safeway

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We've done our best to attract the gay vote with pink jerseys and NOBO sponsors. It hasn't been a total success. I thought the Dean Saunders photo would have been a watershed, but it hasn't proved the case.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Maybe we could have a 'Friends of Dorothy' day to open Falmer. Bob Booker could dress as Judy with Dick Knight as Toto.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
What a pathetic idea attracting gays to football:lolol: they already go to football matches you plonks,most you wouldn't even think are gay like safeway etc:p

You attract more gays you will have a empty stadium im sure of that:drink: gays do what they want and go where they want.Realistic terms you are disciminating them for some unknown reason???

the gays im sure have been going to football for decades,every club has them at every match end of.:eek:

My point is that if you mean attract proper looking gays like dressed up and very visible then you will have a massive prob at matches,most albion fans won't like that one bit.:lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
berkshire seagull said:
What a pathetic idea attracting gays to football:lolol: they already go to football matches you plonks,most you wouldn't even think are gay like safeway etc:p

You attract more gays you will have a empty stadium im sure of that:drink: gays do what they want and go where they want.Realistic terms you are disciminating them for some unknown reason???

the gays im sure have been going to football for decades,every club has them at every match end of.:eek:

My point is that if you mean attract proper looking gays like dressed up and very visible then you will have a massive prob at matches,most albion fans won't like that one bit.:lolol:

Your signature reminded me of a Southampton car sticker I saw in Brighton today: 'The Saints - We Are The South' with a picture of St Marys. A little bit cheeky, if not dellusional that one.

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
Cheeky Monkey said:
Your signature reminded me of a Southampton car sticker I saw in Brighton today: 'The Saints - We Are The South' with a picture of St Marys. A little bit cheeky, if not dellusional that one.

It wasn't Alan Blayney by any chance, was it?

(Clutching at straws)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
johnny jigsaw said:
It wasn't Alan Blayney by any chance, was it?

(Clutching at straws)

It was well parked in a tight spot so with that kind of spacial awareness I can only assume that it was Blaney yes. That said, I believe it was a Corsa......

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Sorry but he can't drive.

Tank gave him lifts to Brighton.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
berkshire seagull said:

the gays im sure have been going to football for decades,every club has them at every match end of

even playing for them...although not brave enough in most cases to make it public knowledge-now why could that be?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here